2003-03-13 04:15:40

by Mathias Kretschmer

Subject: support for/detection of new VIA C3 core

Hi,

Are there any plans to supports this new CPU core in 2.4 ?
i.e. it now supports SSE and no longer 3dnow (as reported
by the kernel).

[root@cinemax rc5.d]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : VIA C3 Ezra
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 999.910
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips : 1989.22

2003-03-13 12:16:09

by Alan

Subject: Re: support for/detection of new VIA C3 core

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 04:26, Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to supports this new CPU core in 2.4 ?
> i.e. it now supports SSE and no longer 3dnow (as reported
> by the kernel).

The kernel is reporting correctly, and it reads the data from
the CPU. You have a 1GHz Ezra not a Nemiah

2003-03-13 15:40:55

by Mathias Kretschmer

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 04:26, Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Are there any plans to supports this new CPU core in 2.4 ?
>>i.e. it now supports SSE and no longer 3dnow (as reported
>>by the kernel).
>

> The kernel is reporting correctly, and it reads the data from
> the CPU. You have a 1GHz Ezra not a Nemiah

Arghh! I did ask before I bought it and was being told the CPU
would be a Nemiah...

Anyway, it's fast enough to decode DVD/DivX...

Sorry for the false alarm,

Mathias

2003-03-13 19:08:05

by Dave Jones

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:26:19PM -0500, Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
> Are there any plans to supports this new CPU core in 2.4 ?
> i.e. it now supports SSE and no longer 3dnow (as reported
> by the kernel).

Erm, no. SSE is only in newer model 9+ C3s.
After your Ezra came the Ezra-T, and now Nehemiah.

Dave

2003-03-13 19:18:11

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: 2.5 XFree and nvidia geforce.

Hi,

I am using nvidia drivers for Xwindows under 2.4.

Under 2.5 i would have to use like svga drivers to run it.

What do you think would run better (generally graphics).

2.4+nvidia
or
2.5+some+generic_drivers

Also, why aren't there X drivers for nvidia?

Best Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak

2003-03-13 19:26:01

by Marcel Mol

Subject: Re: 2.5 XFree and nvidia geforce.

You might take a look at

http://www.minion.de/

-Marcel

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:28:56PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using nvidia drivers for Xwindows under 2.4.
>
> Under 2.5 i would have to use like svga drivers to run it.
>
> What do you think would run better (generally graphics).
>
> 2.4+nvidia
> or
> 2.5+some+generic_drivers
>
> Also, why aren't there X drivers for nvidia?
>
> Best Regards,
> Maciej Soltysiak
>
> -

======-------- Marcel J.E. Mol MESA Consulting B.V.
=======--------- ph. +31-(0)6-54724868 P.O. Box 112
=======--------- [email protected] 2630 AC Nootdorp
__==== http://www.mesa.nl ---____U_n_i_x______I_n_t_e_r_n_e_t____ The Netherlands ____
They couldn't think of a number, Linux user 1148 -- counter.li.org
so they gave me a name! -- Rupert Hine -- http://www.ruperthine.com

2003-03-13 21:05:09

by Bongani Hlope

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:28:56 +0100 (CET)
Maciej Soltysiak <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using nvidia drivers for Xwindows under 2.4.
>
> Under 2.5 i would have to use like svga drivers to run it.
>
> What do you think would run better (generally graphics).
>
> 2.4+nvidia
> or
> 2.5+some+generic_drivers
>
> Also, why aren't there X drivers for nvidia?
>
> Best Regards,
> Maciej Soltysiak

If you don't inteand to run 3d applications, then you don't need the
nvidia drivers (both for 2.4 and 2.5), but if you want 3d acceleration,
the you best bet is 2.4 + nvidia

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2003-03-13 21:46:47

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:16:15 +0200, Bongani Hlope said:

> If you don't inteand to run 3d applications, then you don't need the
> nvidia drivers (both for 2.4 and 2.5), but if you want 3d acceleration,
> the you best bet is 2.4 + nvidia

For reasons I don't claim to understand, the nvidia drivers have much
better 2D acceleration as well. And with the patches from http://www.minion.de
they work acceptably under 2.5.64, modulo a few issues:

At least on my Dell laptop (GeForce 440 2Go), the 'GLX' extension will wedge up
the X server (ctl-alt-del still reboots, so the kernel is still there).

Restarting the X server hangs the machine sometimes.

I'm going to take a shot at debugging those two issues now that my office is
remodelled and I have a fighting chance of hooking something to the serial
port for debugging. ;)

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-03-14 19:30:36

by Bruno Ducrot

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:55:54PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:16:15 +0200, Bongani Hlope said:
>
> > If you don't inteand to run 3d applications, then you don't need the
> > nvidia drivers (both for 2.4 and 2.5), but if you want 3d acceleration,
> > the you best bet is 2.4 + nvidia
>
> For reasons I don't claim to understand, the nvidia drivers have much
> better 2D acceleration as well. And with the patches from http://www.minion.de
> they work acceptably under 2.5.64, modulo a few issues:
>
> At least on my Dell laptop (GeForce 440 2Go), the 'GLX' extension will wedge up
> the X server (ctl-alt-del still reboots, so the kernel is still there).
>
> Restarting the X server hangs the machine sometimes.
>
> I'm going to take a shot at debugging those two issues now that my office is
> remodelled and I have a fighting chance of hooking something to the serial
> port for debugging. ;)

One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement
necessary support.

BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.

--
Ducrot Bruno
http://www.poupinou.org Page profaissionelle

2003-03-14 20:40:02

by Maciej Soltysiak

> One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
> that it kill acpi and/or apm.
Hmm, just insmoding the drivers kills apm/acpi ?

> BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.
So i've heard. :)

Regards,
Maciej

2003-03-14 22:33:18

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:40:50 +0100, Ducrot Bruno said:

> One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
> that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
> for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
> drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement

No flames intended - I just have different requirements than you do,
and suspending hasn't been an issue for me, and I've not bothered
trying to get it to work.

I've seen a workaround posted for the nvidia suspend issue - the trick was to
configure a suspend script that apmd/whatever would call, and include
a '/usr/bin/chvt 1' in it. So on the way down, it would change off the
nvidia-controlled VT, and all would be well.

> BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.

Oh, the free driver has "supported" the card for ages. My point was that (a)
the free driver isn't 2-d accelerated as much as the NVidia driver (the 'nv'
free driver can average 10-15% CPU by itself, and the 'nvidia' closed driver
only 1-2% while feeling much quicker), and (b) the NVidia driver "just works"
in finding the video port on the docking station when I'm docked - the 'nv'
free drivers would find the LCD screen fine and not find the docking port
video.

--
Valdis Kletnieks
Computer Systems Senior Engineer

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-03-17 09:36:01

by Bruno Ducrot

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:44:00PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:40:50 +0100, Ducrot Bruno said:
>
> > One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
> > that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
> > for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
> > drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement
>
> No flames intended - I just have different requirements than you do,
> and suspending hasn't been an issue for me, and I've not bothered
> trying to get it to work.
>
> I've seen a workaround posted for the nvidia suspend issue - the trick was to
> configure a suspend script that apmd/whatever would call, and include
> a '/usr/bin/chvt 1' in it. So on the way down, it would change off the
> nvidia-controlled VT, and all would be well.

No. I spoke for a missing function in the binary part (was present
in 15.., but removed in 20.. and 28..) )...

> > BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.
>
> Oh, the free driver has "supported" the card for ages. My point was that (a)
> the free driver isn't 2-d accelerated as much as the NVidia driver (the 'nv'
> free driver can average 10-15% CPU by itself, and the 'nvidia' closed driver
> only 1-2% while feeling much quicker), and (b) the NVidia driver "just works"
> in finding the video port on the docking station when I'm docked - the 'nv'
> free drivers would find the LCD screen fine and not find the docking port
> video.

... and seem that this function is now reintroduced in the lasted
release in the nvidia binary. I guess that more work has to be
done, though, but I consider that my really lastest complain
about the binary driver from nvidia go now to /dev/null.

Ducrot Bruno
http://www.poupinou.org Page profaissionelle
http://toto.tu-me-saoules.com Haume page

2003-03-17 09:49:07

by Bruno Ducrot

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:50:49PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> > One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
> > that it kill acpi and/or apm.
> Hmm, just insmoding the drivers kills apm/acpi ?
>
> > BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.
> So i've heard. :)

By 'killing apm/acpi', I meant that the pm callback in the source
part of the kernel module call a function, certainly for saving/restoring
the state of the device, in the binary part.
But this function is not present in the binary part of the driver.

Actually, that was the case with 'older' release of the driver, but
seems to be reintroduced in the lastest one.