2003-01-07 22:22:28

by Roman Zippel

Subject: Re: Linux iSCSI Initiator, OpenSource (fwd) (Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!)

Hi,

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Please continue to think of TCP checksums as valid for a data transport,
> you data will be gone soon enough.
>
> Initiator == Controller
> Target == Disk
> iSCSI == cable or ribbon
>
> Please turn off the CRC on your disk drive and see if you still have data.

This maybe works as PR, but otherwise it's crap.
With a network protocol you have multiple possibilities to increase the
reliability. The lower you do it in the network layer the easier is it
to put it into hardware and to optimize it and the more generically it's
usable. Doing it in the protocol is only the last resort. The iSCSI
protocol is a nice protocol - if you ignore all the crap the hardware
vendors put in (that stuff only makes sense if you want to produce ultra
cheap hardware).

bye, Roman

2003-01-07 22:38:42

by Andre Hedrick

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> > Please continue to think of TCP checksums as valid for a data transport,
> > you data will be gone soon enough.
> >
> > Initiator == Controller
> > Target == Disk
> > iSCSI == cable or ribbon
> >
> > Please turn off the CRC on your disk drive and see if you still have data.
>
> This maybe works as PR, but otherwise it's crap.

So, please turn off the CRC's in your onboard storage today and see how
long it lasts.

> With a network protocol you have multiple possibilities to increase the
> reliability. The lower you do it in the network layer the easier is it
> to put it into hardware and to optimize it and the more generically it's
> usable. Doing it in the protocol is only the last resort. The iSCSI
> protocol is a nice protocol - if you ignore all the crap the hardware
> vendors put in (that stuff only makes sense if you want to produce ultra
> cheap hardware).

I will be happy to see everyone turn off the CRC's on the data and headers
on their products or the open sources ones which fail to follow the rules.
I am well away of everyones contempt for standards.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick, CTO & Founder
iSCSI Software Solutions Provider
http://www.PyXTechnologies.com/

2003-01-08 16:40:02

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:45:51PM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> > Andre Hedrick wrote:
> >
> > > Please continue to think of TCP checksums as valid for a data transport,
> > > you data will be gone soon enough.
> > >
> > > Initiator == Controller
> > > Target == Disk
> > > iSCSI == cable or ribbon
> > >
> > > Please turn off the CRC on your disk drive and see if you still have data.
> >
> > This maybe works as PR, but otherwise it's crap.
>
> So, please turn off the CRC's in your onboard storage today and see how
> long it lasts.

1) Bad comparison.

2) It'd last very very long, because I never get a CRC error anyway.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2003-01-08 19:30:30

by Andre Hedrick

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > > This maybe works as PR, but otherwise it's crap.
> >
> > So, please turn off the CRC's in your onboard storage today and see how
> > long it lasts.
>
> 1) Bad comparison.
>
> 2) It'd last very very long, because I never get a CRC error anyway.

So turn them off so it never checks, nevermind :-)

--ah