2002-06-11 12:43:26

by Matthew Hall

Subject: [PROBLEM] sundance on d-link dfe-580tx

Hello lkml, jeff and donald,

I have been testing the D-Link DFE-580TX Quad channel server card (4
port nic), on kernel 2.4.18 with little success.

Attached are the appropriate results of dmesg, ifconfig, lspci and
modules.conf; aswell as the results of the pci-testing tool found on
scyld.com, however the card does not support mii testing, claiming to
have no MII transceiver.

Specifically, the sundance module can be modprobe'd, and the interfaces
of the 4port nic (eth2->eth5) can be brought up with ifconfig, and to
all intents and purposes *should* be working, however the results of
`tail dmesg` and `tail messages` show a transmit timeout on all the
nic's interfaces and testing the interfaces with ping returns host
unreachable (only on this card, the onboard nic and single port pci card
both work properly).

I would appreciate being informed if there is a fix in a later
version,or if any more debugging information is required I would be
happy to oblige.

Matthew Hall

--
Matthew Hall -- [email protected] -- http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/
Sig: When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm

Attachments:
ifconfig (3.19 kB)
lspci (7.92 kB)
modules.conf (154.00 B)
pci-config (606.00 B)
dmesg (710.00 B)

by Donald Becker

> I have been testing the D-Link DFE-580TX Quad channel server card (4
> port nic), on kernel 2.4.18 with little success.
>
> Attached are the appropriate results of dmesg, ifconfig, lspci and
> modules.conf; aswell as the results of the pci-testing tool found on
> scyld.com, however the card does not support mii testing, claiming to
> have no MII transceiver.

Please provide the full detection message.

It appears that you are using a driver that doesn't correctly read the
EEPROM, and has additional problems. Try a current driver from
http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
ftp://http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/sundance.c
http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

and run diagnostic program from
http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

--
Donald Becker [email protected]
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com

2002-06-13 14:57:40

by Matthew Hall

Thanks for your reply Donald,
I have tried and tested the sundance.c file as you indicated, and the
netdrivers packages with a recompiled kernel, yet we still cannot get
this (damn) card working :)

We're still getting these transmit timeouts:
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth5: transmit timed out
eth5: Transmit timed out, status 00, resetting...
Rx ring c71d4000: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000
Tx ring c71d5000: 80008001 80008005 80008009 8000800d 80008011
80008015 80008019 8000801d 80008021 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

(it is still in the back of my head whether the card works at all...)

Just in case you can provide any more insight into this I compiled the
alta-diag tool, for debugging purposes, the results of -aa, -ee and -mm
are attached, aswell as the full detection message from dmesg after
modprob'ing the module.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Hall

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 04:39, Donald Becker wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2002, Matthew Hall wrote:
>
> > To: Kernel <[email protected]>
> > Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
> > I have been testing the D-Link DFE-580TX Quad channel server card (4
> > port nic), on kernel 2.4.18 with little success.
> >
> > Attached are the appropriate results of dmesg, ifconfig, lspci and
> > modules.conf; aswell as the results of the pci-testing tool found on
> > scyld.com, however the card does not support mii testing, claiming to
> > have no MII transceiver.
>
> Please provide the full detection message.
>
> It appears that you are using a driver that doesn't correctly read the
> EEPROM, and has additional problems. Try a current driver from
> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> ftp://http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/sundance.c
> http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html
>
> and run diagnostic program from
> http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
>

> --
> Donald Becker [email protected]
> Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
> Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993
>
> -
Matthew Hall -- [email protected] -- http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/
Sig: When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm
beginning to believe it. - Clarence Darrow

Attachments:
alta-diag_aa (2.79 kB)
alta-diag_ee (7.71 kB)
alta-diag_mm (1.73 kB)
detectionmessage (5.07 kB)

by Ben Greear

Dlink has driver source on their web page (somewhere) that
evidently works. I'll attach a copy, but I have not had
a chance to test it yet.

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

Attachments:
sundance.c (43.35 kB)

2002-06-13 16:12:38

by Donald Becker

On 13 Jun 2002, Matthew Hall wrote:

> Subject: Re: [PROBLEM] sundance on d-link dfe-580tx
>
> I have tried and tested the sundance.c file as you indicated, and the
> netdrivers packages with a recompiled kernel, yet we still cannot get
> this (damn) card working :)

You are still running the old driver, not the driver at
http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
ftp://http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/sundance.c

> Just in case you can provide any more insight into this I compiled the
> alta-diag tool, for debugging purposes, the results of -aa, -ee and -mm
> are attached, aswell as the full detection message from dmesg after
> modprob'ing the module.

I never released a "1.01b" driver in January 2002. The 1.01a driver was
released about two years ago. The current version is
sundance.c:v1.06 1/28/2002

The diagnostic program is reading the correct station address, however
the driver you are using is reading a bogus address. I believe that
that my driver release should correctly work with this card.

--
Donald Becker [email protected]
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993

2002-06-14 10:15:23

by Marcus Sundberg

Matthew Hall <[email protected]> writes:

> I have been testing the D-Link DFE-580TX Quad channel server card (4
> port nic), on kernel 2.4.18 with little success.

[snip]

> I would appreciate being informed if there is a fix in a later
> version,or if any more debugging information is required I would be
> happy to oblige.

I have to define USE_IO_OPS to get the sundance driver to work with
the DFE-580TX. I haven't investigated why.

//Marcus
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------
Marcus Sundberg <[email protected]> | Firewalls with SIP & NAT

2002-06-14 16:06:31

by Matthew Hall

Sorry to bother you again Donald, but I'm still having problems,
The following error comes up when I make modules with the 1.06 version:

sundance.c: In function `sundance_probe1':
sundance.c:464: `pci_tbl' undeclared (first use in this function)
sundance.c:464: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sundance.c:464: for each function it appears in.)
sundance.c: In function `cleanup_module':
sundance.c:1372: `pci_tbl' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [sundance.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/net'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

I've checked the code of sundance.c, pci-scan.h and kern_compat.c and
pci_tbl isn't defined or declared anywhere in these files, am I missing
something else, or going crazy?
Thanks in advance,

Matthew Hall

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 17:12, Donald Becker wrote:
> You are still running the old driver, not the driver at
> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> ftp://http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/sundance.c
>
> > Just in case you can provide any more insight into this I compiled the
> > alta-diag tool, for debugging purposes, the results of -aa, -ee and -mm
> > are attached, aswell as the full detection message from dmesg after
> > modprob'ing the module.
>
> I never released a "1.01b" driver in January 2002. The 1.01a driver was
> released about two years ago. The current version is
> sundance.c:v1.06 1/28/2002
>
> The diagnostic program is reading the correct station address, however
> the driver you are using is reading a bogus address. I believe that
> that my driver release should correctly work with this card.

2002-06-14 21:52:06

by Donald Becker

On 14 Jun 2002, Matthew Hall wrote:

> Sorry to bother you again Donald, but I'm still having problems,
> The following error comes up when I make modules with the 1.06 version:
>
> sundance.c: In function `sundance_probe1':
> sundance.c:464: `pci_tbl' undeclared (first use in this function)

The line before these said that 'pci-scan.h' couldn't be found.

ftp://http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/pci-scan.h

Read
http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

> I've checked the code of sundance.c, pci-scan.h and kern_compat.c and
> pci_tbl isn't defined or declared anywhere in these files, am I missing
> something else, or going crazy?

--
Donald Becker [email protected]
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993

2002-07-12 02:32:46

by Kwijibo

Just to give some confirmation of the operation of this new driver.
I had had the same error messages as Matthew did. I followed
the instructions on Donald's site on making the new drivers and
it works great now. It found everything correctly with the following
output:

sundance.c:v1.07 7/3/2002 Written by Donald Becker <[email protected]>
http://www.scyld.com/network/sundance.html
eth0: OEM Sundance Technology ST201 at 0xdc00, 00:05:5d:e6:2b:19, IRQ 11.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x782d advertising 01e1.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x782d advertising 01e1.
eth1: OEM Sundance Technology ST201 at 0xd880, 00:05:5d:e6:2b:1a, IRQ 10.
eth1: MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth1: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth2: OEM Sundance Technology ST201 at 0xd800, 00:05:5d:e6:2b:1b, IRQ 9.
eth2: MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth2: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth3: OEM Sundance Technology ST201 at 0xd480, 00:05:5d:e6:2b:1c, IRQ 11.
eth3: MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth3: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.

I am now sending this message over it.
Any idea when this will be merged into mainstream kernel?

Thanks,
Steven