2006-09-28 16:59:31

by Michael Obster

Subject: OT: linux-kernel list and greylisting

Hi,

anyone here who has experience with greylisting and the linux-kernel
list? I want to configure greylisting on my server but I don't know if
this setting is compatible with the list here.
What I want to avoid is a massive bounce because of that! So please give
me feedback, if greylisting is a problem for the list.

Cheers,
Michael Obster

2006-09-28 17:44:49

by Mariusz Kozlowski

Subject: Re: OT: linux-kernel list and greylisting

Hi,

> anyone here who has experience with greylisting and the linux-kernel
> list? I want to configure greylisting on my server but I don't know if
> this setting is compatible with the list here.
> What I want to avoid is a massive bounce because of that! So please give
> me feedback, if greylisting is a problem for the list.

Greylisting relayed traffic is useless. Greyslisting is also expensive (delays
and bounces) so probably that's not what you want. Anyway if you know what
you are doing ;-) take a look at this:

http://aisk.tuxland.pl/os-fp-vs-spam-src.html

OS based greylisting is a compromise. Gives great results with minimal costs
to most of incoming traffic.

Regards,

Mariusz Kozlowski

2006-10-02 13:41:15

by Gerhard Mack

If you absolutely need to graylist (I have my doubts about it's
effectiveness) then whitelist vger.kernel.org.

Gerhard

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:46:11 +0200
> From: Mariusz Kozlowski <[email protected]>
> To: Michael Obster <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: OT: linux-kernel list and greylisting
>
> Hi,
>
> > anyone here who has experience with greylisting and the linux-kernel
> > list? I want to configure greylisting on my server but I don't know if
> > this setting is compatible with the list here.
> > What I want to avoid is a massive bounce because of that! So please give
> > me feedback, if greylisting is a problem for the list.
>
> Greylisting relayed traffic is useless. Greyslisting is also expensive (delays
> and bounces) so probably that's not what you want. Anyway if you know what
> you are doing ;-) take a look at this:
>
> http://aisk.tuxland.pl/os-fp-vs-spam-src.html
>
> OS based greylisting is a compromise. Gives great results with minimal costs
> to most of incoming traffic.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mariusz Kozlowski
> -

Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2006-10-08 10:00:45

by David Woodhouse

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 09:41 -0400, Gerhard Mack wrote:
> If you absolutely need to graylist (I have my doubts about it's
> effectiveness) then whitelist vger.kernel.org.

Any half-sensible greylisting implementation would be exempting
vger.kernel.org as soon as it's observed to retry its _first_ mail,
anyway.

Greylisting done _stupidly_, where it keeps delaying mail from a given
host even after it's known to queue and retry, would be a problem. But
done sensibly it's fine.

--
dwmw2