2003-08-14 09:28:19

by Mark Watts

Subject: Via KT400 agpgart issues

2003-08-14 10:29:31

by Rahul Karnik

Subject: Re: Via KT400 agpgart issues

Mark Watts wrote:
<snip>
> I'm running a GeForce FX 5600 128Mb with AGP 3.0 support enabled.

AFAIK 2.4.21 does not have AGP 3.0 support. Can you turn that off? If
not, use a more recent kernel (2.6.x has what you need, not sure about
2.4.22pre).

Thanks,
Rahul
--
Rahul Karnik

by dleonard

For my geforce3 and geforce4 I didn't notice anything odd about using the
KT400 chipset in spite of agpgart not fully supporting it.

For my fx5800 I actually *had* to use the nvidia agp driver to get
anything other than console mode to function. Now it could be that I just
needed to drop the AGP rate to 4x in bios but frankly I didn't think of
that option until I'd already switched to using the nvidia code. The
nvidia agp code has been behaving quite well under 2.4.20 and 2.4.22-pre*
for me.

--

<Douglas Leonard>
<[email protected]>

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Mark Watts wrote:

> -

by Dave Jones

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:53:02AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> For my geforce3 and geforce4 I didn't notice anything odd about using the
> KT400 chipset in spite of agpgart not fully supporting it.

KT400 has two modes of operation. If you have an AGP 2.x graphics card,
the registers are in the same place they are on earlier VIA chipsets.
If you plug in an AGP 3.x card, you have to read from alternative
registers, and some of the legacy ones change meaning.

Dave

--
Dave Jones http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2003-08-14 18:50:04

by Dave Jones

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:25:12AM +0100, Mark Watts wrote:

> Ok, I _am_ using the nVidia modules (on 2.4.21) but the fact that the agpgart
> driver can't sense my agp apature size is concerning... (its set to 256MB in
> the bios)
>
> 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4496 Wed Jul
> 16 19:03:09 PDT 2003
> Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
> agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT400 chipset
> agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.
> 0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table
>
> I'm running a GeForce FX 5600 128Mb with AGP 3.0 support enabled.
> It seems to run ok, but its slower than the Ti 4200-4x I took out by a larger
> margin than it really should be (according to the benchmarks I've seen
> scattered through the internet.)
> I'm also running with the Local APIC turned on (it doesnt seem to break
> anything).
>
> Is anything actually broken or is this nothing to worry about?

Caused due to lack of AGP 3.x support in 2.4
See 2.6.0-test

Dave

--
Dave Jones http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2003-08-15 08:02:17

by Mark Watts

2003-08-15 11:07:39

by Dave Jones

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:59:03AM +0100, Mark Watts wrote:

> I thought the KT400 chipset (at least) had been backported to 2.4.21 ?

Only for AGP2.x mode.

> I'm not experiancing any technical problems. The nvidia /proc interfaces are
> reporting that I'm running at agp 8x

if its using its own agpgart routines, maybe. If it isn't, it's broken,
or lying.

> , and I have full hardware acceleration
> enough to play games like Unreal Tournament 2003 quite fast (~50fps), its
> just that agpgart cant find my aperature size...

which happens when agpgart tries to read the AGP2.x size, when the
chipset is in 3.x mode.

> I just tried my vendors (mandrake) 2.4.22 kernel and I get exactly the same
> output.

No vendor that I know of has backported the AGP3 support it its
entirity. The closest to a backport so far is the trainwreck that
is the ATI FireGL drivers.

Dave

--
Dave Jones http://www.codemonkey.org.uk