2002-01-08 23:34:49

by David Weinehall

Subject: [Announcement] linux-2.0.40-rc1

Uhhhm, ok, no big objections to -pre3 arose, but
Daniel Phillips found a naughty little bug in ext2fs. However,
Ville and Samuli have run quite a few tests with Daniel's patch,
and cannot seem to trigger the bug any longer.

Hence I'm declaring this the first release candidate for 2.0.40.
Try it out, please.

2.0.40-rc1

o Fix possible vmalloc bug for (Ralf Baechle)
architectures with virtually
indexed caches
o Micro-optimization in vmalloc (Ralf Baechle)
o Fix group descriptor corruption (Daniel Phillips,
in ext2fs Ville Herva,
Samuli K?rkk?inen)
o Fix some missing includes (me)
o Change array-size from 0 to 1 for (me)
two arrays in the symbol-table
in include/linux/module.h
o Fix type of struct timeval xtime in (me)
include/linux/sched.h
o Fix warnings in include/linux/skbuff.h (me)
o Fix a few typos in Configure.help (me)
o Various small whitespace changes (me)
and fixes of strange indentation
| I know some of you won't like this
| and I don't give a damn ;-)

2.0.40-pre3

o Fix typo in sched.c (Tim Sutherland)
| this time for real; I applied this
| patch to the wrong kernel-tree last
| time, hence the reject
o IDE probe patch for some ATAPI drives (Geert Van der Plas)

2.0.40-pre2

o Make pci2000 compile (Joseph Martin)
o Use KERNELRELEASE in module (me)
installpath as well
o Removed unused variable in (me)
ext2/super.c
o Fixed warning in ext2/dir.c (me)
o Fix a blunder of my own in (me)
arch/kernel/i386/traps.c
o Fix typo in sched.c (Tim Sutherland)
o Fix bug in mkdep.c (Tim Sutherland)
o Fix bug in autoirq.c (Michael Deutschmann)
o Add allocation debugging code (Michael Deutschmann)
o Fix bugs in the math-emu code (Bill Metzenthen,
Michael Deutschmann)

2.0.40-pre1

o Fixed the ordering of (Philipp Rumpf)
watchdog initialising, to make sure
hardware watchdogs takes precedence
over the softdog driver
o Fix the CREDITS-entry for (Kai Petzke)
Kai Petzke
o Updated the MAINTAINERS-file a little (me)
o Fix "dumpable"-race (Solar Designer)
o Fix theoretical exploit in printk (Solar Designer)
o Backported checkconfig.pl, (me)
checkhelp.pl and checkincludes.pl
from v2.4
o Backported support for tags and (me)
TAGS
o Added an extra-version entry to (me)
the version#, to keep track of
the prepatches etc.
o Fix all occurences of (me)
#endif BLABLA type; don't forget
that it should be /* BLABLA */ !!!

Regards: David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2002-01-09 00:10:19

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: Re: [Announcement] linux-2.0.40-rc1

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:34:24AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> o Fix some missing includes (me)
> o Change array-size from 0 to 1 for (me)
> two arrays in the symbol-table
> in include/linux/module.h

My comment is about these author attributions, this "(me)" seems
to refer to 5-10 people who make different patch collections.

Could you folks consider instead using your own name ?
(And allow Linus to be "me", if he so desires.)

> Regards: David Weinehall
> _ _
> // David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\

/Matti Aarnio

2002-01-09 09:26:21

by Daniel Phillips

On January 9, 2002 01:09 am, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:34:24AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> > o Fix some missing includes (me)
> > o Change array-size from 0 to 1 for (me)
> > two arrays in the symbol-table
> > in include/linux/module.h
>
> My comment is about these author attributions, this "(me)" seems
> to refer to 5-10 people who make different patch collections.
>
> Could you folks consider instead using your own name ?
> (And allow Linus to be "me", if he so desires.)

Hi Matti,

It's perfectly clear that the (me) above is David Weinehall.

Given the huge amount of work required to maintain an active tree, why would
you begrudge the maintainer the little perk of using the 'royal me' in that
space?

--
Daniel

2002-01-10 01:29:20

by Jari Ruusu

David Weinehall wrote:
> Hence I'm declaring this the first release candidate for 2.0.40.
> Try it out, please.
>
> 2.0.40-rc1
[snip]
> o Change array-size from 0 to 1 for (me)
> two arrays in the symbol-table
> in include/linux/module.h

Please revert above change. It makes struct symbol_table.symbol[] one entry
long, and effectively _kills_ module support.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <[email protected]>

2002-01-10 03:56:03

by David Weinehall

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 03:28:51AM +0200, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> David Weinehall wrote:
> > Hence I'm declaring this the first release candidate for 2.0.40.
> > Try it out, please.
> >
> > 2.0.40-rc1
> [snip]
> > o Change array-size from 0 to 1 for (me)
> > two arrays in the symbol-table
> > in include/linux/module.h
>
> Please revert above change. It makes struct symbol_table.symbol[] one
> entry long, and effectively _kills_ module support.

Well, I don't really like the magic used in module.h one bit, but I'll
revert this for now.

Anyone who could comment on whether usage of [] instead of [0] would
be better? [0] seems to have been deprecated in later versions of gcc,
so there _has_ to be some legal way of expressing what the kernel wants
to do here.

/David Weinehall
_ _