2001-11-26 16:41:00

by David Relson

Subject: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]

Marcelo,

Thank you for stepping forward to be the maintainer of the 2.4 tree. This
is a very valuable and important service for use Linux users.

Also, thank you for releasing 2.4.16. I have it building on my linux box
as I write this message :-)

Over the last few days, there have been lots of messages regarding "Kernel
Release" and "-preX vs. -rcX". You, as the official maintainer of kernel
2.4 are the person who actually creates the release policy and makes it happen.

Would you care to share your thoughts on this matter?

David

At 07:30 AM 11/26/01, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Due to the corruption problems on 2.4.15, I'm releasing 2.4.16.

2001-11-26 16:50:53

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, David Relson wrote:

> Marcelo,
>
> Thank you for stepping forward to be the maintainer of the 2.4 tree. This
> is a very valuable and important service for use Linux users.
>
> Also, thank you for releasing 2.4.16. I have it building on my linux box
> as I write this message :-)
>
> Over the last few days, there have been lots of messages regarding "Kernel
> Release" and "-preX vs. -rcX". You, as the official maintainer of kernel
> 2.4 are the person who actually creates the release policy and makes it happen.
>
> Would you care to share your thoughts on this matter?

Sorry for not being able to discuss this issues... Its just that I'm too
busy doing the maintenance and other stuff at Conectiva at the same time
(people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).

Daniel Quinlan suggested me to release a "pre-final" release before the
real final one (which would catch most "stupid" bugs), and I think thats a
nice way of solving the problem.

I'll _probably_ do that --- not sure yet, though.

2001-11-26 17:08:00

by Chris Meadors

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Sorry for not being able to discuss this issues... Its just that I'm too
> busy doing the maintenance and other stuff at Conectiva at the same time
> (people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).
>
> Daniel Quinlan suggested me to release a "pre-final" release before the
> real final one (which would catch most "stupid" bugs), and I think thats a
> nice way of solving the problem.
>
> I'll _probably_ do that --- not sure yet, though.

Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals? And what if there is a big bug found in
the -final, it will obviously be followed up with a -final-final?

I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine for
the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems found
with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no more bug
reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg. The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo." The second penguin

2001-11-26 17:11:50

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Chris Meadors wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > Sorry for not being able to discuss this issues... Its just that I'm too
> > busy doing the maintenance and other stuff at Conectiva at the same time
> > (people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).
> >
> > Daniel Quinlan suggested me to release a "pre-final" release before the
> > real final one (which would catch most "stupid" bugs), and I think thats a
> > nice way of solving the problem.
> >
> > I'll _probably_ do that --- not sure yet, though.
>
> Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals?

No. Just the -pre-final is a -pre-final. :)

-pre-final basically means that this is the "candidate" release for the
final.

I could call it "candidate" or whatever (I don't really care about the
name).

> And what if there is a big bug found in the -final, it will obviously
> be followed up with a -final-final?

If people don't like the -pre-final name, I can call it "-candidate" as I
said previously.

> I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine
> for the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems
> found with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no
> more bug reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

Thats exactly the idea with the "pre-final" thingie.

2001-11-26 17:15:20

by David Relson

At 12:22 PM 11/26/01, Chris Meadors wrote:

>Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals? And what if there is a big bug found in
>the -final, it will obviously be followed up with a -final-final?
>
>I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine for
>the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems found
>with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no more bug
>reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.
>
>-Chris

Chris,

I think of -pre releases as beta code - testable and likely broken. An -rc
release would be "possibly broken". If problems are encountered, fix ONLY
those problems to generate the next -rc. If it's O.K., then make it "final".

David

2001-11-26 17:41:41

by David Rees

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:54:11PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine
> > for the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems
> > found with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no
> > more bug reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.
>
> Thats exactly the idea with the "pre-final" thingie.

Most groups use -rc release candidate releases, so using that instead of
-pre-final would lead to the least confusion.

A 2.4.17 release might look like this:

Release 2.4.17-preX until all the new stuff you want is in.
Release 2.4.17-rcX until no-one complains about the new stuff.
Release the last 2.4.17-rcX as 2.4.17 and hope no one finds anything
embarassing (which will probably happen anyway.

Seems to me though, that you can simply put a note in your Changelog which
-pre releases are bound to be to the next final revision, this will save us
from yet another numbering scheme.

-Dave

2001-11-26 17:54:11

by Dana Lacoste

I think the problem is that there can't be any code
changes from the last -[pre[-final]|rc] release and
the actual release.

And Marcelo seems to think this way too.

So can we drop it? There will be no changes from the
last pre-release and the actual release, so this will
not be an issue :)

Dana Lacoste - Linux Developer
Peregrine Systems - Ottawa, Canada

2001-11-26 17:59:51

by John Jasen

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Dana Lacoste wrote:

> I think the problem is that there can't be any code
> changes from the last -[pre[-final]|rc] release and
> the actual release.
>
> And Marcelo seems to think this way too.

I think a better idea would be a feature freeze of some sort, where only
fixes to bugs discovered in -rcN series kernels can be added to -rcN+1

--
-- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.

2001-11-26 18:16:02

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Marcelo Tosatti <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> No. Just the -pre-final is a -pre-final. :)
>
> -pre-final basically means that this is the "candidate" release for the
> final.
>
> I could call it "candidate" or whatever (I don't really care about the
> name).

That's what a release candidate is. Expect the possibility that you
might have more than one release candidate.

The -rc scheme proposed seems very clean indeed.

Oh, and yes, if you settle on a naming scheme, *please* let me know
ahead of time so I can update the scripts to track it, rather than
finding out by having hundreds of complaints in my mailbox...

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2001-11-26 18:31:31

by David Weinehall

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:12:50AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <[email protected]>
> By author: Marcelo Tosatti <[email protected]>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > No. Just the -pre-final is a -pre-final. :)
> >
> > -pre-final basically means that this is the "candidate" release for the
> > final.
> >
> > I could call it "candidate" or whatever (I don't really care about the
> > name).
> >

> That's what a release candidate is. Expect the possibility that you
> might have more than one release candidate.
>
> The -rc scheme proposed seems very clean indeed.
>
> Oh, and yes, if you settle on a naming scheme, *please* let me know
> ahead of time so I can update the scripts to track it, rather than
> finding out by having hundreds of complaints in my mailbox...

I for one used the -pre and -pre-final naming for the v2.0.39-series,
and I'll probably use the same naming for the final pre-patch of
v2.0.40, _unless_ there's some sort of agreement on another naming
scheme. I'd be perfectly content with using the -rc naming for the
final instead. The important thing is not the naming itself, but
consistency between the different kernel-trees.

Regards: David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-11-26 18:34:14

by H. Peter Anvin

David Weinehall wrote:

>>Oh, and yes, if you settle on a naming scheme, *please* let me know
>>ahead of time so I can update the scripts to track it, rather than
>>finding out by having hundreds of complaints in my mailbox...
>>

> I for one used the -pre and -pre-final naming for the v2.0.39-series,
> and I'll probably use the same naming for the final pre-patch of
> v2.0.40, _unless_ there's some sort of agreement on another naming
> scheme. I'd be perfectly content with using the -rc naming for the
> final instead. The important thing is not the naming itself, but
> consistency between the different kernel-trees.

Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
-pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
shame in needing more than one release candidate.

-hpa

2001-11-26 18:44:44

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> David Weinehall wrote:
>

> >>Oh, and yes, if you settle on a naming scheme, *please* let me know
> >>ahead of time so I can update the scripts to track it, rather than
> >>finding out by having hundreds of complaints in my mailbox...
> >>

> > I for one used the -pre and -pre-final naming for the v2.0.39-series,
> > and I'll probably use the same naming for the final pre-patch of
> > v2.0.40, _unless_ there's some sort of agreement on another naming
> > scheme. I'd be perfectly content with using the -rc naming for the
> > final instead. The important thing is not the naming itself, but
> > consistency between the different kernel-trees.
> >

> Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
> scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
> that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
> -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
> candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
> shame in needing more than one release candidate.

Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

2001-11-26 18:50:31

by Bjoern A. Zeeb

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Chris Meadors wrote:

> I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine for
> the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems found
> with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no more bug
> reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

Hi,

I am neither a vendor nor maintainer nor a great kernel hacker but I
think you all miss at least one point (what I for sure do too):

The problem is that you kernel hackers out there fetch the pre stuff
and test it that others run test cycles on them ... . But the
lot of people out there will never fetch anything else than
a "release" ; no -pre no -rc no -ac no whatever prefix or suffix.
You will not get them just because somebody 's changing the name
to something else.

Make your test periods longer. If there are no real serious bug in the
pre let the pre live for a week or 2 or even longer. Who cares ? We are in
'stable' branch at the moment! At some (early) point of pre-releases
stop accepting any further features and if the -pre gets real close to being
fine announce that it'll be the last one, make a note to the changelog,
wait another week for seriuos bufixes and then release the tarballs
(or if any have one more pre).

There are for sure some points that there should be better no
more different naming conventions: hpa will surely have to hack up more
scripts, things might get inconsistent between different stable/dev.
versions, we already have the -<some letter> releases for other kernel
hacker's releases like -aa -ac, ... and so on...
But if you really decide on another suffix my vote would be -rc 'cause
it's the most common one (perhaps linus then will use it in the future
too ?)

And always keep in mind: another new 'release' is nothing else than
another 'release candidate' to the next version with hopefully less
bugs more stability (and sometimes more features ;)

just my 5 cents

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
56 69 73 69 74 http://www.zabbadoz.net/

2001-11-26 19:00:11

by FD Cami

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

Thanks a lot - much better that way.

Fran?ois

2001-11-26 19:06:01

by H. Peter Anvin

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

>>Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
>>scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
>>that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
>>-pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
>>candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
>>shame in needing more than one release candidate.
>>

> Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

I have updated the kernel.org scripts to recognize the -rc naming
convention. Any -rc patch found is assumed to be newer than any -pre
patch found.

I will try to add tracking of the v2.0 and v2.2 trees sometime later this
week.

-hpa

2001-11-26 19:08:57

by Jonathan Lundell

At 3:25 PM -0200 11/26/01, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
>> scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
>> that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
>> -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
>> candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
>> shame in needing more than one release candidate.
>
>Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

A quibble: "release" seems an odd word to choose for a Linux kernel.
Since we're calling the target kernel "final", how about -fc1,
-fc2...?
--
/Jonathan Lundell.

2001-11-26 19:32:11

by Flavio Stanchina

On Monday 26 November 2001 20:06, Jonathan Lundell wrote:

> >Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...
> A quibble: "release" seems an odd word to choose for a Linux kernel.
> Since we're calling the target kernel "final", how about -fc1,
> -fc2...?

Sounds a bit too much like the f-word.

"rc" is the universally recognized name for such things (heck, even
Microsoft) so I'd stick with it.

--
Ciao,
Flavio Stanchina

"The best defense against logic is ignorance."
http://spazioweb.inwind.it/fstanchina/

2001-11-26 19:41:01

by David Weinehall

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 03:25:24PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > I for one used the -pre and -pre-final naming for the v2.0.39-series,
> > > and I'll probably use the same naming for the final pre-patch of
> > > v2.0.40, _unless_ there's some sort of agreement on another naming
> > > scheme. I'd be perfectly content with using the -rc naming for the
> > > final instead. The important thing is not the naming itself, but
> > > consistency between the different kernel-trees.
> > >

> > Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
> > scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
> > that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
> > -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
> > candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
> > shame in needing more than one release candidate.
>
> Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

Ok, then I'll do likewise.

Linus, Alan?

Regards: David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-11-26 19:45:53

by Jonathan Lundell

At 8:28 PM +0100 11/26/01, Flavio Stanchina wrote:
>On Monday 26 November 2001 20:06, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
>
>> >Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...
>> A quibble: "release" seems an odd word to choose for a Linux kernel.
>> Since we're calling the target kernel "final", how about -fc1,
>> -fc2...?
>
>Sounds a bit too much like the f-word.
>
>"rc" is the universally recognized name for such things (heck, even
>Microsoft) so I'd stick with it.

So in a choice between sex, love and Microsoft, we choose Microsoft?

I'm more used to -fc, myself; in fact I was unfamiliar with -rc. But
if Microsoft uses -rc, by all means, let's follow suit. ;-)
--
/Jonathan Lundell.

2001-11-26 20:43:02

by junio

MT> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
>> scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
>> that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
>> -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
>> candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
>> shame in needing more than one release candidate.

MT> Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...

(This is a request to maintainers of three stable trees).

While we are on the topic, could you also coordinate to keep the
EXTRAVERSION strings consistent? 2.4.X-preN uses "-preN" but
2.2.X-preN uses "preN" without leading "-".

2001-11-26 20:58:01

by David Weinehall

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 12:39:34PM -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> MT> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> Consistency is a Very Good Thing[TM] (says the one who tries to teach
> >> scripts to understand the naming.) The advantage with the -rc naming is
> >> that it avoids the -pre5, -pre6, -pre-final, -pre-final-really,
> >> -pre-final-really-i-mean-it-this-time phenomenon when the release
> >> candidate wasn't quite worthy, you just go -rc1, -rc2, -rc3. There is no
> >> shame in needing more than one release candidate.
>
> MT> Agreed. I stick with the -rc naming convention for 2.4+...
>
> (This is a request to maintainers of three stable trees).
>
> While we are on the topic, could you also coordinate to keep the
> EXTRAVERSION strings consistent? 2.4.X-preN uses "-preN" but
> 2.2.X-preN uses "preN" without leading "-".

I'm using "-preN" with a leading "-", and will probably continue
doing so.

Regards: David
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-11-26 21:01:11

by H. Peter Anvin

David Weinehall wrote:

>>While we are on the topic, could you also coordinate to keep the
>>EXTRAVERSION strings consistent? 2.4.X-preN uses "-preN" but
>>2.2.X-preN uses "preN" without leading "-".
>>

> I'm using "-preN" with a leading "-", and will probably continue
> doing so.

This matches the filename convention, and seems to be what most users expect.

-hpa

2001-11-26 21:22:11

by Bill Davidsen

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, David Relson wrote:

> At 12:22 PM 11/26/01, Chris Meadors wrote:
>
> >Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals? And what if there is a big bug found in
> >the -final, it will obviously be followed up with a -final-final?

All the -pre's are before the final, but not release candidates. I think
the rc until recently has been the one where someone said "we've put a
hell of a lot of new stuff in this..." and concentrated on reported bugs,
if any.

> >I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine for
> >the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems found
> >with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no more bug
> >reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

> I think of -pre releases as beta code - testable and likely broken. An -rc
> release would be "possibly broken". If problems are encountered, fix ONLY
> those problems to generate the next -rc. If it's O.K., then make it "final".

Other than some quibbling about nomenclature, that's how I see it. We
always had an alpha version for in-house testing only, then a beta for
selected users, which for Linux would be those who have the guts to run
the downloads, and then a release.

I did commenrcial software development for a few decades and that was
usually the practice, and that's what people like Microsoft were doing
when I did a few beta tests for them. I think it's a good model for Linux
stable kernel series.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by J.A. Magallon

On 20011126 Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

>The problem is that you kernel hackers out there fetch the pre stuff
>and test it that others run test cycles on them ... . But the
>lot of people out there will never fetch anything else than
>a "release" ; no -pre no -rc no -ac no whatever prefix or suffix.
>You will not get them just because somebody 's changing the name
>to something else.

The problem is the fear of people about -ac or -pre series. What should
be done is to teach people that what they think is kernel 2.4.8 from
RedHat or Mandrake is really 2.4.8-ac7 or the like. They are shipping
-ac versions (beacuse of preferences and driver update, usually are
-ac series and not -pre series). So your 'distro rock solid kernel'
is an -ac kernel (and I do not say that an -ac kernel is not rock
solid, I have run -ac's until 13-ac7).

--
J.A. Magallon # Let the source be with you...
mailto:[email protected]

2001-11-27 01:05:24

by Andrew Morton

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> (people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).

That's funny. The rest of us haven't seen these patches.

Marcelo, if someone sends you a patch which has not been thoroughly
reviewed on the appropriate mailing list, I would urge you to
peremptorily shitcan it. There is no reason why you alone should
be responsible for reviewing kernel changes.

-

2001-11-27 01:13:24

by David Miller