2001-04-21 18:37:53

by Victor Julien

Subject: 2.4.3+ sound distortion

Hi,

I've never posted here before, so if i do anything wrong, just let me know.

I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have
this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al showed the
same problem.

This is my hardware:
AMD Duron 600@800 (6x133)
MSI K7T Turbo-R
320MB PC133
ASUS v6800 Geforce 1 DDR
Creative PCI128

victor@victor:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010219 (prerelease)

victor@victor:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 3
model name : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 796.830
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 1589.24

victor@victor:~$ cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 3).
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xc0000000 [0xcfffffff].
Bus 0, device 1, function 0:
PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP] (rev 0).
Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=12.
Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 64).
Bus 0, device 7, function 1:
IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 6).
Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xc000 [0xc00f].
Bus 0, device 7, function 4:
Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 64).
Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C940 (rev 11).
IRQ 10.
I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc1f].
Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 6).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd03f].
Bus 0, device 15, function 0:
RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20265 (rev 2).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xd400 [0xd407].
I/O at 0xd800 [0xd803].
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc07].
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe003].
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe43f].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdb000000 [0xdb01ffff].
Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 256 DDR (rev 16).
IRQ 9.
Master Capable. Latency=248. Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd8000000 [0xd8ffffff].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0000000 [0xd7ffffff].

If i need to suply more information please let me know. If you respond please
put my emailadres in the CC, i am not a member of this mailing-list.

Victor Julien

2001-04-21 19:06:23

by Nigel Gamble

Subject: Re: 2.4.3+ sound distortion

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Victor Julien wrote:
> I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have
> this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al showed the
> same problem.

Try running xmms as root with the "Use realtime priority when available"
option checked. If the distortion is because xmms isn't getting enough
CPU time, then running it at a realtime priority will fix it.

Nigel Gamble [email protected]
Mountain View, CA, USA. http://www.nrg.org/

MontaVista Software [email protected]

2001-04-21 19:42:38

by Victor Julien

That did not help. The distortion is no stuttering, but noise in the music.
It's not specific to xmms, freeamp and xine also have the noise. The noise
reminds me of years ago when my father used a electric shaver witch gave
noise in the sound of my radio. Maybe that can give you an idea about the
sort of noise.

The changelog of 2.4.3 said that there were via-chipset-fixes undone, could
this be a problem of my chipset?

Victor Julien

Please enter my email-adress in the CC.

On Saturday 21 April 2001 21:05, you wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Victor Julien wrote:
> > I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> > playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not
> > have this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al
> > showed the same problem.
>
> Try running xmms as root with the "Use realtime priority when available"
> option checked. If the distortion is because xmms isn't getting enough
> CPU time, then running it at a realtime priority will fix it.
>
> Nigel Gamble [email protected]
> Mountain View, CA, USA. http://www.nrg.org/
>
> MontaVista Software [email protected]

2001-04-21 20:53:00

by Erik Mouw

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:40:30PM +0200, Victor Julien wrote:
> That did not help. The distortion is no stuttering, but noise in the music.
> It's not specific to xmms, freeamp and xine also have the noise. The noise
> reminds me of years ago when my father used a electric shaver witch gave
> noise in the sound of my radio. Maybe that can give you an idea about the
> sort of noise.
>
> The changelog of 2.4.3 said that there were via-chipset-fixes undone, could
> this be a problem of my chipset?

Possible. Another thing to check is if you started using an APM
monitoring program, like the GNOME battery_applet which reads /proc/apm
every couple of seconds. With every read of /proc/apm the APM driver
calls the APM BIOS, which on some systems runs quite long with
interrupts disabled. On my laptop this results in exactly the noise you
described.

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by Victor Julien

I don't use APM monitors. The noise is more frequent than once every few
seconds. I've tried to reproduce the noise using cpu-intensive programs other
than seti@home and i failed. I tried compiling a kernel together with heavy
calculations in The Gimp, but it didn't produce the noise. Could it be a
problem only triggerd by seti? Is there something special about seti?

Victor Julien

Please enter my email-adress in the CC.

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:40:30PM +0200, Victor Julien wrote:
> > That did not help. The distortion is no stuttering, but noise in the
> > music. It's not specific to xmms, freeamp and xine also have the noise.
> > The noise reminds me of years ago when my father used a electric shaver
> > witch gave noise in the sound of my radio. Maybe that can give you an
> > idea about the sort of noise.
> >
> > The changelog of 2.4.3 said that there were via-chipset-fixes undone,
> > could this be a problem of my chipset?
>
> Possible. Another thing to check is if you started using an APM
> monitoring program, like the GNOME battery_applet which reads /proc/apm
> every couple of seconds. With every read of /proc/apm the APM driver
> calls the APM BIOS, which on some systems runs quite long with
> interrupts disabled. On my laptop this results in exactly the noise you
> described.
>

> Erik

2001-04-21 23:08:04

by Victor Julien

Subject: Re: 2.4.3-pre3+ sound distortion

I've done some further testing and i discoverd that the problem was
introduced in 2.4.3-pre3. Pre1 en pre2 are fine. I've tried disabling the
via-ide-driver, i386 instead of athlon as build architecture with no effect.
I've tried disabling my network-card with no effect. Ik tried reproducing the
problem in the console using setiathome and mpg123 and i was succesfull.

So, i guess the problem is in 2.4.3-pre3 and later. I'm not a coder so there
is not much i can do i think. If you need any information please let me know.

Victor Julien

Please put my email adress in the CC when you reply.

2001-04-21 23:14:57

by Alan

> I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have
> this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al showed the
> same problem.

The 2.4.3->2.4.3-ac kernels include workarounds for the VIA chipset corruption
reports. It is possible these have an impact, paticularly if the programs are
making heavy use of X11.

Can you describe the 'distortion' better - clicking, bits repeated ?

2001-04-21 23:33:18

by Victor Julien

On Sunday 22 April 2001 01:15, you wrote:
> > I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> > playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not
> > have this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al
> > showed the same problem.
>
> The 2.4.3->2.4.3-ac kernels include workarounds for the VIA chipset
> corruption reports. It is possible these have an impact, paticularly if the
> programs are making heavy use of X11.
>
> Can you describe the 'distortion' better - clicking, bits repeated ?

The distortion is noise in the music. The music does not stutter or stop.
It's a high-toned noise in the music. It's not there every second, but on
average 30 seconds in every minute. It seems to be dependand on the kind of
calcultions seti is making.

The noise seems to have nothing to do with X11, because in console mode
running the seti client and mpg123, results in exactly the same noiselevel as
in X11.

I've tried 2.4.3-pre{3,4,6}, 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11, they al have
the problem. Only 2.4.3-pre{1,2} did not. 2.4.2 has also no problems.

Victor Julien

Please put my email-adres in CC, when responding.

2001-04-22 07:56:24

by Marcel Mol

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:15:13AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> > playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have
> > this problem. I tried 2.4.3, 2.4.4-pre5 and 2.4.3-ac11. They al showed the
> > same problem.
>
> The 2.4.3->2.4.3-ac kernels include workarounds for the VIA chipset corruption
> reports. It is possible these have an impact, paticularly if the programs are
> making heavy use of X11.

I noticed that X11 became teribly slow on screen updates using 2.4.3-ac11 on
an asus a7v133 (via686b).
Before that I ran an a7v (via686a): using ac6 worked
fine with X. X on ac9 also works fine, at least I did not notice any slowdown.
Unfortunately cannot test ac11 on the a7v anymore...

I thought ac9 does include the via workarounds. Is there a significant
diff between ac9 and ac11, or between via686a and 686b to cause this?

-Marcel
--
======-------- Marcel J.E. Mol MESA Consulting B.V.
=======--------- ph. +31-(0)6-54724868 P.O. Box 112

2001-04-22 12:16:46

by Alan

> I noticed that X11 became teribly slow on screen updates using 2.4.3-ac11 on
> an asus a7v133 (via686b).
> Before that I ran an a7v (via686a): using ac6 worked
> fine with X. X on ac9 also works fine, at least I did not notice any slowdown.
> Unfortunately cannot test ac11 on the a7v anymore...
>
> I thought ac9 does include the via workarounds. Is there a significant
> diff between ac9 and ac11, or between via686a and 686b to cause this?

We are still playing with the VIA fixups, but this may also be VM related. I'm
currently playing with several VM ideas, and potential fixes which might
impact overall performance.

Test 2.4.4pre6 that has the VIA fixes but does not have the VM changes

2001-04-22 13:47:25

by Mike Castle

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:04:47PM +0200, Victor Julien wrote:
> I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
> playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have

Would this be the same issue as describe in these threads:

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.0/0233.html
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.1/0231.html

That is, the change in how nice is recalculated.

mrc
--
Mike Castle Life is like a clock: You can work constantly
[email protected] and be right all the time, or not work at all

2001-04-22 17:49:27

by Victor Julien

>We are still playing with the VIA fixups, but this may also be VM related.
I'm
>currently playing with several VM ideas, and potential fixes which might
>impact overall performance.
>
>Test 2.4.4pre6 that has the VIA fixes but does not have the VM changes

2.4.4-pre6 did only compile when I aplied the '__builtin_expect'-patch. It
crashed at boot however, when initializing my onboard raidcontroller
(PDC20265 on a MSI K7T Turbo-R). It seems to be the same problem as
reported by Manuel A. McLure. So no word yet about the sound
distortion-problem being fixed.

Victor Julien

2001-04-22 18:39:47

by Victor Julien

Wow! Now it not only boots right, the sound distortion problem also seems
to be fixed!!! Great work! However another problem is still here, i see
only one of the two ide-channels of the PDC20265.

> On 2001.04.22 10:47 Victor Julien wrote:
>
> > 2.4.4-pre6 did only compile when I aplied the '__builtin_expect'-patch.
> > It
> > crashed at boot however, when initializing my onboard raidcontroller
> > (PDC20265 on a MSI K7T Turbo-R). It seems to be the same problem as
> > reported by Manuel A. McLure. So no word yet about the sound
> > distortion-problem being fixed.
>
> The PCD20265 crash is fixed in 2.4.3-ac12 and should be fixed in the next
> -pre.
> In the meantime you can apply the following patch from Alan Cox:
>
> *** drivers/ide/ide-pci.c.orig Sun Apr 22 11:07:51 2001
> --- drivers/ide/ide-pci.c Sat Apr 21 20:07:09 2001
> ***************
> *** 596,602 ****
> if (IDE_PCI_DEVID_EQ(d->devid, DEVID_PDC20265))
> {
> printk(KERN_INFO "ide: Found promise 20265 in
> RAID mode.\n");
> ! if(dev->bus->self->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL
> &&
> dev->bus->self->device == PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_I960)
> {
> printk(KERN_INFO "ide: Skipping Promise
> PDC20265 attached to I2O RAID controller.\n");
> --- 596,602 ----
> if (IDE_PCI_DEVID_EQ(d->devid, DEVID_PDC20265))
> {
> printk(KERN_INFO "ide: Found promise 20265 in
> RAID mode.\n");
> ! if(dev->bus->self && dev->bus->self->vendor ==
> PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL &&
> dev->bus->self->device == PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_I960)
> {
> printk(KERN_INFO "ide: Skipping Promise
> PDC20265 attached to I2O RAID controller.\n");
>

> --
> Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW | ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient
> <[email protected]> | and significant law, no man may kill a cat.
> <http://www.mclure.org> | -- H.P. Lovecraft

2001-04-22 18:52:18

by Alan

> 2.4.4-pre6 did only compile when I aplied the '__builtin_expect'-patch. It
> crashed at boot however, when initializing my onboard raidcontroller
> (PDC20265 on a MSI K7T Turbo-R). It seems to be the same problem as
> reported by Manuel A. McLure. So no word yet about the sound
> distortion-problem being fixed.

I've sent Linus a fix for the PDC20265 crash

2001-04-22 18:54:18

by Alan

> Wow! Now it not only boots right, the sound distortion problem also seems
> to be fixed!!! Great work! However another problem is still here, i see
> only one of the two ide-channels of the PDC20265.

There is a possible patch for that in the Red Hat source rpm but its a bit
ugly. I need to figure out if it can be cleaned up and get it included into
the main tree

2001-04-23 03:08:32

by David Ford

I have noticed a problem with sound lately. I have a cs46xx card and
it randomly gets distorted. Normally I just reboot but on this last
occurence I simply left it as it was. The distortion sounds someone
punched the speaker core, it's tinny and mangled. Today it fixed itself
out of the blue in the middle of playing a sound. All sound programs are
equally affected.

It's only done this in the 2.4 series, I haven't had the desire to look
into it.

David

Mike Castle wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:04:47PM +0200, Victor Julien wrote:
>
>>I have a problem with kernels higher than 2.4.2, the sound distorts when
>>playing a song with xmms while the seti@home client runs. 2.4.2 did not have
>>

>Would this be the same issue as describe in these threads:
>
>http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.0/0233.html
>http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.1/0231.html
>
>That is, the change in how nice is recalculated.
>
>mrc

2001-04-23 15:03:11

by Woller, Thomas

David,
your report sounds like a problem that we have seen in the test lab, but no
one has reported in the field... yet. :)
if the problem is the same as we have seen... unloading the driver and
reloading the driver should also clear up the problem. but typically the
problem only occurs after playing for several hours without a break in the
audio stream.

we think that we understand the problem (theoretically), in that we believe
that we need to manipulate a static DSP image location periodically that
gets too far out of value. the issue is that internal variables for the
static DSP image are not reinitialized on a task restart (e.g. restarting up
an audio stream). reloading the static image (i.e. suspend/resume or
reloading the driver) clears up the tinny sound here. it hadn't been
reported, so I haven't taken the time to plough through the static image map
to try to figure out where all the locations are for all the task images
that need manipulation. might take a while, but since we now have a problem
report, i'll try to find some time to start negotiating the DSP map. i'll
send the fix to you for testing when/if... i can get the problem resolved.
thanks

tom
[email protected]

by David Ford

I have several questions regarding the Santa Cruz Voyetra:

a) please read the below text and those in the know, please advise me of
any updates to the current situation where sound is very tinny. at
present i have to deal with this constantly.
b) there have been some vague references made to adjusting the other
line IN/OUT channels which in the source i read from, stated that this
seems to act as a fade control and was able to adjust the level of
tinniness that was heard.
c) are there any (linux/open source) mixers which have the capability of
controlling this card in any fashion that is better than the dark age
mixers currently found on freshmeat? i.e., something that takes
advantage of the gobs of onboard features such as the onboard hardware
equalizer, configurable in/out ports, etc.
d) if no to (c), is Mr. Woller from cirrus.com interested in helping us
develop such features in a mixer application?

David

Recap from April of 2001;

Woller, Thomas said:

[...]

[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

/> I have noticed a problem with sound lately. I have a *cs46xx* card and /
/> it randomly gets distorted. Normally I just reboot but on this last /
/> occurence I simply left it as it was. The distortion sounds someone /
/> punched the speaker core, it's *tinny* and mangled. Today it fixed
itself /
/> out of the blue in the middle of playing a sound. All sound programs
are /
/> equally affected./
/> /
/> It's only done this in the 2.4 series, I haven't had the desire to look /
/> into it./
/> /
/> David/

2002-03-06 16:44:22

by Woller, Thomas

david, et al
a) i am very sorry about the tinny sound you are experiencing. we
no longer have any DSP pc audio engineers working at cirrus, and
pc audio products are no longer developed or supported here at
cirrus. i have talked this problem over with the only person that
might help, and the debugging effort involved is extensive and
may not yield results. we do not fully understand the issue, but
believe that several internal points in the DSP become misaligned
resulting in the tinny sound.
b) the static DSP image that is currently used with the linux
cs46xx driver, is not capable of any of the fancy extensive
feature set, and the work involved would require an engineer with
intimate knowledge of the DSP which no longer is present.
c) see b
d) i am always willing to assist the linux effort, it's just
difficult due to the lack of any support at cirrus for pc audio
any longer. i am working on embedded RTOS in my official job,
but always try to fix any linux pc audio related bugs as i am
able. also, without any DSP engineers we can not create another
static DSP image with the additional tasks necessary to take
advantage of the wonderful features of cards with the cs46xx
controller. we are stuck with the current DSP images that are
available.

there is a small glimmer of light concerning secondary codec
support and SPDIF support. i had found 2 other "test" static DSP
images that might be useful.
i placed 2 piles of code out on a cirrus ftp site (see below).
the first is a cs46xx driver with an untested static DSP image
that snoops the data to the primary codec and pumps it to the
secondary, so that there is sound coming from the rear speakers,
although the same as the the front.
the second pile of code (EOLT) contains a set of tests that we
used for testing the cs4630. the static image used in these
tests contained in this directory functioned with SPDIF in/out. i
am unsure whether the other tasks are loaded in this image to
support the general audio data paths, so this static image may
not support more than spdif. i tried using the static "spdif"
image on the latest cs46xx linux driver, but it did not work with
a simple static image replacement in the source. specific problem
definition and resolution using the spdif EOLT static image with
the linux cs46xx sources, has not been determined. anyone and
everyone are welcome to look over these 2 piles of source, but my
time is very limited concerning any new development for spdif
and/or secondary codec.

here is the ftp site info. the cs46xx code is based on an older
version of the 2.4 kernel.

server: ftp1.cirrus.com
login: ftppclink
password: cSPxQMd