2005-11-30 01:25:27

by Michael Krufky

Subject: Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem

Don Koch wrote:

>>If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.
>>

>No difference.
>
>Back to looking at the code...

Okay, it looks like nxt200x is a red herring, sorry for the false
alarm. Even still, Kirk, it would be very helpful if you could confirm
analog video functionality of your pcHDTV 3000 board, using either
2.6.15-rc3, or v4l-dvb cvs on top of any kernel version.

...But before that, please first try it in your current configuration.

I do not have this board, and there *IS* a problem with it... Based on
the tests done by Gene and Don, it looks like the regression is inside
the v4l code, although this doesnt make any sense, as other cards with
similar hardware are not affected.

I don't know any of the specifics about this board, besides the fact
that is has OR51132 (irrelevant - the problem exists even without
cx88-dvb loaded) Thomson DDT 7610, and a cx2388x chip.

I have two cx88 boards of my own - FusionHDTV5 Gold, everything works
fine, both analog and digital. FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, using Thomson DDT
7611 (same as 7610) , and digital works, but the analog tuner is
completely broken, regardless of what kernel version, regardless of
whether I'm using Linux or windows, and it used to work a few months ago.

I think my hardware is fried, but since Gene is able to restore
functionality by a cold boot into 2.6.14.2, it makes me think his
problem is because of bad code, where my problem is due to bad hardware.

All I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.

::sigh::

Who wants to do it? I'll give you detailed instructions if you're willing.

Regards,
Mike

2005-11-30 05:07:58

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:

[...]

>All I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
>
>::sigh::

A sigh? More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
is...

>Who wants to do it? I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
> willing.
>
>Regards,
>Mike

Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us? Or do you want
to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
again? I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer. How many
actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there? I know, I
coulda went all week without asking that :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
>>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
>>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
>>
>>::sigh::
>>

>A sigh? More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
>is...
>
>>Who wants to do it? I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
>>willing.
>>

>Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us? Or do you want
>to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
>incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
>again? I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
>page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer. How many
>actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there? I know, I
>coulda went all week without asking that :(

Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...

This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
instructions....

reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

so....

1st:

cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
make clean
make
make install

test

(you already did this - you said doesnt work)

Now, try again, using last month's code:

cvs up -D 2005-11-01
make clean
make
make install

did it work? yes? ok, so try two weeks later:

cvs up -D 2005-11-15
make clean
make
make install

... or no it didnt? then another month earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-01
make clean
make
make install

works now? try two weeks later:

cvs up -D 2005-10-15
make clean
make
make install

doesnt work? 1 week earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-07
make clean
make
make install

doesnt work? 1 day earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-06
make clean
make
make install

it works? hmm... problem patch must have been committed between 10-06
and 10-07

At that point, just give me the date and it will probably be easy to
narrow it down, or then again, you can use time of day in the -D
parameter too... (see man cvs)

anyway, you get the picture... This is an adaptation for cvs based on
Linus' description of the git bisection testing, and I'm sure that there
are more efficient ways of doing it, but this should work.

Cheers,

Mike

2005-11-30 15:54:11

by Don Koch

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
> >>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
> >>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.

Do we know of a date where the code is known to work. First thing I'd like to
do is verify that the card works at all. Remember, I've never seen NTSC tuner
mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the card is busted.

Thanks,
-d

2005-12-01 00:25:20

by Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:53, Don Koch wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>> >
>> >[...]
>
>Do we know of a date where the code is known to work.

I assume this is actually a question. Its one I'm not privy to other
than whats in 2.6.14.3 and earlier works. As to when that was merged
into the kernel tarballs, I'll let Michael see if he can date it. And
then we'ed want to look at anything post that merge date, using the
bisect methods suggested.

However, its not going to be started here tonight, I need some sleep,
drank way too much coffee yesterday & didn't sleep last night at all.

>First thing I'd
> like to do is verify that the card works at all. Remember, I've never
> seen NTSC tuner mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the
> card is busted.

It should work with a stock 2.6.14.3 build if its going to work I
think, although there may be other factors for cards other than my
pcHDTV-3000. Michael?

>Thanks,
>-d
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in the body of a message to [email protected]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
> >>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
> >>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
> >>
> >>::sigh::
> >>

> >A sigh? More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
> >is...
> >
> >>Who wants to do it? I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
> >>willing.
> >>

> >Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us? Or do you want
> >to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
> >incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
> >again? I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
> >page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer. How many
> >actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there? I know, I
> >coulda went all week without asking that :(
> >
> Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...
>
> This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
> instructions....
>
> reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>
> so....
>
> 1st:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
> cd v4l-dvb
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> test
>
> (you already did this - you said doesnt work)
[...]
> cvs up -D 2005-10-15
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> doesnt work? 1 week earlier:
>
> cvs up -D 2005-10-07
> make clean
> make
> make install

Let's put it this way: for me, 2005-10-10 doesn't work and anything earlier doesn't build. I've tried building against 2.6.15-rc3, 2.6.14 and 2.6.13. The card doesn't
work against the built-in 2.6.13 code, but the tuner is sending bizarre stuff
to it (channel 2 is *not* at 97.25 MHz). 2.6.14 kept spewing:

CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
cx88[0]: ioctl 0xc054561d (v4l2, rw, VIDIOC_G_TUNER)

all over the syslog.

Build issues include broken Makefiles (around 10-08) and missing header files.

> Cheers,
>
> Mike

-d

2005-12-01 03:59:23

by Michael Krufky

Don Koch wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>

>>>On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>A sigh? More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
>>>is...

>>>Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us? Or do you want
>>>to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
>>>incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
>>>again? I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
>>>page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer. How many
>>>actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there? I know, I
>>>coulda went all week without asking that :(
>>>

>>Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...
>>
>>This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
>>instructions....
>>
>>reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>>
>>so....
>>
>>1st:
>>
>>cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
>>cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
>>cd v4l-dvb
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>
>>test
>>
>>(you already did this - you said doesnt work)
>>

>[...]
>

>>cvs up -D 2005-10-15
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>
>>doesnt work? 1 week earlier:
>>
>>cvs up -D 2005-10-07
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>

>Let's put it this way: for me, 2005-10-10 doesn't work and anything earlier doesn't build. I've tried building against 2.6.15-rc3, 2.6.14 and 2.6.13. The card doesn't
>work against the built-in 2.6.13 code, but the tuner is sending bizarre stuff
>to it (channel 2 is *not* at 97.25 MHz). 2.6.14 kept spewing:
>
>CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
>cx88[0]: ioctl 0xc054561d (v4l2, rw, VIDIOC_G_TUNER)
>
>all over the syslog.
>
>Build issues include broken Makefiles (around 10-08) and missing header files.
>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Mike

hmm... would those be unresolved symbols in relation to dvb frontends?

This would be because we only recently merged the cvs trees, and the
older builds dont include the dvb frontends in the v4l build. You can
fix it by doing the following:

Be sure to "make clean" before and after each checkout -- it's necessary
because of what the scripts below do to the build configuration.

Before running make (EACH TIME) do this:

1- edit v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh ... delete everything
BETWEEN these two lines... being sure to leave both of them intact.:

#!/bin/sh

patch -p2 <<'DIFF'

...do the same thing to v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh

You will have to do it for each checkout, unfortunately. If you are
using a more recent checkout (past few days) then you do not have to
edit these files, as they have been deleted when the build was updated
for the merger of v4l+dvb cvs.

2) make merge-trees

3) make

4) make install

...because of the "merge-trees" command, you'll have to run "make clean"
each time before you cvs check out (cvs co) again.

I hope this works........

-Mike

2005-12-01 04:08:55

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:53, Don Koch wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>>
>>Michael Krufky wrote:

>>Do we know of a date where the code is known to work.
>>

>I assume this is actually a question. Its one I'm not privy to other
>than whats in 2.6.14.3 and earlier works. As to when that was merged
>into the kernel tarballs, I'll let Michael see if he can date it. And
>then we'ed want to look at anything post that merge date, using the
>bisect methods suggested.
>

>>First thing I'd
>>like to do is verify that the card works at all. Remember, I've never
>>seen NTSC tuner mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the
>>card is busted.
>>

>It should work with a stock 2.6.14.3 build if its going to work I
>think, although there may be other factors for cards other than my
>pcHDTV-3000. Michael?

2.6.14 was released about a month ago... so, to be safe, I'd say about 2
months ago in cvs...

The idea of a bisection test is to always make your next test based on
half the amount of changesets... It's not as easy to do this with cvs as
it is with git, but we can make the best of it......

so, ideally, your tests can be like this:

1- 2months ago.
2- 1month ago
3- 2 weeks ago
4- 3 weeks ago
5- 2 weeks, 3 days ago
6- 2 weeks, 1 day ago

.... at that point, we can look at the cvs commit logs and either

a) start checking out individual patches

or

b) start making the checkout based on time of day in addition of date,
in the form,
YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN

2005-12-01 14:59:57

by Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:
cvs up -D 2005-10-15
was done inside the checkouts v4l-dvb dir
make (in the v4l subdir) clean, ok
make then blows up with:
root@coyote v4l]# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

So what I figured to be a good starting point isn't.

So I stepped back to the parent v4l-dvb dir, and did a
cvs up -D 2005-11-1, which updated a whole bunch of stuff, and then I
get this:
[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.

So it looks as if I don't know what I'm doing (and I obviously don't)
Where am I losing it here?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

> [...]

> configuration.
>
>Before running make (EACH TIME) do this:
>
>1- edit v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh ... delete everything
>BETWEEN these two lines... being sure to leave both of them intact.:
>
>#!/bin/sh

>patch -p2 <<'DIFF'
>

>...do the same thing to v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh
>
>You will have to do it for each checkout, unfortunately. If you are
>using a more recent checkout (past few days) then you do not have to
>edit these files, as they have been deleted when the build was updated
>for the merger of v4l+dvb cvs.
>

>2) make merge-trees
>
>3) make
>
>4) make install
>
>...because of the "merge-trees" command, you'll have to run "make
> clean" each time before you cvs check out (cvs co) again.

Nope, see previous post, I can't get past this for say 2005-11-1:
[root@coyote scripts]# vim unmerge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# cd ..
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.

So let me go back to 2005-10-1 & try that. But that ends the cvs up -D
2005-10-1 with:
Merging differences between 1.47 and 1.25 into merge-trees.sh
rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
cvs update: conflicts found in v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh
C v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh
P v4l/scripts/prepare-ChangeLog.pl
P v4l/scripts/strip-trailing-whitespaces.sh
RCS file: /cvs/video4linux/v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/Attic/unmerge-trees.sh,v
retrieving revision 1.44
retrieving revision 1.23
Merging differences between 1.44 and 1.23 into unmerge-trees.sh
rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
cvs update: conflicts found in v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh
C v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh

& that bails out with the message:
[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l/scripts
[root@coyote scripts]# vim unmerge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# vim merge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# cd ..
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
make: *** No rule to make target `merge-trees'. Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
rm -f *~ *.o *.ko *.mod.c
rm -f .version .*.o.flags .*.o.d .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmd
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
make: *** No rule to make target `merge-trees'. Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael. Or I'm
doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch with a
fresh checkout each time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

by Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:

And somebody in the Cc: list of this thread is using an SPI from
spam.com and the confirm message contains no indication of who you are.
I do NOT do sender verifications as it just seems to confirm I'm a good
address to spam. I get several hundred a day the way it is. So if you
aren't seeing my messages, only the replies to them, well... Tough.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

>So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael. Or I'm
>doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch with a
>fresh checkout each time.

Wipe out the cvs tree and do a fresh checkout each time.

-Mike

2005-12-01 15:41:03

by Perry Gilfillan

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:
>cvs up -D 2005-10-15
>was done inside the checkouts v4l-dvb dir
>make (in the v4l subdir) clean, ok
>make then blows up with:
>root@coyote v4l]# make
>make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
>make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
>needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'. Stop.
>make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
>make: *** [default] Error 2
>
>So what I figured to be a good starting point isn't.
>
>So I stepped back to the parent v4l-dvb dir, and did a
>cvs up -D 2005-11-1, which updated a whole bunch of stuff, and then I
>get this:
>[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l
>[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
>.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.
>[root@coyote v4l]# make
>.version:1: *** missing separator. Stop.
>
>So it looks as if I don't know what I'm doing (and I obviously don't)
>Where am I losing it here?

I've been able to pin point the time of the fault to changes commited to
v4l cvs at "2005-10-17 16:02."

In summary:

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.

Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
Analog failes, s-video and composite work.

To test this, fron v4l-dvb/ ( not v4l-dvb/v4l/ ):

cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:02"
make distclean
make
make install

Do a cold boot, and test.

cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:01"
make distclean
make
make install

Do a cold boot and test.

Cheers,

Perry

2005-12-01 17:02:00

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:40, Perry Gilfillan wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:

[...]
>I've been able to pin point the time of the fault to changes commited
> to v4l cvs at "2005-10-17 16:02."
>
>In summary:
>
>cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
>Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.
>
>Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!
>
>cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
>Analog failes, s-video and composite work.
>

>To test this, fron v4l-dvb/ ( not v4l-dvb/v4l/ ):
>
>cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:02"
>make distclean
>make
>make install
>
>Do a cold boot, and test.
>
>cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:01"
>make distclean
>make
>make install
>
>Do a cold boot and test.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Perry

Unforch, it appears that Makefile is broken as its expecting to find a
link named linux in the /usr/src dir that points at the present kernels
tree. Per Linus's instructions that link was removed what, 2 years ago?

Anywho, its exiting rather quickly with this message:

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make distclean
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l distclean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
find . -name '*.c' -type l -exec rm '{}' \;
find . -name '*.h' -type l -exec rm '{}' \;
rm -f *~ *.o *.ko *.mod.c
rm -f .version .*.o.flags .*.o.d .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmd
rm -rf .tmp_versions
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'

Which looks ok, so...

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
echo "No version yet."
No version yet.
uname -r|perl -ne 'if (/^([0-9]*)\.([0-9])*\.([0-9]*)(.*)$/) { printf
("VERSION=%s\nPATCHLEVEL:=%s\nSUBLEVEL:=%s\nKERNELRELEASE:=%s.%s.%s%s\n"
,$1,$2,$3,$1,$2,$3,$4); };' > ./.version
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
creating symbolic links...
find: ../linux/drivers/usb/media: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [links] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

The ./v4l/.version file:
VERSION=2
PATCHLEVEL:=6
SUBLEVEL:=14
KERNELRELEASE:=2.6.14.3

which appears correct to me.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:38, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael. Or
>> I'm doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch
>> with a fresh checkout each time.
>
>Wipe out the cvs tree and do a fresh checkout each time.
>
>-Mike

Thats what I just did and got the broken makefile.

I just posted another msg that gives a blow by blow.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)