2013-07-11 07:31:33

by Hector Palacios

Subject: MXS persistent bits driver

Greetings,

Linux 2.6.35 had a driver for sysfs access to the MXS persistent bits
(drivers/misc/mxs-persistent.c).
I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
Where would such a driver fit?

Best regards,
--
Hector Palacios

2013-07-11 07:44:27

by Hector Palacios

Subject: Re: MXS persistent bits driver

On 07/11/2013 09:30 AM, Hector Palacios wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Linux 2.6.35 had a driver for sysfs access to the MXS persistent bits
> (drivers/misc/mxs-persistent.c).
> I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
> Where would such a driver fit?

Adding Steffen Trumtrar, as I came across his patch:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree/31370

@Steffen, was there no answer to your questions about these being binary attributes?

Best regards,
--
Hector Palacios

2013-07-11 08:24:19

by Maxime Ripard

Hi Hector,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 09:30:34AM +0200, Hector Palacios wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Linux 2.6.35 had a driver for sysfs access to the MXS persistent
> bits (drivers/misc/mxs-persistent.c).

Freescale's 2.6.35 I suspect, right?

> I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
> Where would such a driver fit?

Christoph Baumann recently started porting the Freescale's driver to
newer release.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/181569.html

This needs quite a lot of work, but it's ongoing.

Also, about where to put such a driver, I started a discussion about
this last week. Mostly, that would be part of MTD, from what is out of
the discussion so far.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/182002.html

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Attachments:
(No filename) (915.00 B)
signature.asc (836.00 B)
Digital signature

by Hector Palacios

Dear Maxime,

On 07/11/2013 10:24 AM, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi Hector,
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 09:30:34AM +0200, Hector Palacios wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Linux 2.6.35 had a driver for sysfs access to the MXS persistent
>> bits (drivers/misc/mxs-persistent.c).
>
> Freescale's 2.6.35 I suspect, right?

Yes.

>> I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
>> Where would such a driver fit?
>
> Christoph Baumann recently started porting the Freescale's driver to
> newer release.
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/181569.html
>
> This needs quite a lot of work, but it's ongoing.
>
> Also, about where to put such a driver, I started a discussion about
> this last week. Mostly, that would be part of MTD, from what is out of
> the discussion so far.
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/182002.html

I was talking about RTC persistent bits, not OTP bits, but I they also fit in your
EEPROM like model. I like it!

Best regards,
--
Hector Palacios

2013-07-11 09:12:51

by Steffen Trumtrar

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 09:44:12AM +0200, Hector Palacios wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 09:30 AM, Hector Palacios wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >
> >Linux 2.6.35 had a driver for sysfs access to the MXS persistent bits
> >(drivers/misc/mxs-persistent.c).
> >I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
> >Where would such a driver fit?
>
> Adding Steffen Trumtrar, as I came across his patch:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree/31370
>
> @Steffen, was there no answer to your questions about these being binary attributes?

Hi!

I didn't work on the driver after the v2 and lost track about its whereabouts.
As far as I can see, I didn't get any answers regarding the binary attributes.

Regards,
Steffen

--
Pengutronix e.K. | |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |

2013-07-11 16:37:13

by Maxime Ripard

Hi Hector,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:56:42AM +0200, Hector Palacios wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 10:24 AM, [email protected] wrote:
> >>I haven't seen this is supported upstream. Is anybody working on that?
> >>Where would such a driver fit?
> >
> >Christoph Baumann recently started porting the Freescale's driver to
> >newer release.
> >
> >http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/181569.html
> >
> >This needs quite a lot of work, but it's ongoing.
> >
> >Also, about where to put such a driver, I started a discussion about
> >this last week. Mostly, that would be part of MTD, from what is out of
> >the discussion so far.
> >
> >http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-July/182002.html
>
> I was talking about RTC persistent bits, not OTP bits, but I they
> also fit in your EEPROM like model. I like it!

Oops, sorry, I read your mail too quickly.

But it's true that it would fit quite well in the EEPROM stuff we're
discussing.

Feel free to participate, and I'll let you know if something come out of
it.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons