2009-01-31 00:23:39

by Bartosz SKOWRON

Subject: libata - anomaly performance with NCQ

Hi,

here is a problem:
http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Seagate_harddrive_performance_anomaly_with_hdparm

and my disk is affected by this one as well.
it's ST9320421AS and you can add it to the list

And 2 questions:
1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
wrong?
2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?

bart.

2009-01-31 01:07:38

by Robert Hancock

Subject: Re: libata - anomaly performance with NCQ

Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is a problem:
> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Seagate_harddrive_performance_anomaly_with_hdparm
>
> and my disk is affected by this one as well.
> it's ST9320421AS and you can add it to the list
>
> And 2 questions:
> 1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
> physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
> wrong?

Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least
some impact in other usage.

> 2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
> Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
> seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?

I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but
normally only if you contact support I think.

2009-01-31 01:25:26

by Bartosz SKOWRON

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:

>> 1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
>> physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
>> wrong?
> Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least some
> impact in other usage.

It's not an answer for my question. So, should I check with other
benchmarks? I thought that this's issue is investigated and the answer
is common. Do you recommend any "not crude" benchmarks? :)

>> 2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
>> Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
>> seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?
> I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but
> normally only if you contact support I think.

I will send the email cause there is no phone line for my country.
BTW. upgrade firmware == damage data?

2009-01-31 05:18:18

by Robert Hancock

Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> 1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
>>> physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
>>> wrong?
>> Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least some
>> impact in other usage.
>
> It's not an answer for my question. So, should I check with other
> benchmarks? I thought that this's issue is investigated and the answer
> is common. Do you recommend any "not crude" benchmarks? :)

bonnie++ is one I've used, I'm sure there are others.. Of course, what
do you compare the results to..

>>> 2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
>>> Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
>>> seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?
>> I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but
>> normally only if you contact support I think.
>
> I will send the email cause there is no phone line for my country.
> BTW. upgrade firmware == damage data?

It shouldn't, but some people with the recent 7200.11 drives that did
firmware upgrades reported it bricked the drive, so backing up the data
first would definitely be a good idea..