Subject: LOBOS

Hello all :))

I've reading a bit about booting Linux within Linux, and I'm
pretty interested in this issue. The point here is, will a stable
kernel support this in a near future?.

There are a few alternatives like 'LOBOS' (which, IMHO, is the
most portable, easy and small of all), 'bootimg', the two kernel
monte, etc...

This will be very useful for a lot of thinks: netbooting, initrd
replacement, kernel switching and testing, etc...

Have you think about adding this to the kernel. It won't enlarge
the kernel and IMHO is a very good thing to have. Of course I'm not a
kernel guru and I don't know what kind of problems this would arise.

Have fun :)
Ra?l

2001-11-20 02:20:00

by victor

Subject: Re: LOBOS

hi read that url ;)
http://www.missl.cs.umd.edu/linuxbios/msg03992.html

victor
-------------------------------------
Ra?lN??ez de Arenas Coronado <[email protected]>
Hello all :))

I've reading a bit about booting Linux within Linux, and I'm
pretty interested in this issue. The point here is, will a stable
kernel support this in a near future?.

There are a few alternatives like 'LOBOS' (which, IMHO, is the
most portable, easy and small of all), 'bootimg', the two kernel
monte, etc...

This will be very useful for a lot of thinks: netbooting, initrd
replacement, kernel switching and testing, etc...

Have you think about adding this to the kernel. It won't enlarge
the kernel and IMHO is a very good thing to have. Of course I'm not a
kernel guru and I don't know what kind of problems this would arise.

Have fun :)
Ra?l

2001-11-20 02:18:00

by Larry McVoy

I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.
See http://www.bitmover.com/ml for some slides on why, for those of you
who are guess, yes it is the same OS cluster idea for SMP scaling I've
been pushing on for 7 years. It's finally getting some attention as
well, the IBM guys are looking at it, a FreeBSD guy is looking at it,
and the UML guy thinks he can do a UML implementation in such a way
that putting it on real hardware would be a "simple" port.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:04:55AM +0100, Ra?lN??ez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
> Hello all :))
>
> I've reading a bit about booting Linux within Linux, and I'm
> pretty interested in this issue. The point here is, will a stable
> kernel support this in a near future?.
>
> There are a few alternatives like 'LOBOS' (which, IMHO, is the
> most portable, easy and small of all), 'bootimg', the two kernel
> monte, etc...
>
> This will be very useful for a lot of thinks: netbooting, initrd
> replacement, kernel switching and testing, etc...
>
> Have you think about adding this to the kernel. It won't enlarge
> the kernel and IMHO is a very good thing to have. Of course I'm not a
> kernel guru and I don't know what kind of problems this would arise.
>
> Have fun :)
> Ra?l
> -

---

by Tim Hockin

> I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.

This is what Cobalt firmware has been doing FOREVER. We didn't solve it
generically, but it works marvelously for what it does.

2001-11-20 02:42:27

by Erik Andersen

On Mon Nov 19, 2001 at 06:03:09PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.
>
> This is what Cobalt firmware has been doing FOREVER. We didn't solve it
> generically, but it works marvelously for what it does.

The netwinder firmware is a stripped down Linux kernel
which boots another linux kernel.
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/pub/ccc/firmware/

And the Linux BIOS project does that also
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/

by Eric W. Biederman

Subject: Re: LOBOS (kexec)

Larry McVoy <[email protected]> writes:

> I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.
> See http://www.bitmover.com/ml for some slides on why, for those of you
> who are guess, yes it is the same OS cluster idea for SMP scaling I've
> been pushing on for 7 years. It's finally getting some attention as
> well, the IBM guys are looking at it, a FreeBSD guy is looking at it,
> and the UML guy thinks he can do a UML implementation in such a way
> that putting it on real hardware would be a "simple" port.

I am maintaining a version of this functionality against 2.4.x
called kexec. And I plan to work on integration into linux with 2.5.x.
After the details are worked out I will look at a backport to 2.4.x

The hard part is not linux booting linux but the passing of the
firmware/BIOS tables from one kernel to the next. Especially those
that can only be obtained by a 16bit query. It is my assumption that
after the OS runs you cannot return to the firmware, it's state is
hopelessly mangled. That may not be totally true but it is fairly
close to the truth.

I am doing this a part of the linuxBIOS effort and as such it is just
maturing enough that I can really start concentrating on this aspect
of the problem. I do not want an interface that is mushy. I want an
interface that is extensible. But is pretty much frozen for all time
like the ELF file format.

My patches show up from time to time at:
ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/kernel-patches/

Hopefully soon I will get my port to 2.4.14 put up there soon.
I have been maintaining and this since 2.4.0-pre9 or so. And I have
been using this actively. And I have an alpha port. I would port to
other architectures but I don't have the machines available.

Eric

2001-11-20 06:04:38

by Tim Hockin

> The hard part is not linux booting linux but the passing of the
> firmware/BIOS tables from one kernel to the next. Especially those
> that can only be obtained by a 16bit query. It is my assumption that
> after the OS runs you cannot return to the firmware, it's state is
> hopelessly mangled. That may not be totally true but it is fairly
> close to the truth.

It is unless you control the firmware. Our (Cobalt) firmware reserves a
region of memory which the primary (in-flash) kernel is not made aware of.
The in-flash kernel can do all the fun things a kernel can do, and then
return to firmware.

2001-11-20 07:11:29

by Eric W. Biederman

Tim Hockin <[email protected]> writes:

> > The hard part is not linux booting linux but the passing of the
> > firmware/BIOS tables from one kernel to the next. Especially those
> > that can only be obtained by a 16bit query. It is my assumption that
> > after the OS runs you cannot return to the firmware, it's state is
> > hopelessly mangled. That may not be totally true but it is fairly
> > close to the truth.
>
> It is unless you control the firmware. Our (Cobalt) firmware reserves a
> region of memory which the primary (in-flash) kernel is not made aware of.
> The in-flash kernel can do all the fun things a kernel can do, and then
> return to firmware.

Hmm. I might have to check it out. Comparing notes with what you do on
the Cobalt with what I'm doing in linuxBIOS. Do you happen to have
a url?

But as I want a general solution I don't intend to pick a solution
that depends on the firmware.

Eric

Hello Larry (this time is correct ;)))

>I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.

Me too. Really this is a feature that no other OS has. And it is
a very useful and interesting feature (as you cas see on the Cobalt).

Ra?l

2001-11-20 23:57:22

by Werner Almesberger

The approaching 2.5 seems to revive the spirits of the Linux to Linux
boot loaders ;-) Just a few days ago, I've started working again on
bootimg ...

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> My patches show up from time to time at:
> ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/kernel-patches/

This site always seems to be unavailable. Is there a more stable
location for kexec ? I'd like to link to it from
http://bootimg.sourceforge.net/

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, Lausanne, CH [email protected] /
/_http://icawww.epfl.ch/almesberger/_____________________________________/

2001-11-20 23:59:00

by Werner Almesberger

Ra?lN??ez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
> Me too. Really this is a feature that no other OS has.

No way ;-) Markus Wild implemented this about eight years ago for
SVR4 on the Amiga.

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, Lausanne, CH [email protected] /
/_http://icawww.epfl.ch/almesberger/_____________________________________/

2001-11-21 03:12:42

by Eric W. Biederman

Werner Almesberger <[email protected]> writes:

> The approaching 2.5 seems to revive the spirits of the Linux to Linux
> boot loaders ;-) Just a few days ago, I've started working again on
> bootimg ...

There is something to that. I've mostly been in maintenance mode.
And tackling other things. For what is worth I can currently
boot memtest86 and etherboot, besides the linux kernel.

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > My patches show up from time to time at:
> > ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/kernel-patches/
>
> This site always seems to be unavailable. Is there a more stable
> location for kexec ? I'd like to link to it from
> http://bootimg.sourceforge.net/

Hmm. I will have to look. I haven't had problems with it myself.
So I don't know what to say.

I'm not quite ready to do a whole lot on the maintenance side until
I finish working through my design issues. But as soon as that
is completed I will make certain something is going on.

You might want to link to the linuxBIOS site. http://www.linuxbios.org
As that is related. But I guess not directly useful.

Eric

Hello Werner :)

>> Me too. Really this is a feature that no other OS has.
>No way ;-) Markus Wild implemented this about eight years ago for
>SVR4 on the Amiga.

Well, then it's a feature that no other PC OS has ;)))) I didn't
know that of the Amiga :)), but it's great. Seems that all good
thinks were already implemented in the Amiga ;)))

Ra?l

2001-11-21 17:14:41

by Randy.Dunlap

> > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > > My patches show up from time to time at:
> > > ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/kernel-patches/
> >
> > This site always seems to be unavailable. Is there a more stable
> > location for kexec ? I'd like to link to it from
> > http://bootimg.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hmm. I will have to look. I haven't had problems with it myself.
> So I don't know what to say.

I had problems with that URL also. It should be:
ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/linux-kernel-patches/

~Randy

2001-11-22 06:57:06

by Eric W. Biederman

"Randy.Dunlap" <[email protected]> writes:

> > > This site always seems to be unavailable. Is there a more stable
> > > location for kexec ? I'd like to link to it from
> > > http://bootimg.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Hmm. I will have to look. I haven't had problems with it myself.
> > So I don't know what to say.
>
> I had problems with that URL also. It should be:
> ftp://download.linuxnetworx.com/pub/src/linux-kernel-patches/

Oops I typed too much from memory...

Eric