2001-02-03 19:07:38

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Linux-NTFS project, first public release

This is to announce the first public release of the Linux-NTFS project
hosted on sourceforge. The project page, where you can download the source
code tar ball or rpm as well as precompiled RPMs for RedHat Linux 7.0 (i386
architecture only), is:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
You can also use the CVS server if you prefer...
Note, that you need the kernel headers installed to compile linux-ntfs
source (probably you will need 2.4.x kernel headers and not 2.2.x ones but
I haven't actually checked whether it works with 2.2.x or not).

The first release contains the all new and wonderful ntfsfix utility, which
repairs some of the damage that the current Linux NTFS driver does when
writing to an NTFS partition.

If you are doing any writing to NTFS partitions using the Linux NTFS driver
this is an absolute *MUST* at the present time. It won't solve all
problems, but it goes quite some way to prevent data corruption.

Run it after dismounting your NTFS partition in Linux but before rebooting
into Windows NT/2000.

Note, after running the utility, when Windows boots up it will run an
automatic chkdsk on the partition which will finish fixing the damage done
by the Linux NTFS driver without corrupting the written data or any other
data (as long as the Linux NTFS driver hasn't corrupted something beyond
repair, obviously).

For amusement value, the first release also includes the ntfsdump_logfile
utility which when used on an NTFS partition will display information about
the journal ($LogFile) of that partition.

Finally both these utilities make use of the also included NTFS library
which offer NTFS access to open source programs. It is currently under
heavy development and the API is not going to remain as it is so don't use
it yet for your own programs.

For everyone interested in NTFS on-disk structures and functionality, you
will find the doc directory and especially the include directory to be of
great interest as the later includes header files with all known to me NTFS
structures. I still haven't gone through all the NTFS information that is
available so they are considered work in progress but are fairly complete I
thing. Most people will probably find that the $LogFile structures have
never been published before anywhere and now we have the restart area
structure definitions.

Any problems compiling/running the utilities, just give me a shout, or even
better submit bug reports on the project page!

Enjoy!

Anton

--
"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet get the work done". -
Linus Torvalds

2001-02-04 00:14:53

by Matthew Fredrickson

Thank goodness, it's about time. :-)

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 07:08:44PM +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> [...]
>
> For everyone interested in NTFS on-disk structures and functionality, you
> will find the doc directory and especially the include directory to be of
> great interest as the later includes header files with all known to me NTFS
> structures. I still haven't gone through all the NTFS information that is
> available so they are considered work in progress but are fairly complete I
> thing. Most people will probably find that the $LogFile structures have
> never been published before anywhere and now we have the restart area
> structure definitions.
>
> Any problems compiling/running the utilities, just give me a shout, or even
> better submit bug reports on the project page!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Anton
>

> --
> "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet get the work done". -

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:14:33PM -0600, [email protected] wrote:

> Thank goodness, it's about time. :-)

Amen.

Jeff

> [...]
> > structure definitions.
> >
> > Any problems compiling/running the utilities, just give me a shout, or even
> > better submit bug reports on the project page!
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Anton
> >

> > --
> > "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet get the work done". -
> > Linus Torvalds
> > --
> > Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cam.ac.uk> (replace at with @)
> > Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
> > ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> -

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:14:33PM -0600, [email protected] wrote:

To date, I have provided tools to 7,000+ folks who use this driver that
trash their NTFS partitions. TRG will discontinue distribution of these
tools at this point since Anton has a Linux based version.

Please do not email me for any more NT based repair tools for damaged
NTFS partitions trashed by Linux. Please contact Andre and use his
tools instead. I will inform Microsoft I will no longer be providing
these tools since Anton now has something that will do the job.

:-)

Jeff

> [...]
> > thing. Most people will probably find that the $LogFile structures have
> > never been published before anywhere and now we have the restart area
> > structure definitions.
> >
> > Any problems compiling/running the utilities, just give me a shout, or even
> > better submit bug reports on the project page!
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Anton
> >

> > --
> > "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet get the work done". -
> > Linus Torvalds
> > --
> > Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cam.ac.uk> (replace at with @)
> > Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
> > ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Anton Altaparmakov

At 01:16 04/02/2001, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>To date, I have provided tools to 7,000+ folks who use this driver that
>trash their NTFS partitions. TRG will discontinue distribution of these
>tools at this point since Anton has a Linux based version.
>
>Please do not email me for any more NT based repair tools for damaged
>NTFS partitions trashed by Linux. Please contact Andre and use his

You probably meant Anton in the sentence above...

>tools instead. I will inform Microsoft I will no longer be providing
>these tools since Anton now has something that will do the job.

The NTFS disk edit utility you were providing does quite a lot more since
it is interactive. And my utility doesn't do everything I would like it to
do yet but it does work so I wanted to push a release out of the door ASAP.
But it doesn't really matter. The NTFS disk editor is a relatively freely
available utility as I found out recently, anyways. It is present on the
Windows NT4 Service Pack 4 CD! It's not mentioned anywhere in the
documentation but it sure is there among the service pack files. I managed
to dig the out in our College computer office and it's now officially mine.
That has the advantage of not binding you to the license of only using it
for repairing NTFS partitions... (-:

Best regards,

Anton

Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/