2002-10-09 23:05:54

by Juan Gomez

Subject: Why NFS server does not pass lock requests via VFS lock() op?

Could anyone remind me of why NFS kernel would not pass byte range lock
requests to the underlying filsystem at the server side?
I think another person at IBM (Brian?) submitted a patch for this but such
patch never got included in the distribution.

I think a patch to pass lock requests to the underlying filesystem does not
affect single node NFS servers and it enables us to
support clustered Linux-based NAS heads over distributed file systems.

Juan

2002-10-09 23:17:42

by Alan

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 00:11, Juan Gomez wrote:

> Could anyone remind me of why NFS kernel would not pass byte range lock
> requests to the underlying filsystem at the server side?
> I think another person at IBM (Brian?) submitted a patch for this but such
> patch never got included in the distribution.

I know Matthew had the patches, and I know I looked at them and they
seemed sane enough. But I don't know where they eventually went. Things
like NFS over AFS are going to need it

2002-10-10 00:01:57

by Juan Gomez

Oh ok. Well can we resuscitate this patch? The AFS NAS head example is a
good reason to do this.
If you need any help please let me know and I will be happy to test/adapt
the patch in/to the version that you may want to apply it.
We have one version for 2.4.18 that someone created recently if the one you
have is too old...

Thanks, Juan

|---------+---------------------------------->
| | Alan Cox |
| | <[email protected].|
| | uk> |
| | Sent by: |
| | linux-kernel-owner@vger|
| | .kernel.org |
| | |
| | |
| | 10/09/02 04:32 PM |
| | |
|---------+---------------------------------->
| |
| |
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 00:11, Juan Gomez wrote:

> Could anyone remind me of why NFS kernel would not pass byte range lock
> requests to the underlying filsystem at the server side?
> I think another person at IBM (Brian?) submitted a patch for this but
such
> patch never got included in the distribution.

I know Matthew had the patches, and I know I looked at them and they
seemed sane enough. But I don't know where they eventually went. Things
like NFS over AFS are going to need it

2002-10-10 00:22:35

by Trond Myklebust

> Oh ok. Well can we resuscitate this patch? The AFS NAS head
> example is a good reason to do this. If you need any help

If you do, make sure that you get the latest patch from Brian and
*NOT* the one that was in earlier versions of the -ac tree. The
latter screws lockd quite royally...

Cheers,
Trond