2002-08-22 20:25:34

by Mala Anand

Subject: netperf3 results on 2.5.25 kernel

I did a comparison test on 2.4.17, 2.5.25 stock kernels and on 2.5.25
with NAPI enabled e1000 driver using netperf3, tcp_stream 1 adapter
test using UNI kernels. The test setup/results can be found at:
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf/netperf/results/july_02/netperf2.5.25results.htm

Regards,
Mala

Mala Anand
IBM Linux Technology Center - Kernel Performance
E-mail:[email protected]
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/linuxperf
Phone:838-8088; Tie-line:678-8088

2002-08-23 08:46:20

by Eric Lemoine

Subject: Re: netperf3 results on 2.5.25 kernel

> I did a comparison test on 2.4.17, 2.5.25 stock kernels and on 2.5.25
> with NAPI enabled e1000 driver using netperf3, tcp_stream 1 adapter
> test using UNI kernels. The test setup/results can be found at:
> http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf/netperf/results/july_02/netperf2.5.25results.htm

On which machine(s) do you actually test the kernels? Source machine?
Destination machine? Or both?

--
Eric

2002-08-23 12:53:31

by Mala Anand

Eric wrote...
>> I did a comparison test on 2.4.17, 2.5.25 stock kernels and on 2.5.25
>> with NAPI enabled e1000 driver using netperf3, tcp_stream 1 adapter
>> test using UNI kernels. The test setup/results can be found at:

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf/netperf/results/july_02/netperf2.5.25results.htm

>On which machine(s) do you actually test the kernels? Source machine?
>Destination machine? Or both?

On both the server and the client, I used the respective kernels.
However I used the cpu usage from the server since my objective
is to stress the server in this test.

Regards,
Mala

Mala Anand
IBM Linux Technology Center - Kernel Performance
E-mail:[email protected]
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/linuxperf
Phone:838-8088; Tie-line:678-8088

2002-09-12 12:35:07

by Mala Anand

>> I did a comparison test on 2.4.17, 2.5.25 stock kernels and on 2.5.25
>> with NAPI enabled e1000 driver using netperf3, tcp_stream 1 adapter
>> test using UNI kernels. The test setup/results can be found at:

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf/netperf/results/july_02/netperf2.5.25results.htm

>On which machine(s) do you actually test the kernels? Source machine?
>Destination machine? Or both?

I am just catching up with my mail. Sorry about that. I don't think
I understand your question completely. Let me answer, if I don't make
it clear ask me again.

The client and the server systems have the same level kernels. The CPU
utilization collected at server end is used to derive the throughput
scaled to CPU. The throughput for tcp_stream reflects the rate of
transmits at the client and the rate of receives at the server.