2003-07-11 20:15:56

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Linux 2.4.22-pre5

Hi,

Here goes -pre5.

It fixes a deadlock introduced by the IO fairness changes, fixes ACPI on
IBM's x440, has an uptodated cciss driver, a new ethernet driver for IBM
PPC's 4xx, amongst other fixes.

Please help testing.

Summary of changes from v2.4.22-pre4 to v2.4.22-pre5

<jcchen:icplus.com.tw>:
o [netdrvr sundance] increase eeprom read timeout

<mike.miller:hp.com>:
o cciss: change names and correct subsystem device ID for U320
o cciss: PCI BAR fix
o cciss: Fix potential overrun
o cciss: update version
o cciss: First part of PCI changes/driver cleanup
o cciss: Second part of PCI changes/driver cleanup

Andi Kleen:
o Fix compiling on x86-64

Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
o radeonfb 0.1.8 + my stuffs

Chris Mason:
o Fix deadlocks in IO scheduler changes

David Woodhouse:
o Backport vsprintf/scanf fixes from 2.5.74

Geert Uytterhoeven:
o Fix adbhid m68k screwup

J. A. Magallon:
o hfsplus: group Apple FS's and help text

John Stultz:
o Fix boot crash of x440's in full acpi mode
o Cleanup x440 acpi fix

Marcelo Tosatti:
o Changed EXTRAVERSION to -pre5

Petr Vandrovec:
o Fix matroxfb on PPC64

Tom Rini:
o An ethernet driver for the IBM PPC 4xx series of machines

2003-07-11 20:42:30

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.22-pre5

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Is there still any chance for the NFS O_DIRECT support to make it?

Yes.

I guess the best way of doing so would be adding ->direct_io2 and
KERNEL24_HAS_ODIRECT_2 define.

Correct?

2003-07-11 20:55:33

by Trond Myklebust

>> Is there still any chance for the NFS O_DIRECT support to make
>> it?

> I guess the best way of doing so would be adding ->direct_io2
> and KERNEL24_HAS_ODIRECT_2 define.

That is what the last patch I sent you does (also sent to l-k). Should
I resend?

Cheers,
Trond

2003-07-11 21:04:14

by Jeff Garzik

Trond Myklebust wrote:

> >> Is there still any chance for the NFS O_DIRECT support to make
> >> it?
>
> > I guess the best way of doing so would be adding ->direct_io2
> > and KERNEL24_HAS_ODIRECT_2 define.

IMO, yes.

> That is what the last patch I sent you does (also sent to l-k). Should
> I resend?

Sounds like it :)

Christoph, opinion?

Jeff

2003-07-11 21:44:00

by Marcelo Tosatti

> >> Is there still any chance for the NFS O_DIRECT support to make
> >> it?
>
> > I guess the best way of doing so would be adding ->direct_io2
> > and KERNEL24_HAS_ODIRECT_2 define.
>
> That is what the last patch I sent you does (also sent to l-k). Should

No, no need to resend. I have it.

I released -pre5 so quickly because of the IO hang fix, which is pretty
important. (Christoph: your vmap patch will go on -pre6 too once I read
it).

Well, Jeff, Christoph, do you have any comments on Trond's new
O_DIRECT patch?

I haven't looked at it closely, yet.

2003-07-11 21:54:31

by Jeff Garzik

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Well, Jeff, Christoph, do you have any comments on Trond's new
> O_DIRECT patch?

I looked at it, and it looked ok to me. Basically I was wondering was
Christoph thought at this point...

Jeff

2003-07-11 22:09:15

by Richard A Nelson

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Here goes -pre5.
[...]
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
> o radeonfb 0.1.8 + my stuffs

radeonfb.c:168:28: linux/radeonfb.h: No such file or directory

--
Rick Nelson
I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a

2003-07-11 22:25:56

by Marcelo Tosatti

Ben?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Richard A Nelson wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > Here goes -pre5.
> [...]
> >
> > Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
> > o radeonfb 0.1.8 + my stuffs
>
> radeonfb.c:168:28: linux/radeonfb.h: No such file or directory
>
> --
> Rick Nelson
> I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a
> fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a
> high grade for such a design :-)
> (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

2003-07-12 06:12:37

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 06:56:16PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Well, Jeff, Christoph, do you have any comments on Trond's new
> O_DIRECT patch?

Patch looks fine. I don't really like the directfileio name, but
hey, this cludge is so ugly that it doesn't really matter anymore..

2003-07-12 06:42:06

by Trond Myklebust

> Patch looks fine. I don't really like the directfileio name,

Feel free to suggest a better one. I chose it 'cos I hate the idea of
version numbers on function names (i.e. direct_iO2).

> but hey, this cludge is so ugly that it doesn't really matter
> anymore..

Agreed...

cheers,
Trond

2003-07-14 16:18:09

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 00:38, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Ben?

bk fuckage on my side, here it is

#ifndef __LINUX_RADEONFB_H__
#define __LINUX_RADEONFB_H__