2002-03-25 22:53:07

by Matthew Drobnak

Subject: More observations regarding IPv6 on PPC platform.

While I was attempting to debug a little bit, I installed tcpdump to see
if it was even seeing the router advertisements...Apparently it was..

On top of that, if you keep tcpdump running, IPv6 works fine!

I noticed that when I had it manually configured, whenever any sort of
routing was necessary, a neighbor solicitation was sent out, but never
made it to the other end. However, if I let it auto configure, it worked
fine, and as well if I added on the secondary addresss using "ifconfig
eth1 add ....", so, with that being said, is it a MAC or IP address
filtering problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated, I'd like to get this running, as I'm a
big fan of IPv6... I have 1 IPv4 address, but a whole /48 to work with. :-D

Thanks again,
-Matthew Drobnak

2002-03-26 00:30:39

by Thunder from the hill

Matthew Drobnak wrote:
> While I was attempting to debug a little bit, I installed tcpdump to see
> if it was even seeing the router advertisements...Apparently it was..
>
> On top of that, if you keep tcpdump running, IPv6 works fine!
tcpdump keeps ethn in promiscuous mode. Maybe this is what was expected?

> I noticed that when I had it manually configured, whenever any sort of
> routing was necessary, a neighbor solicitation was sent out, but never
> made it to the other end. However, if I let it auto configure, it worked
> fine, and as well if I added on the secondary addresss using "ifconfig
> eth1 add ....", so, with that being said, is it a MAC or IP address
> filtering problem?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated, I'd like to get this running, as I'm a
> big fan of IPv6... I have 1 IPv4 address, but a whole /48 to work with. :-D
Addresses for free.

Thunder
--
Thunder from the hill.
Citizen of our universe.

2002-03-26 00:42:31

by David Miller

From: Thunder from the hill <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:30:08 -0700

Matthew Drobnak wrote:
> While I was attempting to debug a little bit, I installed tcpdump to see
> if it was even seeing the router advertisements...Apparently it was..
>
> On top of that, if you keep tcpdump running, IPv6 works fine!

tcpdump keeps ethn in promiscuous mode. Maybe this is what was expected?

Smells like a multicast bug in the network driver/card.

2002-03-26 01:01:00

by Thunder from the hill

David S. Miller wrote:
> tcpdump keeps ethn in promiscuous mode. Maybe this is what was expected?
>
> Smells like a multicast bug in the network driver/card.
An userland way to find out is to check if networking works
as expected if he's running other programs that keep the
network in promisc mode, like nmap.

Thunder
--
Thunder from the hill.
Citizen of our universe.

2002-03-26 07:02:34

by Stephen Oberholtzer

At 06:00 PM 3/25/2002 -0700, Thunder from the hill wrote:
>An userland way to find out is to check if networking works
>as expected if he's running other programs that keep the
>network in promisc mode, like nmap.

or ifconfig eth +promisc?

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

2002-03-26 13:09:19

by Thunder from the hill

Stevie O wrote:
> or ifconfig eth +promisc?
Seems I been a little uneasy about it...
However, we're expecting any answer from that guy.
(At least I am)

Regards,
Thunder
--