2003-11-02 13:11:35

by Brian Beattie

Subject: Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 08:59, Herman wrote:

> BTW, to my mind, the killer app in a business environment is the automatic
> file versioning feature in longhorn. This protects people against fat finger
> mistakes, and geez, any business has its fair share of fat head, fat finger
> and dumb blond types. This is the only feature from VMS that I am longing
> for...

I have had this idea, for a while, that with the continued fall in price
per bit of storage, and the fact, that back-up strategies are not
catching up and are perhaps falling behind, that maybe a new paradyne
for storage might be feasible soon. The idea is that you have a
permanent store, using raid or raid-like redundancy and file versioning
so that nothing is ever deleted, you just keep adding drives and
replacing those that fail. Of course you'd need some geographic
diversity and a way for storage to migrate to newer "file stores" to
really work, but just think, no more backups to fail...ever!

--
Brian Beattie | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
[email protected] | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto

2003-11-02 17:15:41

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:11:32 EST, Brian Beattie <[email protected]> said:

> for storage might be feasible soon. The idea is that you have a
> permanent store, using raid or raid-like redundancy and file versioning
> so that nothing is ever deleted, you just keep adding drives and
> replacing those that fail. Of course you'd need some geographic
> diversity and a way for storage to migrate to newer "file stores" to
> really work, but just think, no more backups to fail...ever!

This may be very nice for the high end, but getting "geographic diversity"
means you have to get space in a colo of some sort (unless you're a big enough
site that you have another building of your own at least a mile or two away),
and bandwidth between the two sites.

Somehow, I don't see this anytime soon for the home user, the SOHO user, or the
small company that has 7-8 internal servers and a T-1.

Remember that for this to work, the bandwidth and off-site storage has to be
available at a cost the user can afford. Remember that a lot of people aren't
too happy with the current price point for cable or DSL access - and those
price points are set with a high overcommital of bandwidth. If everybody
starts trying to do backups over the network, the provider will have to build
out more capacity, and raise the price to cover it.

Yes, we're looking at offsite disk mirroring as a backup solution. But we're
lucky that we have a large open space in a switch room some 3 miles from the
data center and dark fiber from here to there. But it's STILL going to be a
big chunk of change. I dread to think what it would cost per month if we had to
pay for the space and bandwidth.

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-11-03 19:35:46

by Brian Beattie

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 12:15, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:11:32 EST, Brian Beattie <[email protected]> said:
>
> > for storage might be feasible soon. The idea is that you have a
> > permanent store, using raid or raid-like redundancy and file versioning
> > so that nothing is ever deleted, you just keep adding drives and
> > replacing those that fail. Of course you'd need some geographic
> > diversity and a way for storage to migrate to newer "file stores" to
> > really work, but just think, no more backups to fail...ever!
>
> This may be very nice for the high end, but getting "geographic diversity"
> means you have to get space in a colo of some sort (unless you're a big enough
> site that you have another building of your own at least a mile or two away),
> and bandwidth between the two sites.

I don't know about anytime soon and it woudl be a real paradyne(sp?)
shift. As it is right now home many home users do backups ate all. The
replication could well be rather low bandwidth, more to CYA in the event
of a fire of natural disaster, and really a secondary issue. What
intriques me, is the notion of a permanent file store that is never
deleted.

I have no idea if this will every make sense, but I notice, that I
always have more disk than will fit on any backup media I can afford.
So this is really just a "what if?" thought.

--
Brian Beattie | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
[email protected] | programmer, direct or contract, short or
http://www.beattie-home.net | long term, available immediately.

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto

2003-11-03 20:23:30

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:17:55 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:

> Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like paradigm!
> How about "really good example..." (which is what it means).

No, a paradigm is "a way of looking at things" or "a world view".
So this would include paradigms like "the world is flat" or "monolithic
kernels are preferable" or "gcc is the only compiler for the kernel".

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-11-03 20:18:08

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Brian Beattie wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 12:15, [email protected] wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:11:32 EST, Brian Beattie <[email protected]> said:

[SNIPPED...]

> I don't know about anytime soon and it woudl be a real paradyne(sp?)

Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like paradigm!
How about "really good example..." (which is what it means).

[SNIPPED...]

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

by Roland Dreier

Richard> Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like
Richard> paradigm! How about "really good example..." (which is
Richard> what it means).

Valdis> No, a paradigm is "a way of looking at things" or "a world
Valdis> view". So this would include paradigms like "the world is
Valdis> flat" or "monolithic kernels are preferable" or "gcc is
Valdis> the only compiler for the kernel".

Actually "paradigm" has both meanings -- it may mean "example" _or_
"framework."

- R.

2003-11-03 20:54:22

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 [email protected] wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:17:55 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:
>
> > Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like paradigm!
> > How about "really good example..." (which is what it means).
>
> No, a paradigm is "a way of looking at things" or "a world view".
> So this would include paradigms like "the world is flat" or "monolithic
> kernels are preferable" or "gcc is the only compiler for the kernel".

No. don't you think I look things up in a dictionary before I
write a definition?

The Webster's "New Collegiate Dictionary", 150th Anniversary
Edition clearly states;

1. EXAMPLE, PATTERN;esp: an outstandingly clear or typical
example or archetype.

It was stolen from the study of languages where it was used
to exhibit a word in all of its inflectional forms. It has
been corrupted to mean some "new view" of something while, in
fact, it is defined to mean EXAMPLE or PATTERN.

It is particularly irksome to me because I studied Latin in
High School, where I first encountered this word. My second
encounter was where somebody corrupted it to mean some kind
of new idea. Then some idiot named a company Paradigm and
the end was clear.

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:54:29 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:

> No. don't you think I look things up in a dictionary before I
> write a definition?
>
> The Webster's "New Collegiate Dictionary", 150th Anniversary
> Edition clearly states;
>
> 1. EXAMPLE, PATTERN;esp: an outstandingly clear or typical
> example or archetype.

The current prevailing paradigm is that words mean what convention says they
mean, not what the dictionary says.

You got as much chance of reclaiming that word as you do "hacker". ;)

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-11-04 08:46:39

by Michael Clark

On 11/04/03 04:54, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> It is particularly irksome to me because I studied Latin in
> High School, where I first encountered this word. My second
> encounter was where somebody corrupted it to mean some kind
> of new idea. Then some idiot named a company Paradigm and
> the end was clear.

How do you know the guy is an idiot - did you meet him?

Quite a good name for a loudspeaker company in respect to providing
a 'reference example' for sound.

Although funny they have a registered trademark for 'Paradigm'
- a bit generic methinks.

~mc

2003-11-04 12:46:23

by Richard B. Johnson

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Michael Clark wrote:

> On 11/04/03 04:54, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > It is particularly irksome to me because I studied Latin in
> > High School, where I first encountered this word. My second
> > encounter was where somebody corrupted it to mean some kind
> > of new idea. Then some idiot named a company Paradigm and
> > the end was clear.
>
> How do you know the guy is an idiot - did you meet him?
>
> Quite a good name for a loudspeaker company in respect to providing
> a 'reference example' for sound.
>
> Although funny they have a registered trademark for 'Paradigm'
> - a bit generic methinks.
>
> ~mc

Yes, metaparadigm is much more meaningful --and it can mean anything
you want it to because it had not been previously defined for a few
hundred years!

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:54, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:17:55 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:
> >
> > > Yeah. Nobody should ever use a word that's spelled like paradigm!
> > > How about "really good example..." (which is what it means).
> >
> > No, a paradigm is "a way of looking at things" or "a world view".
> > So this would include paradigms like "the world is flat" or "monolithic
> > kernels are preferable" or "gcc is the only compiler for the kernel".
> >

> No. don't you think I look things up in a dictionary before I
> write a definition?
>
> The Webster's "New Collegiate Dictionary", 150th Anniversary
> Edition clearly states;
>
> 1. EXAMPLE, PATTERN;esp: an outstandingly clear or typical
> example or archetype.

And I read the complete reference before I get pissy

"One entry found for paradigm.
Main Entry: par?a?digm
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"dIm also -"dim
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin paradigma, from Greek paradeigma, from
paradeiknynai to show side by side, from para- + deiknynai to show --
more at DICTION
Date: 15th century
1 : EXAMPLE, PATTERN; especially : an outstandingly clear or typical
example or archetype
2 : an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its
inflectional forms
3 : a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or
discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the
experiments performed in support of them are formulated"

Futher English is a plastic language and meanings and nuances change
over time.