2001-11-26 11:14:06

by Elgar, Jeremy

Subject: Mixing Patches: pre-emptive + xfs

Hello
Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is
this a really bad idea)

I'm thinking of adding the pre-emptive patch to my laptop and desk top.

Cheers

Jeremy

(BTW both are 2.4.14)

2001-11-26 15:54:04

by listmail

Subject: Re: Mixing Patches: pre-emptive + xfs

You may need to do some custom work to get them to play well together,
this is true of any double or Triple patched kernel. I frequently patch
with 2 sometimes 3 different patches (one less now that ext3 is in the
kernel!) and find that it sometimes takes a little looking around in the
diffs to make sure that the patches do not conflict. But it can be done.
I have not looked at these specific patches however.

Bill Dunn

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Elgar, Jeremy wrote:

> Hello
> Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is
> this a really bad idea)
>
> I'm thinking of adding the pre-emptive patch to my laptop and desk top.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jeremy
>
> (BTW both are 2.4.14)
> -

by Michael Dunsky

Elgar, Jeremy wrote:

> Hello
> Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is
> this a really bad idea)
>
> I'm thinking of adding the pre-emptive patch to my laptop and desk top.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jeremy
>
> (BTW both are 2.4.14)

Well - it works.

I have both patches runnig here (installed the xfs-patches and after
that the preempt-2.4.14-2 - only 2 or 3 minor offsets while patching).
System "feels" fluid now - but my UT crashes hard while using that
kernel :( Seems it doesn't like it. But while normal work no problems
detected until now...

ciao

Michael

2001-11-26 20:27:21

by Robert Love

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 06:13, Elgar, Jeremy wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is
> this a really bad idea)
>
> I'm thinking of adding the pre-emptive patch to my laptop and desk top.

Although I haven't done any formal testing on XFS, I have heard XFS and
preempt-kernel work fine together from a couple of users.

The only problem reported was a compile error, which Keith Owens merged
a fix for. If you do have problems, report them and perhaps we can
help.

Robert Love

2001-12-02 07:47:59

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:13:33AM -0000, Elgar, Jeremy wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is this
> a really bad idea)

I run xfs+preempt on a headless firewall machine for quite some time without
any appearent problem.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.16)

Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.