2002-04-20 16:51:33

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: CONFIG_RAMFS in 2.4.19-pre7-ac2 ???

hi

After upgrading to 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, I can't get CONFIG_RAMFS into the
kernel. And - diskless clients seem to work better with it, as they can't
get a rootfs without it.

Any ideas?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Dan Kegel

Subject: re: CONFIG_RAMFS in 2.4.19-pre7-ac2 ???

Roy wrote:
> After upgrading to 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, I can't get CONFIG_RAMFS

Gee, I hope CONFIG_RAMFS isn't going away. I need it to
do loopback mounts of cramfs on an embedded system that
uses tmpfs as its main filesystem. (tmpfs doesn't support
loopback mounts.)
- Dan

2002-04-20 20:55:15

by Dan Kegel

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Roy wrote:
> > After upgrading to 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, I can't get CONFIG_RAMFS

The release notes say that ramfs needs a bit of work,
so if you found ramfs was broken, maybe that's why.

> Linux 2.4.19pre7-ac2
> o Removepage hooks as per old -ac (Christoph Rohland)
> | This lets shmfs/ramfs keep accounting straight
> | ramfs needs someone to drop in the other old -ac bits stil

- Dan

2002-04-21 16:13:11

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Roy wrote:
> > After upgrading to 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, I can't get CONFIG_RAMFS
>
> Gee, I hope CONFIG_RAMFS isn't going away. I need it to
> do loopback mounts of cramfs on an embedded system that
> uses tmpfs as its main filesystem. (tmpfs doesn't support
> loopback mounts.)

I beleive it's there by default after -pre7, but somehow it doesn't work

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Dan Kegel <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Roy wrote:
> > After upgrading to 2.4.19-pre7-ac2, I can't get CONFIG_RAMFS
>
> Gee, I hope CONFIG_RAMFS isn't going away. I need it to
> do loopback mounts of cramfs on an embedded system that
> uses tmpfs as its main filesystem. (tmpfs doesn't support
> loopback mounts.)

CONFIG_RAMFS is probably going away, but that doesn't mean ramfs is
going away. At least in Linux 2.5 ramfs will end up being required
core code.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2002-04-23 11:43:36

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> CONFIG_RAMFS is probably going away, but that doesn't mean ramfs is
> going away. At least in Linux 2.5 ramfs will end up being required
> core code.

According to what I was told by a guy at #KernelNewbies, CONFIG_RAMFS
isn't there in (menu|x)?config after -pre7, but in by default. problem is
- it doesn't work

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Christoph Hellwig

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 01:43:23PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > CONFIG_RAMFS is probably going away, but that doesn't mean ramfs is
> > going away. At least in Linux 2.5 ramfs will end up being required
> > core code.
>
> According to what I was told by a guy at #KernelNewbies, CONFIG_RAMFS
> isn't there in (menu|x)?config after -pre7, but in by default. problem is
> - it doesn't work

fs/Config.in (2.4.19-pre7):
define_bool CONFIG_RAMFS y

[root@sb root]# uname -a
Linux sb.bsdonline.org 2.4.19-pre7-rmap13 #1 SMP Mon Apr 22 22:04:13 CEST 2002 i686 unknown
[root@sb root]# mount -tramfs none /mnt/
[root@sb root]# cp ~/mcslock.h /mnt/
[root@sb root]# ls -l /mnt/
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1275 Apr 23 14:58 mcslock.h
[root@sb root]#