2007-08-23 08:10:50

by shaneed cm

Subject: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

Hi,
This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
suggest me some ideas.

2007-08-23 12:00:29

by Clemens Koller

shaneed cm schrieb:
> Hi,
> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
> I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
> in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
> replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
> suggest me some ideas.

Just for an example:
Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
a kernel scheduler to support it.

Clemens Koller
__________________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Stra?e 45/1
Linhof Werksgel?nde
D-81379 M?nchen
Tel.089-741518-50
Fax 089-741518-19
http://www.anagramm-technology.com

2007-08-23 12:11:31

by Robert P. J. Day

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:

> shaneed cm schrieb:
> > Hi,
> > This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
> > I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
> > a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
> > decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
> > memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
> > in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
> > replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
> > suggest me some ideas.
>
> Just for an example:
> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
> a kernel scheduler to support it.

i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
suggestions for projects. the eventual choice of project should be
based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
should be doing.

in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*. what
shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him. IMHO, he
should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
problem. that's just part of the academic process.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

by Clemens Koller

Robert P. J. Day schrieb:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>> I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects.

I don't care so much. The answer should have been a hint that
just some minutes ago, we had a thread on this list about
Solid State Flash disks... it could be interesting to
spend some brain cells in that area - just for an example
...and there are so many.

> the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.

Propably he doesn't know yet what he wants?

> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*. what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him. IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem. that's just part of the academic process.

Asking people with more experience what's needed is in my point
of view also a reasonably academic process to make progress in the
right direction. IMHO that's one of the main reasons why
open projects work.

Clemens Koller
__________________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Stra?e 45/1
Linhof Werksgel?nde
D-81379 M?nchen
Tel.089-741518-50
Fax 089-741518-19
http://www.anagramm-technology.com

2007-08-23 15:55:20

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>> I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>>
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects. the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.
>
> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*. what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him. IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem. that's just part of the academic process.
>
> rday
> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Of course it is appropriate. Day's response is very strange
indeed. As part of a student's research, he should ask questions
of people who are likely to know some answers about his query.

In fact, if students for which I am an adviser didn't ask such
questions, and simply selected a project, I would question
the validity of the project. Projects are not selected in
a vacuum. Just like "real world" industry, there must be
a need (read market) for the project (read product).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.22.1 on an i686 machine (5588.30 BogoMips).
My book : http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2007-08-23 16:14:18

by Robert P. J. Day

i really don't want to turn this into a thread that never dies, so let
me just clarify what i'm talking about:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving
> > anyone suggestions for projects. the eventual choice of project
> > should be based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people
> > tell him he should be doing.

> > in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school
> > project involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.
> > what shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.
> > IMHO, he should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic
> > is *his* problem. that's just part of the academic process.
> >
> Of course it is appropriate. Day's response is very strange indeed.
> As part of a student's research, he should ask questions of people
> who are likely to know some answers about his query.
>
> In fact, if students for which I am an adviser didn't ask such
> questions, and simply selected a project, I would question the
> validity of the project. Projects are not selected in a vacuum. Just
> like "real world" industry, there must be a need (read market) for
> the project (read product).

let's make sure we're not talking at cross-purposes here, ok? i see
nothing wrong with someone asking for suggestions for projects in a
particular area, such as, "hey, i'm particularly interested in the
efficiency of R/W operations to flash-based filesystems, can someone
suggest a project in that area that would ultimately be useful to the
kernel community in general?" that's perfect, no problem there, i
think that's a *great* idea.

however, what the OP seemed to be asking was for suggestions for a
project with a wide-open playing field, with no restrictions whatever,
and that's what i find inappropriate. someone asking for that kind of
help should at least have put in the effort to narrow the field of
interest. as i said, that's part of the academic process -- putting
in the time to, minimally, figure out what field you're interested in.
once you do that, then you're good to go.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

by Bill Davidsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>> I am Computer Science Engineering final year student. We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters. Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism. As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects. the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.

He shouldn't do research to find out what would be useful, just
something of interest to him? He listed some areas in which he has an
interest, he got a suggestion on where he look for a project, not a
project description handed to him.

> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*. what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him. IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem. that's just part of the academic process.

I agree that "pick something interesting, useful or not" is a part of
the academic process, but I would never imply that it was a desirable
thing. Asking for areas where work would be useful seems like valid
research to me.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>