2001-02-10 00:42:17

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

Subject: Re: spelling of disc (disk) in /devfs

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I accidentally built my 2.4.1 kernel with /devfs so had a interesting
> few minutes looking round it to see what it was doing.
>
> The thing that struck me most was the spelling of disc with a 'c'. As
> an Englishman this is the correct spelling for me most of the time,
> but I have come to accept "as a technical term" disk (as in American)
> is the right name for these devices.
>
> I now find myself confused with the new approach.

It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used the
'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO, were
reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.

2001-02-10 23:18:30

by Tony Hoyle

Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:

> It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used the
> 'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO, were
> reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.

I can remember having this argument back in the days of the BBC Micro. The
BBC is the only machine I have ever seen that used 'disc'... In those days
I assumed it was correct. Over time, I came to accept that we used 'disk' for
the same reasons we use 'program' rather than 'programme'.

I haven't heard anyone in the UK spell it 'disc' for years....

When I last tried devfs (around the 2.4.0test era - a short and painful experience, but
that's another story) I was confused by the use of 'disc'. IMHO it should be changed,
because it's simply wrong, even in england (so please stop blaming us for it!).

Tony

--
"User DATA\tmh cannot be created because DATA\tmh does not exist."
Windows -- Great UI huh?

[email protected] http://www.nothing-on.tv

2001-02-10 23:52:01

by Albert D. Cahalan

> It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used
> the 'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO,
> were reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.

No, "disk" is correct for everything, but we use "disc" for a reason.

It is a non-word, which helps with trademark protection.
It is odd, so it catches attention. Companies operating
in the US have a habit of spelling words wrong whenever
possible.

To us, "disc" is like "cliq", "qwest", "thru", "raq"...

Real UNIX uses "dsk", but IBM's name ("dasd") makes more sense
for all the recent non-disk storage devices. The shape of the
device does not matter; what matters is that it is a Direct
Access Storage Device.

Using "disc" just sucks. I think the devfs author likes to
make the rest of the world suffer for some nationalistic
revenge. I and many others will forever curse the damn thing.

2001-02-11 00:23:12

by Rik van Riel

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Using "disc" just sucks. I think the devfs author likes to
> make the rest of the world suffer for some nationalistic
> revenge. I and many others will forever curse the damn thing.

I and many others will never use the thing.

I know I'll NEVER get used to a /dev/disc and I don't have
any use for devfs, so why should I even bother ?

regards,

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/

2001-02-11 03:59:08

by John Cavan

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> > It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used
> > the 'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO,
> > were reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.
>
> No, "disk" is correct for everything, but we use "disc" for a reason.

Because "disc" is the English way of spelling it. I find it refreshing
to have proper English show up in the industry, I'm getting tired of
typing "color"... :o)