2019-05-13 17:06:35

by Alexandre Chartre

Subject: Re: [RFC KVM 03/27] KVM: x86: Introduce KVM separate virtual address space

On 5/13/19 5:45 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 7:39 AM Alexandre Chartre
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> From: Liran Alon <[email protected]>
>>
>> Create a separate mm for KVM that will be active when KVM #VMExit
>> handlers run. Up until the point which we architectully need to
>> access host (or other VM) sensitive data.
>>
>> This patch just create kvm_mm but never makes it active yet.
>> This will be done by next commits.
>
> NAK to this whole pile of code. KVM is not so special that it can
> duplicate core infrastructure like this. Use copy_init_mm() or
> improve it as needed.
>
> --Andy

This was originally inspired from how efi_mm is built. If I remember
correctly copy_init_mm() or other mm init functions do initialization
we don't need in this case; we basically want a blank mm. I will have
another look at copy_init_mm().

In any case, if we really need a mm create/init function I agree it
doesn't below to kvm. For now, this part of shortcuts used for the POC.

alex.