2024-01-05 06:34:09

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build warning after merge of the leds-lj tree

Hi all,

After merging the leds-lj tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
produced this warning:

Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx is defined 2 times: Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:7 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:49
Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/tx is defined 2 times: Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:15 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:34

Introduced by commit

5b755ca677db ("leds: ledtrig-tty: Make rx tx activitate configurable")

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2024-01-08 08:05:37

by Florian Eckert

Hello Stephen,

thanks for your hint

On 2024-01-05 07:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the leds-lj tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> produced this warning:
>
> Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx is defined 2 times:
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:7
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:49
> Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/tx is defined 2 times:
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:15
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:34

The behavior of the tty trigger can be controlled via the Rx and Tx
file.
If a value is set in Rx or Tx, the LED flashes when data is transmitted
in
this direction. The same behavior is used for the netdev trigger.
I have therefore used the same pattern for the new tty trigger as well.

I didn't know that the names have to be unique!

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do now. Should I put a prefix "tty_"
in front of the names so that we have "tty_rx", "tty_tx"?

If we do it this way, however, the general question arises as to whether
we do have to use a prefix everywhere! If new triggers are added, then
the
names for a config file are already used up and anyone who then wants to
use
the same name for an other trigger with the same config file because it
describe
the same function must then work with a prefix!

Best regards

Florian

2024-01-09 11:20:51

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Florian,

On Mon, 08 Jan 2024 08:47:07 +0100 Florian Eckert <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Stephen,
>
> thanks for your hint
>
> On 2024-01-05 07:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the leds-lj tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> > produced this warning:
> >
> > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx is defined 2 times:
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:7
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:49
> > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/tx is defined 2 times:
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:15
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:34
>
> The behavior of the tty trigger can be controlled via the Rx and Tx file.
> If a value is set in Rx or Tx, the LED flashes when data is transmitted in
> this direction. The same behavior is used for the netdev trigger.
> I have therefore used the same pattern for the new tty trigger as well.
>
> I didn't know that the names have to be unique!
>
> I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do now. Should I put a prefix "tty_"
> in front of the names so that we have "tty_rx", "tty_tx"?
>
> If we do it this way, however, the general question arises as to whether
> we do have to use a prefix everywhere! If new triggers are added, then the
> names for a config file are already used up and anyone who then wants to use
> the same name for an other trigger with the same config file because it describe
> the same function must then work with a prefix!

I think this is only a problem with the documentation system, not the
actual sysfs file naming. Maybe just adding a uniquifying bit to the
"<led>" part will solve it. Or maybe we need the tooling to be taught
about placeholders in sysfs names (or maybe there is already a way).

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2024-01-25 00:38:30

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi all,

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:20:31 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2024 08:47:07 +0100 Florian Eckert <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for your hint
> >
> > On 2024-01-05 07:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After merging the leds-lj tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> > > produced this warning:
> > >
> > > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx is defined 2 times: Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:7 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:49
> > > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/tx is defined 2 times: Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:15 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:34
> >
> > The behavior of the tty trigger can be controlled via the Rx and Tx file.
> > If a value is set in Rx or Tx, the LED flashes when data is transmitted in
> > this direction. The same behavior is used for the netdev trigger.
> > I have therefore used the same pattern for the new tty trigger as well.
> >
> > I didn't know that the names have to be unique!
> >
> > I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do now. Should I put a prefix "tty_"
> > in front of the names so that we have "tty_rx", "tty_tx"?
> >
> > If we do it this way, however, the general question arises as to whether
> > we do have to use a prefix everywhere! If new triggers are added, then the
> > names for a config file are already used up and anyone who then wants to use
> > the same name for an other trigger with the same config file because it describe
> > the same function must then work with a prefix!
>
> I think this is only a problem with the documentation system, not the
> actual sysfs file naming. Maybe just adding a uniquifying bit to the
> "<led>" part will solve it. Or maybe we need the tooling to be taught
> about placeholders in sysfs names (or maybe there is already a way).

I am still seeing these warnings.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2024-02-08 23:38:02

by Jonathan Corbet

Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi Florian,
>
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2024 08:47:07 +0100 Florian Eckert <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Stephen,
>>
>> thanks for your hint
>>
>> On 2024-01-05 07:33, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > After merging the leds-lj tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
>> > produced this warning:
>> >
>> > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx is defined 2 times:
>> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:7
>> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:49
>> > Warning: /sys/class/leds/<led>/tx is defined 2 times:
>> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-tty:15
>> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-led-trigger-netdev:34
>>
>> The behavior of the tty trigger can be controlled via the Rx and Tx file.
>> If a value is set in Rx or Tx, the LED flashes when data is transmitted in
>> this direction. The same behavior is used for the netdev trigger.
>> I have therefore used the same pattern for the new tty trigger as well.
>>
>> I didn't know that the names have to be unique!
>>
>> I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do now. Should I put a prefix "tty_"
>> in front of the names so that we have "tty_rx", "tty_tx"?
>>
>> If we do it this way, however, the general question arises as to whether
>> we do have to use a prefix everywhere! If new triggers are added, then the
>> names for a config file are already used up and anyone who then wants to use
>> the same name for an other trigger with the same config file because it describe
>> the same function must then work with a prefix!
>
> I think this is only a problem with the documentation system, not the
> actual sysfs file naming. Maybe just adding a uniquifying bit to the
> "<led>" part will solve it. Or maybe we need the tooling to be taught
> about placeholders in sysfs names (or maybe there is already a way).

So I finally remembered to look at this when I had a chance to... yes,
it wants each ABI entry to be unique, and the ones listed here are not.
I *think* the easiest answer is to take a line like:

What: /sys/class/leds/<led>/rx

and turn it into something like:

What: /sys/class/leds/<netdev-led>/rx

..that makes the warning go away and, I think, conveys the information
just as well. A bit kludgy, perhaps, but I don't really see anything
else there that could be used to disambiguate the names automatically.

Thanks,

jon

2024-02-09 08:03:17

by Lee Jones