2001-02-20 03:33:06

by Shawn Starr

Subject: [WISHLIST] Addition of suspend patch into 2.5?

Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?

Shawn.

2001-02-23 08:56:47

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: [WISHLIST] Addition of suspend patch into 2.5?

Hi!

> Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?

I'd like it included, too. Some toshiba laptops support sleep but not
suspend, and battery runs out within few hours if it was low before
suspend. That's bad.

And the patch was pretty clean last time I checked.
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2001-03-29 08:53:44

by Robert-Velisav MICIOVICI

Just a small adition to the 2.5 whislist:
Is "hibernation" on linux possible? Ideally it should write out on the /
running on ext2fs and the new journaling fs's like reiserfs, xfs, etx3 etc
and not some special filesystem or unpartiotioned space etc. I mean that
this should be working without the need to repartiotion/reinstall.
This is something **very** useful for laptop owners, not having to shut
down (all) applications when need to grab the laptop and travel.
Id' like to see this working nice in 2.6.

Best regards,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:43:08 +0100
> From: Pavel Machek <[email protected]>
> To: Shawn Starr <[email protected]>, lkm <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [WISHLIST] Addition of suspend patch into 2.5?
>
> Hi!
>
> > Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?
>
> I'd like it included, too. Some toshiba laptops support sleep but not
> suspend, and battery runs out within few hours if it was low before
> suspend. That's bad.
>
> And the patch was pretty clean last time I checked.
> Pavel
> --
> I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
> Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]
> -

by Shawn Starr

Not only for laptops :)

It's nice for PCs too also.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Robert-Velisav MICIOVICI wrote:

> Just a small adition to the 2.5 whislist:
> Is "hibernation" on linux possible? Ideally it should write out on the /
> running on ext2fs and the new journaling fs's like reiserfs, xfs, etx3 etc
> and not some special filesystem or unpartiotioned space etc. I mean that
> this should be working without the need to repartiotion/reinstall.
> This is something **very** useful for laptop owners, not having to shut
> down (all) applications when need to grab the laptop and travel.
> Id' like to see this working nice in 2.6.
>
> Best regards,
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:43:08 +0100
> > From: Pavel Machek <[email protected]>
> > To: Shawn Starr <[email protected]>, lkm <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [WISHLIST] Addition of suspend patch into 2.5?
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > > Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?
> >
> > I'd like it included, too. Some toshiba laptops support sleep but not
> > suspend, and battery runs out within few hours if it was low before
> > suspend. That's bad.
> >
> > And the patch was pretty clean last time I checked.
> > Pavel
> > --
> > I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
> > Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

> -

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Just a small adition to the 2.5 whislist:
> Is "hibernation" on linux possible? Ideally it should write out on the /

I just said it is. However you definitely do not want to write it onto
filesystem -- that's much too hard. But you can write it to the swap space,
and that's exactly what the patch does.

> running on ext2fs and the new journaling fs's like reiserfs, xfs, etx3 etc
> and not some special filesystem or unpartiotioned space etc. I mean that
> this should be working without the need to repartiotion/reinstall.
> This is something **very** useful for laptop owners, not having to shut
> down (all) applications when need to grab the laptop and travel.
> Id' like to see this working nice in 2.6.
>
> Best regards,
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:43:08 +0100
> > From: Pavel Machek <[email protected]>
> > To: Shawn Starr <[email protected]>, lkm <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [WISHLIST] Addition of suspend patch into 2.5?
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > > Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?
> >
> > I'd like it included, too. Some toshiba laptops support sleep but not
> > suspend, and battery runs out within few hours if it was low before
> > suspend. That's bad.
> >
> > And the patch was pretty clean last time I checked.
> > Pavel
> > --
> > I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
> > Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

> -

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Not only for laptops :)
>
> It's nice for PCs too also.

And it is called sw_susp. So what about trying it, *NOW*?

by Mikulas Patocka

Hi!

> > Any idea if suspend/hybernation will be in future kernels?
>
> I'd like it included, too. Some toshiba laptops support sleep but not
> suspend, and battery runs out within few hours if it was low before
> suspend. That's bad.
>
> And the patch was pretty clean last time I checked.
> Pavel

Clean? I think it is impossible to write hibernation properly without
adding suspend/resume hooks to all drivers. And I doubt anybody is able to
do it.

If we don't rewrite all drivers, hibernation will be just a 'cool feature'
that doesn't work most time.

Mikulas