2003-02-13 23:17:34

by Larry Hileman

Subject: Question about 48 bit IDE on 2.4.18 kernel

Please excuse me if this is not the correct forum.
I have a question about the 2.4.18 kernel.

I am currently trying to use drives larger than 134G on my target system.

I would expect that the CMD680 and CSB6 drivers have been updated since
the 2.4.18 kernel. Can someone let me know where I can find the most
recent drivers. I have checked the sources I know for the latest driver and
not had any luck. I was hoping someone may have a better set of sources.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Larry

2003-02-13 23:37:00

by Alan

Subject: Re: Question about 48 bit IDE on 2.4.18 kernel

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 23:27, Larry Hileman wrote:
> I would expect that the CMD680 and CSB6 drivers have been updated since
> the 2.4.18 kernel. Can someone let me know where I can find the most
> recent drivers. I have checked the sources I know for the latest driver and
> not had any luck. I was hoping someone may have a better set of sources.

The 2.4.20/21predrivers support LBA48

2003-02-13 23:41:35

by Larry Hileman

Do the 2.4.20/21 predrivers work on a 2.4.18 kernel?
Or have they been back ported?

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 23:27, Larry Hileman wrote:
> I would expect that the CMD680 and CSB6 drivers have been updated since
> the 2.4.18 kernel. Can someone let me know where I can find the most
> recent drivers. I have checked the sources I know for the latest driver
and
> not had any luck. I was hoping someone may have a better set of sources.

The 2.4.20/21predrivers support LBA48

2003-02-14 00:48:44

by Alan

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 23:51, Larry Hileman wrote:
> Do the 2.4.20/21 predrivers work on a 2.4.18 kernel?
> Or have they been back ported?

No and no. The newer IDE code has dependancies on the block layer
improvements.

2003-02-14 06:24:59

by Andre Hedrick

If you want them back ported, you should do it your self of offer to pay
someone.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Larry Hileman wrote:

> Do the 2.4.20/21 predrivers work on a 2.4.18 kernel?
> Or have they been back ported?

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2003-02-14 17:25:14

by Larry Hileman

Ok, from this information it would seem that the 2.4.18 kernel
will not support > 137G drives?

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 23:51, Larry Hileman wrote:
> Do the 2.4.20/21 predrivers work on a 2.4.18 kernel?
> Or have they been back ported?

No and no. The newer IDE code has dependancies on the block layer
improvements.

2003-02-14 17:33:37

by Tomas Szepe

> [[email protected]]
>
> Ok, from this information it would seem that the 2.4.18 kernel
> will not support > 137G drives?

Is there any reason why you couldn't upgrade to 2.4.20?

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>

2003-02-14 17:41:17

by Larry Hileman

I was asked to figure a way to get us over the 137G barrier on
the 2.4.18 kernel. Going to 2.4.20/21 can be done in parallel
and I will explain this.

Moving to 2.4.20/21 is a large effort here. If I need to implement
the larger drives in 2.4.18, I'd like to make sure that this
has not already been done and that I have the latest code.

> Ok, from this information it would seem that the 2.4.18 kernel
> will not support > 137G drives?

Is there any reason why you couldn't upgrade to 2.4.20?

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>

2003-02-14 17:53:31

by Tomas Szepe

> [[email protected]]
>
> Moving to 2.4.20/21 is a large effort here. If I need to implement
> the larger drives in 2.4.18, I'd like to make sure that this
> has not already been done and that I have the latest code.

Well, the patches to the IDE layer in patch-2.4.19 & patch-2.4.20
are both relatively numerous and large, but should still be quite
straightforward to extract, given you're good with various diff
utils. The block layer changes that Alan mentions will be minimal
and probably easy to trace.

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>