2003-02-01 07:03:06

by Chris Bradford

Subject: Current Status of Module Utilities for 2.5 Kernels?

I'm using Slackware 9.0 beta as my distribution, which uses gcc 3.2.1 as
its C compiler. My problems started when I noted that kernel 2.4 is not
compilable by gcc v3.x. I upgraded to linux 2.5.59, which does work with
gcc 3.x. My upgrade produced another hitch, I was unable to use modules.
My video card, which uses an nVidia TNT2, is of limited usefulness without
the ability to load modules.

Is there a work-around for my problems?

2003-02-01 08:04:32

by Tomas Szepe

> [[email protected]]
>
> I'm using Slackware 9.0 beta as my distribution, which uses gcc 3.2.1 as
> its C compiler. My problems started when I noted that kernel 2.4 is not
> compilable by gcc v3.x.

gcc-3.2.1 compiles 2.4.20 (at least) just fine.
I can confirm that standard sw90 development packages are ok.

> gcc 3.x. My upgrade produced another hitch, I was unable to use modules.
> My video card, which uses an nVidia TNT2, is of limited usefulness without
> the ability to load modules.
>
> Is there a work-around for my problems?

Yes, you need to read the archives prior to posting a question
to see if another 50 people haven't posted the same one before.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>

2003-02-01 10:51:48

by Chris Bradford

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:

> > [[email protected]]
> >
> > I'm using Slackware 9.0 beta as my distribution, which uses gcc 3.2.1 as
> > its C compiler. My problems started when I noted that kernel 2.4 is not
> > compilable by gcc v3.x.
>
> gcc-3.2.1 compiles 2.4.20 (at least) just fine.
> I can confirm that standard sw90 development packages are ok.

Yes, I finally was able to get 2.4.20 to build for me. Turns out that I
had to massage the build configuration a little bit first. Reminds me of
a few fernels that wouldn't build *unless* SMP was enabled in the config.
SMP on a single CPU machine? Yes, I like wasting 400K by putting in a
feature that I won't actually be using.
> > gcc 3.x. My upgrade produced another hitch, I was unable to use modules.
> > My video card, which uses an nVidia TNT2, is of limited usefulness without
> > the ability to load modules.
> >
> > Is there a work-around for my problems?
>
> Yes, you need to read the archives prior to posting a question
> to see if another 50 people haven't posted the same one before.

Ah, the archives. Would these be the same archives that are both
incomplete, and scattered across three, maybe more, locations? Kernel
Traffic is the best of the lot, and I had problems searching it. I do a
simple search for 'modutils' and it spits out 350+K of stuff. Stuff that
has absolutely nothing to do with the module utilities.

2003-02-01 11:00:46

by Tomas Szepe

> [[email protected]]
> >
> > Yes, you need to read the archives prior to posting a question
> > to see if another 50 people haven't posted the same one before.
> >
> Ah, the archives. Would these be the same archives that are both
> incomplete, and scattered across three, maybe more, locations? Kernel
> Traffic is the best of the lot, and I had problems searching it. I do a
> simple search for 'modutils' and it spits out 350+K of stuff. Stuff that
> has absolutely nothing to do with the module utilities.

And now you're looking even more silly, because instead of saying
something like "ok, thanks," you start babbling absolute nonsense
about archives being incomplete and scattered.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>

2003-02-01 16:18:50

by Alex Goddard

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Chris Bradford wrote:

> I'm using Slackware 9.0 beta as my distribution, which uses gcc 3.2.1 as
> its C compiler. My problems started when I noted that kernel 2.4 is not
> compilable by gcc v3.x. I upgraded to linux 2.5.59, which does work with
> gcc 3.x. My upgrade produced another hitch, I was unable to use modules.
> My video card, which uses an nVidia TNT2, is of limited usefulness without
> the ability to load modules.
>
> Is there a work-around for my problems?

A quick google, or look around an lkml archive would net you this handy
site: http://www.minion.de

--
Alex Goddard
[email protected]