2005-03-31 18:26:49

by Emmanuel Papirakis

Subject: off topic: GPL and binary modules

Hello,

before I go on, let me say that I did check the FAQ. I also checked
the available archives, but curiously did not find an answer to my
question (so I did Read The Fantastic Manual).

As you know, most available drivers do come with the source code. But,
still, some come in binary form (often providing just enough code to
make them compliant with new kernel releases).

Is this a GPL violation ? In any case, what is the official position
on the subject (is this legal or just tolerated) ?

Thank you

Emmanuel

--
UNIX IS very user friendly. It is just selective about its friends...

2005-03-31 18:39:14

by Brian Gerst

Subject: Re: off topic: GPL and binary modules

Emmanuel Papirakis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> before I go on, let me say that I did check the FAQ. I also checked
> the available archives, but curiously did not find an answer to my
> question (so I did Read The Fantastic Manual).
>
> As you know, most available drivers do come with the source code. But,
> still, some come in binary form (often providing just enough code to
> make them compliant with new kernel releases).
>
> Is this a GPL violation ? In any case, what is the official position
> on the subject (is this legal or just tolerated) ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Emmanuel

Search the list archives, this has been flamed to death already.

--
Brian Gerst

2005-03-31 18:59:34

by Lee Revell

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 13:39 -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> Search the list archives, this has been flamed to death already.

Actually, don't search the list archives. Talk to a lawyer about it.

Even if you get legal advice it's probably pointless to pass it on to
the list because you will just get a bunch of non lawyers arguing with
it.

Lee

2005-03-31 19:11:48

by Steven Rostedt

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 13:39 -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> Emmanuel Papirakis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > before I go on, let me say that I did check the FAQ. I also checked
> > the available archives, but curiously did not find an answer to my
> > question (so I did Read The Fantastic Manual).
> >
> > As you know, most available drivers do come with the source code. But,
> > still, some come in binary form (often providing just enough code to
> > make them compliant with new kernel releases).
> >
> > Is this a GPL violation ? In any case, what is the official position
> > on the subject (is this legal or just tolerated) ?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Emmanuel
>
> Search the list archives, this has been flamed to death already.

You don't need to search very far. There's still a flame thread going on
today. Just search for

"Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!."

At least you were correct in putting in "off topic".

-- Steve