2001-12-10 09:52:07

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: Patches in 2.4.17-pre2 that aren't in 2.5.1-pre8

Hi,

patches that go into the stable kernel should also go into the development
kernel. I was wondering how good this works and I was surprised that only
few patches that were applied to the 2.4 kernels also went into the 2.5
kernels. Below is a list of patches in 2.4.17-pre2 that are missing in
2.5.1-pre8. The name below the changelog entries is the name of the file
if you download the missing patches from [1].

Before applying them they need to be checked: Most of the patches apply
cleanly but there are some (most of them trivial) rejects and what's more
important: I checked whether the patches seem to be missing from
2.5.1-pre8, not whether they compile or produce working code.

I don't know whether this work is redundant, I was mostly interested in
how much of the patches in the 2.4 kernels went into the 2.5 kernels. If
it helps other people I can continue it up to more recent 2.4 kernels.

Any comments are welcome.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel/missing-2.4.17pre2-2.5.1pre8.tar.gz

2.4.16-pre1
- Make pagecache readahead size tunable via /proc (was in -ac tree)
2.4.16-pre1-readahead-tuneable
- Fix PPC kernel compilation problems (Paul Mackerras)
2.4.16-pre1-ppc-compile

2.4.17-pre1
- Speeling fix for rd.c (From Ralf Baechle's tree)
2.4.17-pre1-rd.c-spelling
- Updated URL for bigphysmem patch in v4l docs (Adrian Bunk)
2.4.17-pre1-bigphysmem-url
- Add buggy 440GX to broken pirq blacklist (Arjan Van de Ven)
2.4.17-pre1-440GX-broken_pirq
- Add new entry to Sound blaster ISAPNP list (Arjan Van de Ven)
2.4.17-pre1-soundblaster-isapnp
- Update osst sound driver to 1.65 (Willem Riede)
[this is a SCSI Tape Driver]
2.4.17-pre1-osst-update
- Fix i810 sound driver problems (Andris Pavenis)
2.4.17-pre1-i810-fix
- Add AF_LLC define in network headers (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
[really added in pre2]
2.4.17-pre2-network-headers-llc-define
- block_size cleanup on some SCSI drivers (Erik Andersen)
2.4.17-pre1-scsi-block_size
- Added missing MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") in some (Andreas Krennmair)
modules
2.4.17-pre1-module-license
- Updated i8k driver (Massimo Dal Zoto)
2.4.17-pre1-i8k-update
- devfs update (Richard Gooch)
[part of it was already merged in 2.5.1-pre2; Richard has separate
patches for the 2.5 series]

2.4.17-pre2
- Remove userland header from bonding driver (David S. Miller)
2.4.17-pre2-bonding-remove-userland-header
- Unregister devices at shaper unload time (David S. Miller)
2.4.17-pre2-shaper-unload-register-devices
- Remove several unused variables from various
places in the kernel (David S. Miller)
[patch to drivers/md/lvm-snap.c is already in 2.5]
2.4.17-pre2-remove-unused-variables
- Fix RTC driver bug (David S. Miller)
2.4.17-pre2-rtc-bugfix
- SPARC 32/64 update (David S. Miller)
2.4.17-pre2-sparc-update
- W9966 V4L driver update (Jakob Jemi)
2.4.17-pre2-W9966-update
- Fix PCMCIA problem with multiple PCI busses (Paul Mackerras)
2.4.17-pre2-pcmcia-fix-pci
- IA64 PAL/signal headers cleanup (Nathan Myers)
2.4.17-pre2-ia64-headers-cleanup
- Change NLS "licenses" to be "GPL/BSD" instead
only BSD. (Robert Love)
2.4.17-pre2-nls-correct-licenses
- Fix serial module use count (Russell King)
2.4.17-pre2-serial-fix-use-count
- ieee1394 update (Ben Collins)
2.4.17-pre2-ieee1394-update
- ReiserFS fixes (Nikita Danilov)
[the fix to fs/reiserfs/journal.c is already in 2.5]
2.4.17-pre2-reiserfs-fixes
- Smarter atime update (Andrew Morton)
2.4.17-pre2-atime-smarter-update
- Correctly mark ext2 sb as dirty and sync it (Andrew Morton)
2.4.17-pre2-ext2-sb-mark-correctly-dirty
- [changes to intermezzo and jbd.h]
2.4.17-pre2-misc

- Update sg to 3.1.22 (Douglas Gilbert)
[s/sg/cs/ ?]
- PCMCIA update (David Hinds)
2.4.17-pre2-pcmcia

2001-12-10 10:04:17

by Alan

Subject: Re: Patches in 2.4.17-pre2 that aren't in 2.5.1-pre8

> patches that go into the stable kernel should also go into the development
> kernel. I was wondering how good this works and I was surprised that only

In many cases that isnt true, and for a lot of the pending patches its
pointless merging them into 2.5 until 2.5 gets into better shape. Going back
over them as you have done is something that does need doing, but not until
the block layer has some semblance of completion about it

2001-12-10 11:44:15

by Nicolas ASPERT

Hello all

> In many cases that isnt true, and for a lot of the pending patches its
> pointless merging them into 2.5 until 2.5 gets into better shape. Going back
> over them as you have done is something that does need doing, but not until
> the block layer has some semblance of completion about it

Well I just saw the opposite ;-) ... A patch I had submitted a few weeks
ago for Intel 830MP agp support has been intgrated in 2.5.1-pre3, but is
still not in the 2.4 branch... Several users have reported success with
this patch, so unless somebody shows storng opposition, I would suggest
to merge it...
Get it here : http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~aspert/patches/patch-agp_i830mp-2.4.16

Best regards
--
Nicolas Aspert Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)

2001-12-10 17:10:37

by Marcelo Tosatti

Nicolas,

Who is the maintainer of the driver ?

Try to think from my side: I may have no hardware or time to test all
patches which come to me.

Please, people, send this kind of driver changes to the people who know
all hardware specific details.

If there is no maintainer for i810, I'll be glad to apply it on 2.4.18pre
and wait for reports. Not going to be on 2.4.17, though.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Nicolas Aspert wrote:

> Hello all
>

> > In many cases that isnt true, and for a lot of the pending patches its
> > pointless merging them into 2.5 until 2.5 gets into better shape. Going back
> > over them as you have done is something that does need doing, but not until
> > the block layer has some semblance of completion about it
>
> Well I just saw the opposite ;-) ... A patch I had submitted a few weeks
> ago for Intel 830MP agp support has been intgrated in 2.5.1-pre3, but is
> still not in the 2.4 branch... Several users have reported success with
> this patch, so unless somebody shows storng opposition, I would suggest
> to merge it...
> Get it here : http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~aspert/patches/patch-agp_i830mp-2.4.16
>
> Best regards
> --
> Nicolas Aspert Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS)
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)

2001-12-10 17:22:57

by Nicolas ASPERT

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> Who is the maintainer of the driver ?

According to the 'MAINTAINERS' file, nobody. So everything related to
the topic goes through you :-)

> Try to think from my side: I may have no hardware or time to test all
> patches which come to me.

That's why I did not pressed you. I sent you the patch something like
two weeks ago, but I know you have a very big amount of email, and many
other things to test/apply/reject/whatever. I just noticed that what I
sent to you and Linus had been merged into the 2.5 tree, which motivated
my reply, just to know the state of the

> Please, people, send this kind of driver changes to the people who know
> all hardware specific details.

As stated previously, there is no one for this... I only got positive
feedback about my patches by Robert Love, but as you he did not have the
hardware/time to test.

> If there is no maintainer for i810, I'll be glad to apply it on 2.4.18pre
> and wait for reports. Not going to be on 2.4.17, though.

You're the boss ;-) As I said, I got at least 3 successful feedbacks for
this patch, and the fact that Linux got it into the tree kinda confirms
my thought that there might not be too many things broken in it. The
choice of putting it into 2.4.17 or 2.4.18 is entirely yours, and I
accept it whatever it is. Keep me informed ;-)

Best regards

--
Nicolas Aspert Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)

2001-12-10 17:22:07

by Alan

> Who is the maintainer of the driver ?

The XFree86 project, on alternate wednesday afternoons when the moon is blue
and there isn't a "y" in the day

> Try to think from my side: I may have no hardware or time to test all
> patches which come to me.

Ditto. Thats what 2.4.x-pre_1_ is for 8)

2001-12-10 18:22:50

by Robert Love

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 10:53, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Who is the maintainer of the driver ?
>
> Try to think from my side: I may have no hardware or time to test all
> patches which come to me.
>
> Please, people, send this kind of driver changes to the people who know
> all hardware specific details.
>
> If there is no maintainer for i810, I'll be glad to apply it on 2.4.18pre
> and wait for reports. Not going to be on 2.4.17, though.

The maintainer is MIA. I have been doing recent work on the driver. I
can confirm Nicolas patch is correct.

Robert Love

2001-12-10 18:30:58

by Marcelo Tosatti

On 10 Dec 2001, Robert Love wrote:

> On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 10:53, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > Who is the maintainer of the driver ?
> >
> > Try to think from my side: I may have no hardware or time to test all
> > patches which come to me.
> >
> > Please, people, send this kind of driver changes to the people who know
> > all hardware specific details.
> >
> > If there is no maintainer for i810, I'll be glad to apply it on 2.4.18pre
> > and wait for reports. Not going to be on 2.4.17, though.
>
> The maintainer is MIA. I have been doing recent work on the driver. I
> can confirm Nicolas patch is correct.

Lets wait 2.4.18pre for this one, OK ?

2001-12-10 18:49:48

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On 10 Dec 2001 13:18:51 -0500
Robert Love <[email protected]> wrote:

> > If there is no maintainer for i810, I'll be glad to apply it on 2.4.18pre
> > and wait for reports. Not going to be on 2.4.17, though.
>
> The maintainer is MIA. I have been doing recent work on the driver. I
> can confirm Nicolas patch is correct.

If I remember right, this was the "nice" version of a pretty simple patch of mine, which the user encountering the problem has confirmed to work. It really seems ok for inclusion.

Regards,
Stephan