2023-09-12 20:14:58

by Jarkko Sakkinen

Subject: [GIT PULL] tpmdd changes for v6.6-rc2

Merge tag 'for-6.6-rc1-tag' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/linux (2023-09-12 11:28:00 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jarkko/linux-tpmdd.git tags/tpmdd-v6.6-rc2

for you to fetch changes up to ea72883a3bf11fb09dd1ad4f8328cc040263881a:

tpm: Fix typo in tpmrm class definition (2023-09-12 23:07:37 +0300)

This pull request contains a critical fix for my previous pull request.

BR, Jarkko

Justin M. Forbes (1):
tpm: Fix typo in tpmrm class definition

drivers/char/tpm/tpm-chip.c | 2 +-

by Jarkko Sakkinen

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] tpmdd changes for v6.6-rc2

On Wed Sep 13, 2023 at 9:51 PM EEST, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 13:11, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > This pull request contains a critical fix for my previous pull request.
>
> Please, less sarcasm and more actual helpful merge commit fodder, ok?
>
> Linus

Ok, I'll make something more reasonable.

BR, Jarkko

2023-09-13 19:51:01

by pr-tracker-bot

The pull request you sent on Tue, 12 Sep 2023 23:11:01 +0300:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jarkko/linux-tpmdd.git tags/tpmdd-v6.6-rc2

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/23f108dc9ed26100b1489f6a9e99088d4064f56b

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

2023-09-13 19:59:50

by Jarkko Sakkinen

On Wed Sep 13, 2023 at 10:45 PM EEST, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 12:32, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I'll make something more reasonable.
>
> Well, I took the pull already, just saying "tpm fix".
>
> I assume the only thing the typo actually causes is printk's with a
> typo in it. Maybe some sysfs name will be wrong?
>
> That's the kind of information I would have _liked_ to see in the
> merge message, but I didn't then delve into just where the class names
> might actually be used.
>
> Linus

Thanks for pointing this out because I also overlooked the whole fix,
and based my conclusions just "git describe --contains", which pointed
to my previous signed tag.

I actually do QA (both x86 and aarch64 and slowly setting up also riscv)
to my tree, and I did not understand how this could have leaked into a
PR since TPM2 kselftest would have catched that.

The original commit must have gone through some other maintainer tree
since I do not see in any of my PR's. Anyway, I'll document next time
better my PR because apparently not doing that can lead to toally false
conclusions :-)

Thanks for picking it up anyway.

BR, Jarkko

2023-09-14 00:24:54

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 12:32, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, I'll make something more reasonable.

Well, I took the pull already, just saying "tpm fix".

I assume the only thing the typo actually causes is printk's with a
typo in it. Maybe some sysfs name will be wrong?

That's the kind of information I would have _liked_ to see in the
merge message, but I didn't then delve into just where the class names
might actually be used.

Linus

2023-09-14 03:33:50

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 13:11, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:

> This pull request contains a critical fix for my previous pull request.

Please, less sarcasm and more actual helpful merge commit fodder, ok?

Linus

2023-09-14 21:19:38

by Jarkko Sakkinen

On Fri Sep 15, 2023 at 12:05 AM EEST, Justin Forbes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 4:02 PM Linus Torvalds
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 12:32, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, I'll make something more reasonable.
> >
> > Well, I took the pull already, just saying "tpm fix".
> >
> > I assume the only thing the typo actually causes is printk's with a
> > typo in it. Maybe some sysfs name will be wrong?
> >
> > That's the kind of information I would have _liked_ to see in the
> > merge message, but I didn't then delve into just where the class names
> > might actually be used.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more clear. The typo causes misnamed sysfs
> files, which breaks some userspace tools.

Ya, I got a bit confused because I assumed that the original change was
coming from my tree at first, and was wondering how could possibly my
QA process did not catch it. Should have checked in detail and wrote a
better description to the pull request. All in all, great that the issue
was catched before the release :-)

In future I suggest to run always the tpm2 test from kselftest's for any
TPM patch. It would have catched the bug early on.

BR, Jarkko

2023-09-15 00:17:40

by Justin Forbes

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 12:32, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I'll make something more reasonable.
>
> Well, I took the pull already, just saying "tpm fix".
>
> I assume the only thing the typo actually causes is printk's with a
> typo in it. Maybe some sysfs name will be wrong?
>
> That's the kind of information I would have _liked_ to see in the
> merge message, but I didn't then delve into just where the class names
> might actually be used.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The typo causes misnamed sysfs
files, which breaks some userspace tools.

Justin