2004-10-14 15:52:12

by James Stevenson

Subject: ATA/133 Problems with multiple cards

Hi,

i seem to have run into an annoying problem with a machine which has
3 promise ata/133 card the PDC20269 type.

So far i have figured out the following
all cards work fine when tested by themselves.

All card work fine when tested with 1 other promise card in the machine.

Any card will fail during boot (the card furthest down the pci bus)
with the following eorros. (though the drives do report the correct drives
they are plugged into)

hdm: 490234752 sectors (251000 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=30515/255/63, UDMA(133)
hdo: attached ide-disk driver.
hdo: host protected area => 1
hdo: 490234752 sectors (251000 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=30515/255/63, UDMA(133)
Partition check:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 >
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0: p1
/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
/dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0: p1
/dev/ide/host2/bus1/target1/lun0: p1
/dev/ide/host4/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown parition table
/dev/ide/host4/bus1/target0/lun0: p1
/dev/ide/host6/bus0/target0/lun0:
hdm: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdm: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hdm: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hdm: error waiting for DMA
hdm: dma timeout retry: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdm: dma timeout retry: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
blk: queue c03ac5f8, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
unknown partition table

the errors continue for the other drive on the same controller.
booting the kernel with the option ide=nodma will allow it to
boot with no errors and function normally but without dma.

When i manually turn on dma on each drive it works fine and returns
no errors / produces no errors.

The only problem with this is that 2 of the 3 cards fucntion normally
the 3rd card run with dma disabled.

This is being run under 2.4.27.

Does anyone have an explenation of why this can happen ?

thanks
James

Subject: Re: ATA/133 Problems with multiple cards

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:12:42 -0500, Ian Pilcher <[email protected]> wrote:
> James Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > i seem to have run into an annoying problem with a machine which has
> > 3 promise ata/133 card the PDC20269 type.

> > Does anyone have an explenation of why this can happen ?

* check power supply
* compare PCI config space of the "failing" controller to the one which
is "working" (assuming that identical devices are connected to each),
maybe firmware/driver forgets to setup some settings

> Promise cards don't support more than two per machine. If you can get a
> third card to work in PIO mode, consider it an added (but unsupported)
> bonus.

AFAIR people have been running 4-5 cards just fine

2004-10-14 20:23:16

by Ian Pilcher

James Stevenson wrote:

> i seem to have run into an annoying problem with a machine which has
> 3 promise ata/133 card the PDC20269 type.

> Does anyone have an explenation of why this can happen ?

Promise cards don't support more than two per machine. If you can get a
third card to work in PIO mode, consider it an added (but unsupported)
bonus.

Ian Pilcher [email protected]

by Hans-Peter Jansen

<[email protected]> wrote:
> > James Stevenson wrote:
> > > i seem to have run into an annoying problem with a machine
> > > which has 3 promise ata/133 card the PDC20269 type.

> > > Does anyone have an explenation of why this can happen ?
>
> * check power supply
> * compare PCI config space of the "failing" controller to the one
> which is "working" (assuming that identical devices are connected
> to each), maybe firmware/driver forgets to setup some settings
>
> > Promise cards don't support more than two per machine. If you
> > can get a third card to work in PIO mode, consider it an added
> > (but unsupported) bonus.
>
> AFAIR people have been running 4-5 cards just fine

* apic mode is helpful
* current and even more important _identical_ firmware versions on all
cards, which is quite annoying, since the promise DOS firmware loader
doesn't like to be executed from a nbi ramdisk, neither on C:\ nor on
A:\ and I hate booting DOS from floppy.. :-(

Pete

2004-10-17 02:19:30

by James Stevenson

Hi,

i did actually kind of get the card's working together but ran into
another problem.

when i boot with ide=nodma and then turn on dma manually on all the other
cards / board chipset etc... they all function fine

then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133 it will
cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the promise bois
not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only shows drive listing for
2 of the 3 cards.

Unfortunatly this generated another problem.
When read from both drives at the same time it functions normally and
see resonable performance. When i attempt to write to both drives it will
cause the machine to lockup.

James

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:12:42 -0500, Ian Pilcher <[email protected]> wrote:
> > James Stevenson wrote:
> > >
> > > i seem to have run into an annoying problem with a machine which has
> > > 3 promise ata/133 card the PDC20269 type.

> > > Does anyone have an explenation of why this can happen ?
>
> * check power supply
> * compare PCI config space of the "failing" controller to the one which
> is "working" (assuming that identical devices are connected to each),
> maybe firmware/driver forgets to setup some settings
>
> > Promise cards don't support more than two per machine. If you can get a
> > third card to work in PIO mode, consider it an added (but unsupported)
> > bonus.
>
> AFAIR people have been running 4-5 cards just fine
> -

--------------------------
Mobile: +44 07779080838
http://www.stev.org
3:40am up 12:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Hi,

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:51:36 +0100 (BST), James Stevenson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i did actually kind of get the card's working together but ran into
> another problem.
>
> when i boot with ide=nodma and then turn on dma manually on all the other
> cards / board chipset etc... they all function fine
>
> then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133 it will
> cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the promise bois
> not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only shows drive listing for
> 2 of the 3 cards.

There were very similar problems reported in the past and they were
fixed by replacing power supply with a better one.

Also you shouldn't need to use "ide=nodma" and play with hdparm,
driver should tune the best mode available. If this doesn't work then
something needs fixing.

You can find out if BIOS/driver configures cards correctly by
comparing PCI config space (lspci -xxx) for working/non-working
controller.

> Unfortunatly this generated another problem.
> When read from both drives at the same time it functions normally and
> see resonable performance. When i attempt to write to both drives it will
> cause the machine to lockup.
>
> James
>

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> > * check power supply
> > * compare PCI config space of the "failing" controller to the one which
> > is "working" (assuming that identical devices are connected to each),
> > maybe firmware/driver forgets to setup some settings
> >
> > > Promise cards don't support more than two per machine. If you can get a
> > > third card to work in PIO mode, consider it an added (but unsupported)
> > > bonus.
> >
> > AFAIR people have been running 4-5 cards just fine
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

> --------------------------
> Mobile: +44 07779080838
> http://www.stev.org
> 3:40am up 12:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

2004-10-17 17:13:35

by James Stevenson

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> > i did actually kind of get the card's working together but ran into
> > another problem.
> >
> > when i boot with ide=nodma and then turn on dma manually on all the other
> > cards / board chipset etc... they all function fine
> >
> > then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133 it will
> > cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the promise bois
> > not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only shows drive listing for
> > 2 of the 3 cards.
>
> There were very similar problems reported in the past and they were
> fixed by replacing power supply with a better one.

I dont beleave the power supply to be a problem here. Since the problem
is local to just this 1 card. No matter where i place it on the pci bus
or swap it with the other promise cards the 3rd promise card on the bus
always fails. I have placed this also below / above a network card + scsi
card in the same machine. A volt meter on the power supply is giving
correct results. If the power supply was to be failing under load would
this not leed to more unpredictable lockups ?

eg running both commands at the same time.
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdi
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdk
will not cause a lockup

cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdo

will always cause a lockup with as soon as the disks start writing.
I have tried with all combinations of the disks / cables.

running a single command cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm will not cause a lockup
nor will the other command. Only when they are both running together will
it cause a problem. I can even run
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdi
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdk
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm
together without causing a lockup.
hdi and hdk are located on the 2nd promise card. hdm hdo are on the 3rd
card.

> Also you shouldn't need to use "ide=nodma" and play with hdparm,
> driver should tune the best mode available. If this doesn't work then
> something needs fixing.

> You can find out if BIOS/driver configures cards correctly by
> comparing PCI config space (lspci -xxx) for working/non-working
> controller.

The output of the 3 cards matches except for the memory address.

James

--
--------------------------
Mobile: +44 07779080838

2004-10-20 10:19:00

by James Stevenson

just to let anyone know if you were following this i replaced the
promise ata/133 card with a highpoint card and now strangly everything
works fine.

I also found various places on the internet that suggest promise actually
limit there card and make 3 of them not work toether in an attempt to
force you to buy there larger more expensive raid5 cards (8 channel).

James

> > > i did actually kind of get the card's working together but ran into
> > > another problem.
> > >
> > > when i boot with ide=nodma and then turn on dma manually on all the other
> > > cards / board chipset etc... they all function fine
> > >
> > > then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133 it will
> > > cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the promise bois
> > > not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only shows drive listing for
> > > 2 of the 3 cards.
> >
> > There were very similar problems reported in the past and they were
> > fixed by replacing power supply with a better one.
>
> I dont beleave the power supply to be a problem here. Since the problem
> is local to just this 1 card. No matter where i place it on the pci bus
> or swap it with the other promise cards the 3rd promise card on the bus
> always fails. I have placed this also below / above a network card + scsi
> card in the same machine. A volt meter on the power supply is giving
> correct results. If the power supply was to be failing under load would
> this not leed to more unpredictable lockups ?
>
> eg running both commands at the same time.
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdi
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdk
> will not cause a lockup
>
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdo
>
> will always cause a lockup with as soon as the disks start writing.
> I have tried with all combinations of the disks / cables.
>
> running a single command cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm will not cause a lockup
> nor will the other command. Only when they are both running together will
> it cause a problem. I can even run
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdi
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdk
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdm
> together without causing a lockup.
> hdi and hdk are located on the 2nd promise card. hdm hdo are on the 3rd
> card.
>
> > Also you shouldn't need to use "ide=nodma" and play with hdparm,
> > driver should tune the best mode available. If this doesn't work then
> > something needs fixing.
>
> > You can find out if BIOS/driver configures cards correctly by
> > comparing PCI config space (lspci -xxx) for working/non-working
> > controller.
>
> The output of the 3 cards matches except for the memory address.
>

> James
>
> > > Unfortunatly this generated another problem.
> > > When read from both drives at the same time it functions normally and
> > > see resonable performance. When i attempt to write to both drives it will
> > > cause the machine to lockup.
> > >
> > > James

--
--------------------------
Mobile: +44 07779080838
http://www.stev.org
11:20am up 18:18, 4 users, load average: 3.39, 1.38, 0.51

2004-10-20 10:42:23

by Hans-Peter Jansen

[Heavily stripped address lists]

On Sunday 17 October 2004 04:51, James Stevenson wrote:

> then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133
> it will cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the
> promise bois not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only
> shows drive listing for 2 of the 3 cards.

As noted before, this effect was always related to different firmware
versions on the cards here. Please check boot messages of all cards
separately, and confirm, that this isn't your problem.

Thanks,
Pete

2004-10-20 10:53:25

by James Stevenson

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> [Heavily stripped address lists]
>
> On Sunday 17 October 2004 04:51, James Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133
> > it will cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the
> > promise bois not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only
> > shows drive listing for 2 of the 3 cards.
>
> As noted before, this effect was always related to different firmware
> versions on the cards here. Please check boot messages of all cards
> separately, and confirm, that this isn't your problem.

I had them all flashed to the latest current version which was 2.20.0.15
when i started having problems. Each card was verified to that version as
well. Some did have older firmware on them.

The same problems were seen before / after flashign the card. As far as i
could tell the promise bios will run form the first card and init the
other cards it could be configuring something there which nobody else is
aware of. However this only showed drives / drive interfaces form the
first 2 cards never the 3rd card. After the bios has init'ed the carss
the bios doesnt run on any other cards.

When booting the machine will 3 cards and no drives attached the bios is
loaded and unloaded 3 times. This is why i belave something is getting
enable / disabled on the other cards by the bios.

James

--
--------------------------
Mobile: +44 07779080838

by James Stevenson

> > I had them all flashed to the latest current version which was
> > 2.20.0.15 when i started having problems. Each card was verified to
> > that version as well. Some did have older firmware on them.
> >
> > The same problems were seen before / after flashign the card. As
> > far as i could tell the promise bios will run form the first card
> > and init the other cards it could be configuring something there
> > which nobody else is aware of. However this only showed drives /
> > drive interfaces form the first 2 cards never the 3rd card. After
> > the bios has init'ed the carss the bios doesnt run on any other
> > cards.
>
> Yes, this is true, but shouldn't harm. See below.
>
> > When booting the machine will 3 cards and no drives attached the
> > bios is loaded and unloaded 3 times. This is why i belave something
> > is getting enable / disabled on the other cards by the bios.
>
> Hmm, I'm running 3 TX2/100 (even with different revisions) without
> big problems here:
>
> 00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
> 00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
> 00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 01)
>

> Besides these error messages, the drives seem to work fine, although
> as I investigated now, the dma modes look strange:

<snip dmesg / drive info>

> Also strange..
>
> These drives on the third controller are used only sporadic.
> The first 4 build a RAID5 array with hot spare and are used
> heavily (main server for diskless clients, mail, imap, samba,
> etc...) and the system sports 67 days uptime ATM :-).

Yeah thats what i had although when i tried to write to both disks on the
3rd controller (1 disk on each channel) the machine would lockup
do you see the same problem ?

also note that the card i have are a 20269 yours are a 20268
which is slightly different.

--
--------------------------
Mobile: +44 07779080838

by Hans-Peter Jansen

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 13:18, James Stevenson wrote:

> I had them all flashed to the latest current version which was
> 2.20.0.15 when i started having problems. Each card was verified to
> that version as well. Some did have older firmware on them.
>
> The same problems were seen before / after flashign the card. As
> far as i could tell the promise bios will run form the first card
> and init the other cards it could be configuring something there
> which nobody else is aware of. However this only showed drives /
> drive interfaces form the first 2 cards never the 3rd card. After
> the bios has init'ed the carss the bios doesnt run on any other
> cards.

Yes, this is true, but shouldn't harm. See below.

> When booting the machine will 3 cards and no drives attached the
> bios is loaded and unloaded 3 times. This is why i belave something
> is getting enable / disabled on the other cards by the bios.

Hmm, I'm running 3 TX2/100 (even with different revisions) without
big problems here:

00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 01)

<6>Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
<6>ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
<6>VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1
<6>VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
<6>VP_IDE: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
<6>ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
<6>VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:07.1
<6> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
<6> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
<6>PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
<6>PDC20268: chipset revision 2
<6>PDC20268: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
<6>PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0xdffe0000
<6> ide2: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-0xdc07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
<6> ide3: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-0xdc0f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
<6>PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0a.0
<6>PDC20268: chipset revision 2
<6>PDC20268: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
<6>PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0xdffd0000
<6> ide4: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
<6> ide5: BM-DMA at 0xb408-0xb40f, BIOS settings: hdk:pio, hdl:pio
<6>PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0b.0
<6>PDC20268: chipset revision 1
<6>PDC20268: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
<6>PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0xdffb0000
<6> ide6: BM-DMA at 0xa000-0xa007, BIOS settings: hdm:pio, hdn:pio
<6> ide7: BM-DMA at 0xa008-0xa00f, BIOS settings: hdo:pio, hdp:pio
<4>hda: MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive
<4>hdb: MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046ad40, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>blk: queue c046aea4, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
<4>hde: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046b688, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdg: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046bb2c, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdi: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046bfd0, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdk: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046c474, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdm: SAMSUNG SP0802N, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046c918, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>hdo: MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive
<4>blk: queue c046cdbc, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
<4>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
<4>ide2 at 0xec00-0xec07,0xe802 on irq 17
<4>ide3 at 0xe400-0xe407,0xe002 on irq 17
<4>ide4 at 0xc400-0xc407,0xc002 on irq 18
<4>ide5 at 0xbc00-0xbc07,0xb802 on irq 18
<4>ide6 at 0xb000-0xb007,0xac02 on irq 19
<4>ide7 at 0xa800-0xa807,0xa402 on irq 19
<4>hda: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hda: host protected area => 1
<6>hda: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=155114/16/63, UDMA(33)
<4>hdb: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdb: host protected area => 1
<6>hdb: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=155114/16/63, UDMA(33)
<4>hde: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hde: host protected area => 1
<6>hde: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=238216/16/63, UDMA(100)
<4>hdg: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdg: host protected area => 1
<6>hdg: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=238216/16/63, UDMA(100)
<4>hdi: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdi: host protected area => 1
<6>hdi: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=238216/16/63, UDMA(100)
<4>hdk: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdk: host protected area => 1
<6>hdk: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=238216/16/63, UDMA(100)
<4>hdm: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdm: host protected area => 1
<6>hdm: 156368016 sectors (80060 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=9733/255/63, UDMA(100)
<4>hdo: attached ide-disk driver.
<4>hdo: host protected area => 1
<6>hdo: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=155114/16/63, UDMA(100)
<6>ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
<6>Partition check:
<6> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 >
<6> hdb: hdb1 hdb2
<6> hde: hde1 hde2 hde3 < hde5 hde6 hde7 hde8 hde9 >
<6> hdg: hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 < hdg5 hdg6 hdg7 hdg8 hdg9 >
<6> hdi: hdi1 hdi2 hdi3 < hdi5 hdi6 hdi7 hdi8 hdi9 >
<6> hdk: hdk1 hdk2 hdk3 < hdk5 hdk6 hdk7 hdk8 hdk9 >
<6> hdm:hdm: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdm: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>blk: queue c046c918, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
<4>ide6: reset: success
<4> hdm1 hdm2
<6> hdo:hdo: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
<4>hdo: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
<4>blk: queue c046cdbc, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
<4>PDC202XX: Secondary channel reset.
<4>ide7: reset: success
<4> hdo1 hdo2

Besides these error messages, the drives seem to work fine, although
as I investigated now, the dma modes look strange:

/dev/hdk:

Model=Maxtor 6Y120L0, FwRev=YAR41VW0, SerialNo=Y41NTM7E
Config={ Fixed }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=240121728
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: (null):

OK

/dev/hdm:

Model=SAMSUNG SP0802N, FwRev=TK100-23, SerialNo=0709J1FW732061
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=34902, SectSize=554, ECCbytes=4
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=156368016
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 *udma3 udma4 udma5
AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: (null):

Strange..

/dev/hdo:

Model=MAXTOR 6L080J4, FwRev=A93.0500, SerialNo=664174010137
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=32256, SectSize=21298, ECCbytes=4
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1819kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=156355584
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5 udma6
AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:23:21 +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hmm, I'm running 3 TX2/100 (even with different revisions) without
> big problems here:
>
> 00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
> 00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02)
> 00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 01)

lspci -xxx ?

2004-10-21 20:21:34

by Hans-Peter Jansen

<[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hmm, I'm running 3 TX2/100 (even with different revisions)
> > without big problems here:
> >
> > 00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
> > 20268 (rev 02) 00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise
> > Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02) 00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage
> > controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 01)
>
> lspci -xxx ?

With pleasure. Let me know, if I can provide anything else useful.
BTW, Bart, I suspect James' problem is, that his system is running in
pic mode, while mine is in apic mode.

00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
20268 (rev 02)
00: 5a 10 68 4d 07 00 30 04 02 85 80 01 08 40 00 00
10: 01 ec 00 00 01 e8 00 00 01 e4 00 00 01 e0 00 00
20: 01 dc 00 00 00 c0 ff df 00 00 00 00 5a 10 68 4d
30: 01 00 fe df 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0a 01 04 12
40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60: 01 00 21 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
20268 (rev 02)
00: 5a 10 68 4d 07 00 30 04 02 85 80 01 08 40 00 00
10: 01 c4 00 00 01 c0 00 00 01 bc 00 00 01 b8 00 00
20: 01 b4 00 00 00 80 ff df 00 00 00 00 5a 10 68 4d
30: 01 00 fd df 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 01 04 12
40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60: 01 00 21 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
20268 (rev 01)
00: 5a 10 68 4d 07 00 30 04 01 85 80 01 08 40 00 00
10: 01 b0 00 00 01 ac 00 00 01 a8 00 00 01 a4 00 00
20: 01 a0 00 00 00 40 ff df 00 00 00 00 5a 10 68 4d
30: 01 00 fb df 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 01 04 12
40: 80 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60: 01 00 01 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
90: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

> -
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to [email protected]

by James Stevenson

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> On Thursday 21 October 2004 20:43, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:23:21 +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hmm, I'm running 3 TX2/100 (even with different revisions)
> > > without big problems here:
> > >
> > > 00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
> > > 20268 (rev 02) 00:0a.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise
> > > Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 02) 00:0b.0 Unknown mass storage
> > > controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268 (rev 01)
> >
> > lspci -xxx ?
>
> With pleasure. Let me know, if I can provide anything else useful.
> BTW, Bart, I suspect James' problem is, that his system is running in
> pic mode, while mine is in apic mode.

i dont actually think that this is a problem i was reading an artical from
a website (cant find address now) which was stating that the promise
card's fireware on the PDC20269 was limited by the firmware to 2 cards
and the 3rd did not work in other cases. The author had setup various
other systems in the same way using other promise hardware but slightly
different cards.

I have replaced the 3rd promise card with a highpoint card and everything
is working fine and has been for the last 36 hours.

James

--
Mobile: +44 07779080838