2002-12-12 17:55:29

by Breno

Subject: PROCESS IMIGRATION

Hi

I saw something about one project of FreeBSD and this is about imigration of
processes between two machines.
The kernel Linux has something about this , or some project like that ?

thanks
Breno

2002-12-12 18:14:00

by ciriso

Subject: Re: PROCESS IMIGRATION

d> Hi

> I saw something about one project of FreeBSD and this is about
> imigration of
> processes between two machines.
> The kernel Linux has something about this , or some project like that ?

Hi .
Perhaps are you finding OpenMosix ?

C?sar

2002-12-12 18:19:12

by Breno

C?sar

OpenMosix do this operation ?

thanks
> > I saw something about one project of FreeBSD and this is about
> > imigration of
> > processes between two machines.
> > The kernel Linux has something about this , or some project like that ?
>
> Hi .
> Perhaps are you finding OpenMosix ?
>
> C?sar

2002-12-12 18:30:53

by ciriso

d> C?sar

> OpenMosix do this operation ?

Well ,I have tree Pentium(200mmx , 166 & 120 ) running
with Mosix .This is a patch for the kernel, i have 2.4.19 and
several user progs for admin.
Now , the node #3 is running setiathome owned for the node #1.
Basicly the nodes balance yours loads.

http://www.mosix.org
http://www.openmosix.org

Sorry for my english :)

> thanks

2002-12-12 21:09:04

by Luigi Genoni

You could have a loock at:

http://www.openmosix.org

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Breno wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:04:46 -0200
> From: Breno <[email protected]>
> To: Kernel List <[email protected]>
> Subject: PROCESS IMIGRATION
>
> Hi
>
> I saw something about one project of FreeBSD and this is about imigration of
> processes between two machines.
> The kernel Linux has something about this , or some project like that ?
>
> thanks
> Breno
>
> -

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:04:46PM -0200, Breno escreveu:
> I saw something about one project of FreeBSD and this is about imigration of
> processes between two machines.
> The kernel Linux has something about this , or some project like that ?

Right next door (oops, city):

http://www.cos.ufrj.br/~edpin/epckpt/

What is EPCKPT?

EPCKPT is a checkpoint/restart utility built into the Linux kernel.
Checkpointing is the ability to save an image of the state of a
process (or group of processes) at a certain point during its
lifetime. Checkpoints are important to a wide range of applications.
The most common uses for checkpointing are:
* Fault-tolerance
* Applications trace/Debugging
* Rollback/Animated playback
* Process migration

Our main interest right now is process migration. So, we optimized
EPCKPT to make process' image the smaller possible, so migration costs
would be low.

- Arnaldo