2006-09-17 19:41:18

by Pavel Machek

Subject: 8 hours of battery life on thinkpad x60

hi!

I did a presentation about getting 8 hours of runtime out of common
notebooks. You can get it at
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/swsusp/8hours.odp . Biggest
offenders are USB (being worked on) and SATA (controller eats 1W --
more than spinning disk, strange!).
Pavel

by Michal Piotrowski

Subject: Re: 8 hours of battery life on thinkpad x60

Hi Pavel,

On 17/09/06, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi!
>
> I did a presentation about getting 8 hours of runtime out of common
> notebooks. You can get it at
> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/swsusp/8hours.odp . Biggest
> offenders are USB (being worked on) and SATA (controller eats 1W --
> more than spinning disk, strange!).

Thanks for a great presentation!

Bug -> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/crap/bug.jpg

> Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

Regards,
Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski
LTG - Linux Testers Group

2006-09-17 20:57:42

by Adam Henley

> Bug -> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/crap/bug.jpg

And when I open it, *I* appear as co-author!
I never knew... :o)

2006-09-17 21:00:56

by Pavel Machek

On Sun 2006-09-17 20:57:40, Adam Henley wrote:
> >Bug -> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/crap/bug.jpg
> >

> And when I open it, *I* appear as co-author!
> I never knew... :o)

Ok, someone fix openoffice :-). I'd even call it a security problem in
openoffice....

Pavel

by Theodore Ts'o

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:00:59PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Sun 2006-09-17 20:57:40, Adam Henley wrote:
> > >Bug -> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/crap/bug.jpg
> > >

> > And when I open it, *I* appear as co-author!
> > I never knew... :o)
>
> Ok, someone fix openoffice :-). I'd even call it a security problem in
> openoffice....

I'm not sure it's a bug. A mis-designed feature, certainly, combined
with use of said mis-designed feature in the SuSE template. What
happened is that the template is using the "insert <author> field"
feature. (Access by Insert->Fields->Author from the menubar). This
inserts the author, if present, into the text box. The SuSE template
uses this in the title slide as well as in each slide's master
template.

The problem is that the Author information is copied from each
OpenOffice's user data (set by Tools->Options->Openoffice.org->User data).
It is **not** a property of the document. This is the mis-design
feature (although it's documented as working this way, so it's
technically not a bug :-), which makes the feature useless. So no
sane template or presentation file should use it, since it will look one
way one user's laptop/workstation, but when the presentation is shown
on someone else's system, it won't look the same. Unfortunately, SuSE's
template uses this mis feature, and then I suspect Pavel has no user
information set, but since he sees other SuSE information with the author
information filled out a certain way, he put his name where it would
"normally" appear manually, and then whoever does has user information
in their Open Office shows up as a co-author.

Recomendations: Tell the Open Office developers that the <author>
information should be saved in the presentation, and only to use the
user-specific openoffice.org information as a default when creating a
documetnation from scratch. Tell whoever manages the SuSE template to
drop the use of the automatic author feature, as it is dangerous and
doesn't do what people would expect. All people should check to see
if they are using the automatic embedded Author field, and remove it
from their presentations and replace it with their own name, manually
inserted.

- Ted

P.S. The only time I can think of where it might make sense to use
the automatic author information from the user data would be if it is
a marketing slide sales deck, where you want to fill in the name of
the salesperson automatically as if they were the author. So perhaps
that should be retained as a feature, but there are *so* many other
places where this is not the right answer, so it probably shouldn't be
the default.

2006-09-18 07:45:22

by Jan Engelhardt

>I did a presentation about getting 8 hours of runtime out of common
>notebooks. You can get it at

So if I use an uncommon notebook with an uncommon battery (SONY
PCGA-BP3U - 59070 mWh - 7 hours average) how much more am I supposed to
get?

# cd /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1
# cat info
present: yes
design capacity: 59940 mWh
last full capacity: 59070 mWh
battery technology: non-rechargeable
design voltage: 11100 mV
design capacity warning: 0 mWh
design capacity low: 120 mWh
capacity granularity 1: 0 mWh
capacity granularity 2: 10 mWh
model number:
serial number:
battery type: LION
OEM info: Sony Corp.
# cat state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: discharging
present rate: 8029 mW (currently WLAN + Webradio)
remaining capacity: 46320 mWh
present voltage: 11826 mV

Jan Engelhardt

by Pavel Machek

On Mon 2006-09-18 09:44:54, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >I did a presentation about getting 8 hours of runtime out of common
> >notebooks. You can get it at
>
> So if I use an uncommon notebook with an uncommon battery (SONY
> PCGA-BP3U - 59070 mWh - 7 hours average) how much more am I supposed to
> get?

I can't tell, without seeing your machine.

> present rate: 8029 mW (currently WLAN + Webradio)

Turn down wlan and you should be able to have one more hour... Go
after drivers, and find the ones that do not power their hardware down
properly and you can get another hour or so...
Pavel

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > And when I open it, *I* appear as co-author!
> > > I never knew... :o)
> >
> > Ok, someone fix openoffice :-). I'd even call it a security problem in
> > openoffice....
>
> I'm not sure it's a bug. A mis-designed feature, certainly, combined
> with use of said mis-designed feature in the SuSE template. What
> happened is that the template is using the "insert <author> field"
> feature. (Access by Insert->Fields->Author from the menubar). This
> inserts the author, if present, into the text box. The SuSE template
> uses this in the title slide as well as in each slide's master
> template.

Right on the spot, and fixed in my local copy.

> Recomendations: Tell the Open Office developers that the <author>
> information should be saved in the presentation, and only to use the

I guess I'll create nice demo for them ;-).

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.