2003-03-07 17:45:54

by Joel Becker

Subject: WimMark I for 2.5.64

WimMark I report for 2.5.64

Runs: 1430.06 1194.90

WimMark I is a rough benchmark we have been running
here at Oracle against various kernels. Each run tests an OLTP
workload on the Oracle database with somewhat restrictive memory
conditions. This reduces in-memory buffering of data, allowing for
more I/O. The I/O is read and sync write, random and seek-laden.
The benchmark is called "WimMark I" because it has no
official standing and is only a relative benchmark useful for comparing
kernel changes. The benchmark is normalized an arbitrary kernel, which
scores 1000.0. All other numbers are relative to this.
The machine in question is a 4 way 700 MHz Xeon machine with 2GB
of RAM. CONFIG_HIGHMEM4GB is selected. The disk accessed for data is a
10K RPM U2W SCSI of similar vintage. Unless mentioned, all runs are
on this machine (variation in hardware would indeed change the
benchmark).

--

"I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns, and
women join the unqualified men in running our overnment."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (650) 506-8127

2003-03-07 18:07:26

by Stephen Wille Padnos

Subject: Re: WimMark I for 2.5.64

Interesting, but a couple of questions:
Which arbitrary kernel scores 1000.0?
Is the score very consistent on that kernel and machine? (what kind of
max/min scores do you get?)

- Steve

Joel Becker wrote:

>kernel changes. The benchmark is normalized an arbitrary kernel, which
>scores 1000.0. All other numbers are relative to this.

2003-03-07 19:05:58

by Joel Becker

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:18:50PM -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Is the score very consistent on that kernel and machine? (what kind of
> max/min scores do you get?)

The scores for a particular kernel are pretty consistent.
That's the intent. Some kernels I'll have data for multiple runs, and
you can see the variation between runs.

Joel

--

"Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them