2012-10-01 07:24:05

by Daniel Vetter

Subject: Re: Re: 3.4.10 i915 [GM45] regression

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 01:15:38PM +0200, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
>> > Ok, now reverted, thanks.
>> >
>> > greg k-h
>>
>> The same patch also breaks 3.0 for me. A 3.0.42 image with the patch
>> reverted was fine, I checked with several restarts.
>>
>> Sort of confirms there is something in >=3.5 that makes this thing work.
>
> Ok, Daniel, should I also revert this on 3.0.y?

/me cries

Yes.

Andreas, can you please check whether 3.5.x works for you, just to
make sure that this particular elephant is only wreaking havoc in 3.4
and earlier?

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

2012-10-01 21:57:18

by Andreas Sturmlechner

> Andreas, can you please check whether 3.5.x works for you, just to
> make sure that this particular elephant is only wreaking havoc in 3.4
> and earlier?

I've been using 3.5 all the time since .0, I never had any trouble there - a few reboots just now with a vanilla 3.5.4 image were
successful as expected. Meanwhile I have upgraded to 3.6, zero issues as well.

by Daniel Vetter

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Andreas Sturmlechner
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Andreas, can you please check whether 3.5.x works for you, just to
>> make sure that this particular elephant is only wreaking havoc in 3.4
>> and earlier?
>
> I've been using 3.5 all the time since .0, I never had any trouble there - a few reboots just now with a vanilla 3.5.4 image were
> successful as expected. Meanwhile I have upgraded to 3.6, zero issues as well.

So 3.5 and later really don't seem to have any issue with this patch.
I'm as puzzled as ever. Thanks for testing this again.

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch

2012-10-04 22:28:47

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 09:17:22AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Andreas Sturmlechner
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Andreas, can you please check whether 3.5.x works for you, just to
> >> make sure that this particular elephant is only wreaking havoc in 3.4
> >> and earlier?
> >
> > I've been using 3.5 all the time since .0, I never had any trouble there - a few reboots just now with a vanilla 3.5.4 image were
> > successful as expected. Meanwhile I have upgraded to 3.6, zero issues as well.
>
> So 3.5 and later really don't seem to have any issue with this patch.
> I'm as puzzled as ever. Thanks for testing this again.

I forgot to revert this for 3.4, I'll do so in the next 3.4-stable
release after this one, thanks.

greg k-h

2012-10-05 19:28:05

by Andreas Sturmlechner

> So 3.5 and later really don't seem to have any issue with this patch.
> I'm as puzzled as ever. Thanks for testing this again.

Bad news from 3.6: I got a blank screen there too, yesterday. Maybe it had even happened in 3.5 once before I got into testing all those 3.4/3.0 images - at my weekend setup there's an external DVI display that won't be fired up by the X200s anyway if the timing isn't right, so that new bug could go by unnoticed there.

So it seems the trouble still exists in >=3.5, but it happens way, way less often (my laptop boots once or twice per day). I should get my other system back up running to be able to try and SSH into the laptop next time this happens at home - just in case I could provide any useful output?

Best regards