2002-11-05 22:51:56

by Kevin Corry

Subject: EVMS announcement

Greetings EVMS users,

On behalf of the EVMS team, we would like to announce a significant change
in direction for the Enterprise Volume Management System project.

As many of you may know by now, the 2.5 kernel feature freeze has come
and gone, and it seems clear that the EVMS kernel driver is not going
to be included. With this in mind, we have decided to rework the EVMS
user-space administration tools (the Engine) to work with existing
drivers currently in the kernel, including (but not necessarily limited
to) device mapper and MD.

Why make this change? With EVMS being passed over for inclusion in 2.5,
the future of the EVMS kernel driver becomes very uncertain. We could
obviously continue working on it and keep it up-to-date as a patch
against the latest kernels. Numerous helpful comments and changes were
suggested during the review of the code last month on the kernel mailing
list. We could spend the time to make many of the desired fixes,
including some architectural and interface changes. However, the one
issue that has not been addressed at length is EVMS's in-kernel volume
discovery mechanism. We believe that even if the other changes are
made, this will eventually become an issue at a later time. Moving
discovery to user-space is certainly a possibility. However, at that
point, it would become difficult to differentiate the EVMS driver from
the device mapper driver, since they would be performing very similar
tasks.

In addition, there would be no need to maintain duplicate MD kernel
code in order to provide compatibility with existing software RAID
devices. Obviously this duplication has been a significant issue, but
it was an unfortunate necessity in order for MD devices to be discovered
within the current EVMS kernel framework. With discovery moving to
user-space, the EVMS tools can simply be rewritten to communicate with
the existing MD driver in the kernel. This approach allows MD to be used
directly, without requiring it to be immediately ported to device mapper.
However, if the decision is made in the future to make that port, then
the EVMS tools should only become simpler.

We will also emphasize that this change has not been made suddenly or
without a great deal of thought. We have been contemplating this
possibility since shortly after the Ottawa Linux Symposium in July.
However, we continued to develop the EVMS kernel driver because of
input from our users. We wanted to go ahead and submit the driver and
get the opinion of the full community before making this decision. In
the last few weeks it has become clear that the current EVMS approach
is not what the kernel community was looking for, so we have spent that
time determining the feasibility and consequences of making this switch.
We have come up with a good initial plan, and everyone involved now
agrees that this is the best course of action.

So how will this switch affect the EVMS users? Ideally, we want the
users' experience with EVMS to remain completely unchanged. Based on
our current plans, the user interfaces will not have to change at all,
since we don't see any major changes to the Engine's external
application interface. The plan is to provide the same, single,
coherent method for performing all volume management tasks. This change
will be almost transparent for most users. The same features, plugins,
and capabilities will be supported.

There will, of course, be some minor changes. Specifically, installing
EVMS will be slightly different. It will involve different kernel
options than you are used to with the current version. In the 2.5 kernel,
all of the major components are already present, so little, if any,
kernel patching should be necessary. Since device mapper has not yet
been included in the main 2.4 kernel, 2.4 users will still require kernel
patches. In addition, some functionality still does not exist in any of
the available drivers. Specifically, we may provide extra device mapper
modules for features like bad block relocation. The installation of the
EVMS engine tools, on the other hand, should not change significantly
from the current method.

The other major difference will be due to the move to user-space discovery.
First of all, why make this switch? The most obvious reason is that the
kernel drivers become much simpler, and the only things they need to
provide is I/O handling and a method for activating the volumes. While
disk partitioning and software RAID still perform discovery in the kernel,
the trend seems to be to move these tasks to user-space. It is likely at
some point in the future that partitioning and MD will also be moved out
of the kernel as well. However, the drawback to making this switch is
losing automatic boot-time volume discovery. Activating EVMS volumes will
now require a call to a user-space utility, which will need to be added to
the system's init scripts in order to activate the volumes on each boot.

In addition, this switch complicates having the root filesystem on an
EVMS volume. Currently there is a lot of work being done on adding
initramfs to the 2.5 kernel, which will provide a pre-root-fs user-space.
This new system should provide a simple method for adding tasks to run
during this early user-space, and those who wish to use root-on-EVMS will
just need to add the EVMS tools to their initramfs. For 2.4 users, this
means using an initial ramdisk (initrd) to provide this same pre-root
user-space. Initrd setup is certainly awkward and often distribution-
specific. But we will do our best to provide adequate instructions and
assistance to those who need help in that situation.

Looking ahead, we *will* continue to *fully* support the 1.2.0 version
of EVMS on 2.4 kernels, and possibly release a 1.2.1 version with some
recent bug fixes. We will also make a reasonable effort to maintain the
current EVMS kernel driver on 2.5. It will not go through any other
major changes, but we will try to keep it up-to-date and working with
the latest 2.5 releases, until the new EVMS tools are complete. At that
point, the 2.5 EVMS driver will be dropped. Also, the new enhancements
we have been working on recently, such as clustering and volume move,
will only be developed under the new Engine model, and will not be
available for the current 1.2.x code base.

So how long will this take? Currently, we are estimating that we can
have the user-space volume activation framework working, along with
initial support for most of the plugins, by early 2003. Certain features,
such as BBR and Snapshotting, may take longer to work out the details of
their operation. We will soon open a new CVS tree to hold the new Engine
code, leaving the old trees as a repository for bug fixes to the 1.2.x
version.

In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to support our
users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on current and future
kernels, and we feel this change provides the best method for achieving
that. At the same time, this addresses all of the concerns voiced by
the kernel community. If anyone has any questions or concerns about
this decision, please email us or the EVMS mailing list at
[email protected]. We will be happy to answer any questions or
discuss these changes in more detail.

Thank you,

The EVMS Team
http://evms.sourceforge.net/

by Alan

Subject: Re: EVMS announcement

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 22:19, Kevin Corry wrote:
> Looking ahead, we *will* continue to *fully* support the 1.2.0 version
> of EVMS on 2.4 kernels, and possibly release a 1.2.1 version with some
> recent bug fixes. We will also make a reasonable effort to maintain the

I plan to try and push LVM2 to Marcelo after the next release. Whether
he will take it I don't know. Obviously its good to have the ability to
move back nicely to older kernels.

> In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to support our
> users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on current and future

Throwing away a big piece of code really sucks. I think however its the
right path - adding those things EVMS needs kernel side into a cleaner
framework and the tools is better than two systems in one kernel. I
appreciate you guys doing what looks to be the right thing for the Linux
project overall even when it must be a bitter disappointment.

Alan

2002-11-05 23:24:04

by Mike Diehl

Subject: Re: [Evms-announce] EVMS announcement

Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing short
of disasterous; EVMS looked like a very good alternative to LVM. Volume
Management is one of the FEW things that Linux lacks that the "Big Boys" have.

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 05:19 pm, Kevin Corry wrote:
> [...]
> initial support for most of the plugins, by early 2003. Certain
> features, such as BBR and Snapshotting, may take longer to work out
> the details of their operation. We will soon open a new CVS tree to
> hold the new Engine code, leaving the old trees as a repository for
> bug fixes to the 1.2.x version.
>
> In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to support our
> users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on current and future
> kernels, and we feel this change provides the best method for
> achieving that. At the same time, this addresses all of the concerns
> voiced by the kernel community. If anyone has any questions or
> concerns about this decision, please email us or the EVMS mailing list
> at
> [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any questions or

Mike Diehl
PGP Encrypted E-mail preferred.
Public Key via: http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/mdiehl.asc

2002-11-05 23:34:53

by Mike Diehl

Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing
short of disasterous; EVMS looked like a very good alternative to LVM.
Volume Management is one of the FEW things that Linux lacks that the
"Big Boys" have.

<pause> I got up to get a drink and my 2-year-old jumped up to my desk and
sent this... Continue Ranting....

The biggest thing that EVMS had going for it was it's modular design. As I
understand it, EVMS could even be used to manage the current MD and LVM
drivers. I was looking forward to partition-level encryption, etc.

I wish the decision had gone the other way. Get rid of LVM and get EVMS into
the mainstream. Any chance that, after this "migration," we might do just
that? I'd love to see the day when LVM and MD aren't kernel options by
themselves, but rather options under EVMS, along with lots of other cools
things.

But never mind me. I'm just a linux user, not a linux developer.

> [...]
> > along with initial support for most of the plugins, by early
> > 2003. Certain features, such as BBR and Snapshotting, may take
> > longer to work out the details of their operation. We will soon
> > open a new CVS tree to hold the new Engine code, leaving the
> > old trees as a repository for bug fixes to the 1.2.x version.
> >
> > In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to
> > support our users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on
> > current and future kernels, and we feel this change provides
> > the best method for achieving that. At the same time, this
> > addresses all of the concerns voiced by the kernel community.
> > If anyone has any questions or concerns about this decision,
> > please email us or the EVMS mailing list at
> > [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any
> > questions or discuss these changes in more detail.

2002-11-05 23:34:24

by Andres Salomon

Note the difference between LVM (the tools, the on-disk format, etc) and
device-mapper (simply a generic interface in the kernel). I suspect the
disasterous LVM experiences you've had were either with LVM1 (which did
not use device-mapper), or with some aspect of LVM2's userspace stuff
(which, I have yet to hear of any major problems with, other than
important features like pvmove not yet being implemented). There's no
reason why EVMS would need to emulate similar behavior.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:00:10PM -0500, Mike Diehl wrote:

> Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing short
> of disasterous; EVMS looked like a very good alternative to LVM. Volume
> Management is one of the FEW things that Linux lacks that the "Big Boys" have.
>

> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 05:19 pm, Kevin Corry wrote:
> > Greetings EVMS users,
> >
> > On behalf of the EVMS team, we would like to announce a significant
> > change in direction for the Enterprise Volume Management System
> > project.
[...]
> > In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to support our
> > users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on current and future
> > kernels, and we feel this change provides the best method for
> > achieving that. At the same time, this addresses all of the concerns
> > voiced by the kernel community. If anyone has any questions or
> > concerns about this decision, please email us or the EVMS mailing list
> > at
> > [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any questions or
> > discuss these changes in more detail.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > The EVMS Team
> > http://evms.sourceforge.net/
> > [email protected]

> Mike Diehl
> PGP Encrypted E-mail preferred.
> Public Key via: http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/mdiehl.asc
>
> -

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
-- Bill Watterson

2002-11-05 23:46:38

by Rik van Riel

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Mike Diehl wrote:

> Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing
> short of disasterous; EVMS looked like a very good alternative to LVM.

> The biggest thing that EVMS had going for it was it's modular design.

So what's your point ? Device mapper will be an EVMS module, from
the user's point of view.

regards,

Rik
Current spamtrap: <a href=mailto:"[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

2002-11-05 23:54:02

by Mike Diehl

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 06:40 pm, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Note the difference between LVM (the tools, the on-disk format, etc)
> and device-mapper (simply a generic interface in the kernel). I
> suspect the disasterous LVM experiences you've had were either with
> LVM1 (which did not use device-mapper), or with some aspect of LVM2's
> userspace stuff (which, I have yet to hear of any major problems with,
> other than important features like pvmove not yet being implemented).
> There's no reason why EVMS would need to emulate similar behavior.

I'm certainly willing to grant that things may have improved since the last
time I used LVM. I hope they have.

It's like the first time you taste sour milk. You just never forget the
taste it leaves in your mouth. LVM tastes the same to me, though it may be
completely stable/viable now. <rant off>

--
Mike Diehl
PGP Encrypted E-mail preferred.
Public Key via: http://dominion.dyndns.org/~mdiehl/mdiehl.asc

2002-11-05 23:52:50

by Alan

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 21:11, Mike Diehl wrote:
> The biggest thing that EVMS had going for it was it's modular design. As I
> understand it, EVMS could even be used to manage the current MD and LVM
> drivers. I was looking forward to partition-level encryption, etc.

Thats a seperate issue in the pile. You might want to do things like

lvm2 volumes

RAID-5
/ | \ \
4 encrypted volumes with different keys
| | | |
4 NBD disk volumes over TCP
(or 4 iSCSI volumes)

4 physical disks in different jurisdictions

(and the physical disks or iscsi volumes might in fact be over lvm2 on
the othe end - its all a lot more modular than just volume management at
least at the kernel level - tools is different)

2002-11-05 23:57:12

by Eff Norwood

Subject: RE: [Evms-devel] EVMS announcement

> In summary, we feel that this decision is the best way to support our
> users for the long term. We want to provide EVMS on current and future
> kernels, and we feel this change provides the best method for achieving
> that.

I think the decision not to include EVMS in 2.5 or 2.6 is a very poor one.
The EVMS group has been incredibly responsive and they have developed a very
robust and functional addition to Linux that was long overdue. I think that
*users* and functionality ought to be considered over design considerations
a little more often. If there can be two Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 drivers
(Becker and Intel versions) the precedent has already been set for inclusion
of kernel bits with similar functionality has it not?

A clean and reasonable design now has to be reworked and the results will be
reduced functionality and costs to the user. Costs in installation,
functionality, usability, and manageability. I hope a cutting edge project
like Linux isn't starting to fall prey to the idea that "It's always been
done that way."

I am seriously disappointed.

Eff Norwood

2002-11-05 23:59:31

by James Cloos

Kevin> However, the drawback to making this switch is losing
Kevin> automatic boot-time volume discovery. Activating EVMS volumes
Kevin> will now require a call to a user-space utility, which will
Kevin> need to be added to the system's init scripts in order to
Kevin> activate the volumes on each boot.

Kevin> In addition, this switch complicates having the root filesystem
Kevin> on an EVMS volume.

Actually, this isn't as much of an issue with 2.5-as-it-will-soon-be.
The initramfs stuff solves the problem for booting, and is exactly
where boot-time discovery should be.

You will need to ensure sufficient integration with hotplug to deal
properly with such things as external devices (usb, 1394, cardbus/
pcmcia, iscsi, docking stations, etc) and media bays. But this should
be relatively easy, yes?

Without initramfs, I find current evms' in-kernel discovery to be very
beneficial from the end-user standpoint, but early userpsace is clearly
the proper place for boot-time volume discovery just as it is for eg
nfsroot or similar (gfs root, root on iscsi or usb or 1394).

In short, your new plans are the way to go, but do be sure to take
advantage of all the kernel offers or will offer.

-JimC

2002-11-06 00:12:27

by Andrew Clausen

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:00:10PM -0500, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing short
> of disasterous;

I think you'll find LVM2 much more pleasant than LVM1. It's a
reimplementation with a very different (minimalist :) architecture.

Cheers,
Andrew

2002-11-06 00:13:57

by Kevin Corry

Hi Mike,

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 15:11, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Well, I'm a bit disapointed. My experience with LVM has been nothing
> short of disasterous; EVMS looked like a very good alternative to LVM.
> Volume Management is one of the FEW things that Linux lacks that the
> "Big Boys" have.

I'm sorry you feel disappointed. But I assure you that EVMS will continue to
provide the same experience you have come to expect. All this decision really
means is that we will be building on a different kernel component, instead of
providing our own. All of the EVMS tools and libraries will essentially be
unchanged from the perspective of most users.

> The biggest thing that EVMS had going for it was it's modular design. As I
> understand it, EVMS could even be used to manage the current MD and LVM
> drivers. I was looking forward to partition-level encryption, etc.

And we will still maintain that modular design. In fact, we see this as
making the design even more modular, since it won't have to be tied to a
single kernel driver. Device mapper can be used for supporting disk
partitions, LVM, and some other plugins. The MD driver can be used to support
software RAID. We've even had thoughts about building on the existing loop
driver in order to provide the partition-level encryption that you mentioned.
And all of this from a single, unified interface.

> But never mind me. I'm just a linux user, not a linux developer.

Actually, it *is* the users that we are most concerned with. This is why we
are going to make such an effort to keep our tools as unchanged as possible.
But we really do think that this is the best solution in the long term, for
both the users and the developers.

If you continue to have any concerns about this, please let us know. We will
do our best to address them and explain any other details about this change
that you are unsure of.

-Kevin

2002-11-06 00:09:54

by Lars Marowsky-Bree