2007-10-17 20:49:25

by Lee Revell

Subject: VM question - accounting of SysV SHM

Sorry to ask this question on the list but I've Googled and found nothing.

Is system V shared memory accounted for as Cached, or as normal
application memory?

I have an application that uses SysV shared memory and O_DIRECT for
all IO, but when it starts up, the cached column in vmstat seems to go
up by the amount of shared memory allocated.

Lee

2007-10-17 20:59:30

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: VM question - accounting of SysV SHM

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:49:07 -0400
"Lee Revell" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry to ask this question on the list but I've Googled and found
> nothing.
>
> Is system V shared memory accounted for as Cached, or as normal
> application memory?

Cached.

Shared memory segments basically are tmpfs files.

by Lee Revell

On 10/17/07, Rik van Riel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:49:07 -0400
> "Lee Revell" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Sorry to ask this question on the list but I've Googled and found
> > nothing.
> >
> > Is system V shared memory accounted for as Cached, or as normal
> > application memory?
>
> Cached.
>
> Shared memory segments basically are tmpfs files.

Thanks!

Are there any plans to track it separately in a future kernel release?

I've also noticed that if huge pages are used for the shared memory,
they are not accounted for as cached - I have a 56GB huge page pool
but cached is only 6GB. Is this behavior specific to huge pages?

Finally, are these quirks documented anywhere?

Lee