2002-09-09 19:39:12

by Otto Wyss

Subject: Portrait display mode with framebuffer drivers

I'm considering buying a SyncMaster 171T which is turn able 90? and comes with
the Pivot software for Macintosh and Windows. Are the framebuffer drivers also
capable of turning the display 90?? If yes is it possible for any graphics card
or are there any limitations?

O. Wyss

--
Author of "Debian partial mirror synch script"
("http://dpartialmirror.sourceforge.net/")

2002-09-11 17:08:05

by Erik Mouw

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:43:49PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I'm considering buying a SyncMaster 171T which is turn able 90? and comes with
> the Pivot software for Macintosh and Windows. Are the framebuffer drivers also
> capable of turning the display 90?? If yes is it possible for any graphics card
> or are there any limitations?

XFree can do it on Compaq Ipaq handhelds running Linux (which use dumb
framebuffers). No kernel support needed, runs out-of-the-box.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw
Email: [email protected]

(No filename) (575.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Nicolas Pitre

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:43:49PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > I'm considering buying a SyncMaster 171T which is turn able 90? and comes with
> > the Pivot software for Macintosh and Windows. Are the framebuffer drivers also
> > capable of turning the display 90?? If yes is it possible for any graphics card
> > or are there any limitations?
>
> XFree can do it on Compaq Ipaq handhelds running Linux (which use dumb
> framebuffers). No kernel support needed, runs out-of-the-box.

However, the kernel support for rotating the virtual console text is still
missing.

Nicolas