2023-12-18 07:28:44

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build warning after merge of the jc_docs tree

Hi all,

After merging the jc_docs tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
produced this warning:

include/crypto/hash.h:248: warning: Excess struct member 'digestsize' description in 'shash_alg'

and 636 new similar warnings :-(

Exposed by commit

b77fdd6a48e6 ("scripts/kernel-doc: restore warning for Excess struct/union")

I am not sure what we should do about this ... last Friday I only
got about 18 lines of warnings.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2023-12-18 14:29:06

by Jonathan Corbet

Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the jc_docs tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> produced this warning:
>
> include/crypto/hash.h:248: warning: Excess struct member 'digestsize' description in 'shash_alg'
>
> and 636 new similar warnings :-(
>
> Exposed by commit
>
> b77fdd6a48e6 ("scripts/kernel-doc: restore warning for Excess struct/union")
>
> I am not sure what we should do about this ... last Friday I only
> got about 18 lines of warnings.

The warnings were expected, of course.

The alternatives are to fix the docs or to revert b77fdd6a48e6,
pretending that all those kerneldoc errors don't actually exist. The
fixes should be pretty easy to do (and there's far less of them than it
seems from the number of warnings). I can't get there right away but if
nobody beats me to it I'll try to toss some patches together.

Thanks,

jon

2023-12-20 00:00:09

by Randy Dunlap

On 12/18/23 06:18, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After merging the jc_docs tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
>> produced this warning:
>>
>> include/crypto/hash.h:248: warning: Excess struct member 'digestsize' description in 'shash_alg'
>>
>> and 636 new similar warnings :-(
>>
>> Exposed by commit
>>
>> b77fdd6a48e6 ("scripts/kernel-doc: restore warning for Excess struct/union")
>>
>> I am not sure what we should do about this ... last Friday I only
>> got about 18 lines of warnings.
>
> The warnings were expected, of course.
>
> The alternatives are to fix the docs or to revert b77fdd6a48e6,
> pretending that all those kerneldoc errors don't actually exist. The
> fixes should be pretty easy to do (and there's far less of them than it
> seems from the number of warnings). I can't get there right away but if
> nobody beats me to it I'll try to toss some patches together.

Hi Jon,

Attempt at a little coordination:

It looks like you are working on some net-related patches for this.
I am currently working on fs/ and kernel/ patches.

--
#Randy
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

2023-12-20 00:03:09

by Jonathan Corbet

Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> writes:

> On 12/18/23 06:18, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After merging the jc_docs tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
>>> produced this warning:
>>>
>>> include/crypto/hash.h:248: warning: Excess struct member 'digestsize' description in 'shash_alg'
>>>
>>> and 636 new similar warnings :-(
>>>
>>> Exposed by commit
>>>
>>> b77fdd6a48e6 ("scripts/kernel-doc: restore warning for Excess struct/union")
>>>
>>> I am not sure what we should do about this ... last Friday I only
>>> got about 18 lines of warnings.
>>
>> The warnings were expected, of course.
>>
>> The alternatives are to fix the docs or to revert b77fdd6a48e6,
>> pretending that all those kerneldoc errors don't actually exist. The
>> fixes should be pretty easy to do (and there's far less of them than it
>> seems from the number of warnings). I can't get there right away but if
>> nobody beats me to it I'll try to toss some patches together.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> Attempt at a little coordination:
>
> It looks like you are working on some net-related patches for this.
> I am currently working on fs/ and kernel/ patches.

Oops...I did a few net ones now; they are all sent and I'm done for
today.

Thanks for working on these too!

jon

2023-12-20 00:04:52

by Randy Dunlap

On 12/19/23 16:02, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> writes:

>>> The warnings were expected, of course.
>>>
>>> The alternatives are to fix the docs or to revert b77fdd6a48e6,
>>> pretending that all those kerneldoc errors don't actually exist. The
>>> fixes should be pretty easy to do (and there's far less of them than it
>>> seems from the number of warnings). I can't get there right away but if
>>> nobody beats me to it I'll try to toss some patches together.
>>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> Attempt at a little coordination:
>>
>> It looks like you are working on some net-related patches for this.
>> I am currently working on fs/ and kernel/ patches.
>
> Oops...I did a few net ones now; they are all sent and I'm done for
> today.

No Oops needed. You can have net. I'll stay away from it.