2012-02-17 12:39:32

by Maarten Lankhorst

Subject: RE: perf, x86: Disable PEBS on SandyBridge chips

Hey Peter,

Why is PEBS disabled? If I look at the intel_clovertown_quirks I can see
why it's disabled for that cpu, but the sandy bridge one lacks any kind
of clarification or information on why, or how I can learn more.

Cheers,
Maarten

2012-02-17 15:12:37

by Peter Zijlstra

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 13:39 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> Why is PEBS disabled? If I look at the intel_clovertown_quirks I can see
> why it's disabled for that cpu, but the sandy bridge one lacks any kind
> of clarification or information on why, or how I can learn more.

hpa, could you get the official Intel answer on this?

2012-02-17 21:40:04

by H. Peter Anvin

On 02/17/2012 07:12 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 13:39 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
>> Hey Peter,
>>
>> Why is PEBS disabled? If I look at the intel_clovertown_quirks I can see
>> why it's disabled for that cpu, but the sandy bridge one lacks any kind
>> of clarification or information on why, or how I can learn more.
>
> hpa, could you get the official Intel answer on this?

*Where* is PEBS disabled?

-hpa

2012-02-17 22:08:13

by David Ahern

On 2/17/12 2:40 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 07:12 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 13:39 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
>>> Hey Peter,
>>>
>>> Why is PEBS disabled? If I look at the intel_clovertown_quirks I can see
>>> why it's disabled for that cpu, but the sandy bridge one lacks any kind
>>> of clarification or information on why, or how I can learn more.
>>
>> hpa, could you get the official Intel answer on this?
>
> *Where* is PEBS disabled?

arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel.c,
intel_sandybridge_quirk()

David

2012-02-17 22:12:20

by H. Peter Anvin

On 02/17/2012 02:08 PM, David Ahern wrote:
> On 2/17/12 2:40 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>> hpa, could you get the official Intel answer on this?
>>
>> *Where* is PEBS disabled?
>
> arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel.c,
> intel_sandybridge_quirk()

OK, this is Peter's patch and I don't think I was involved with it... I
need more of a pointer to be able to track this down.

-hpa