2001-11-06 12:00:51

by Keith Owens

Subject: Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 1.5 is available

2001-11-06 12:48:04

by Denis Vlasenko

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 12:00, Keith Owens wrote:
> Release 1.5 of kernel build for kernel 2.5 (kbuild 2.5) has been
> released. http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild/, Package kbuild-2.5,
> download release 1.5.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=99725412902968&w=2
> contains information about the base release.

I don't use kbuild yet but really like the idea.
What prevents its adoption as a standard kernel build tool?
--
vda

2001-11-06 14:57:07

by Keith Owens

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:46:09 +0000,
vda <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Tuesday 06 November 2001 12:00, Keith Owens wrote:
>> Release 1.5 of kernel build for kernel 2.5 (kbuild 2.5) has been
>> released. http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild/, Package kbuild-2.5,
>> download release 1.5.
>
>I don't use kbuild yet but really like the idea.
>What prevents its adoption as a standard kernel build tool?

It will be standard in 2.5, that is what it is designed for.

2001-11-06 15:41:59

by Dave Jones

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Keith Owens wrote:

Hi Keith,

> It will be standard in 2.5, that is what it is designed for.

Is the inclusion of several autogenerated files in the current patch
a diff mistake, or is this intended due to planned changes?

Configure.help references CONFIG_KERNEL_FORMAT_BZIMAGE but this
variable doesn't appear anywhere else. Or is this a CML2 only symbol ?

regards,

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2001-11-06 17:40:54

by Peter Samuelson

[vda]
> I don't use kbuild yet but really like the idea.
> What prevents its adoption as a standard kernel build tool?

Integration into the kernel tree, which is scheduled for very early in
the 2.5 cycle. (Before you ask, NO, we do not need yet another brand
new thing in 2.4!)

Peter

2001-11-07 00:33:37

by Keith Owens

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:41:38 +0100 (CET),
Dave Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is the inclusion of several autogenerated files in the current patch
>a diff mistake, or is this intended due to planned changes?

It is intended. See Documentation/kbuild/kbuild-2.5.txt, under
"Shipping Generated Files". These files are generated by tools that
not all users will have installed.

> Configure.help references CONFIG_KERNEL_FORMAT_BZIMAGE but this
>variable doesn't appear anywhere else. Or is this a CML2 only symbol ?

That should be CONFIG_BZIMAGE in Configure.help, typo.