2009-10-07 21:16:13

by Mike Lothian

Subject: Samsung Backlight Patch

Hi

I was hoping the following patch could be included in 2.6.32 so it
would hopefully end up in the next round of distros

It adds backlight support for some Samsung laptops

Regards

Mike

Attachments:
Backlight.patch (15.40 kB)

2009-10-07 21:22:33

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: Samsung Backlight Patch

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:14:37PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was hoping the following patch could be included in 2.6.32 so it
> would hopefully end up in the next round of distros
>
> It adds backlight support for some Samsung laptops

You seem to have lost the original authorship of this patch, and not
included your signed-off-by for it.

Which means it can't be applied :(

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-10-07 21:32:44

by Mike Lothian

2009/10/7 Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:14:37PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was hoping the following patch could be included in 2.6.32 so it
>> would hopefully end up in the next round of distros
>>
>> It adds backlight support for some Samsung laptops
>
> You seem to have lost the original authorship of this patch, and not
> included your signed-off-by for it.
>
> Which means it can't be applied :(
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
<[email protected]>"); at the bottom

I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work

Who should sign it off?

I think there's a few other models that can be added to this patch too

Regards

Mike

2009-10-07 23:01:44

by Greg KH

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:31:44PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
> 2009/10/7 Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> > On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:14:37PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I was hoping the following patch could be included in 2.6.32 so it
> >> would hopefully end up in the next round of distros
> >>
> >> It adds backlight support for some Samsung laptops
> >
> > You seem to have lost the original authorship of this patch, and not
> > included your signed-off-by for it.
> >
> > Which means it can't be applied :(
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> >

> It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <[email protected]>"); at the bottom
>
> I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work

I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>

as the first line.

> Who should sign it off?

As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
would like my authorship to remain. Someone needs to sign off on it...

> I think there's a few other models that can be added to this patch too

I do too.

Note, if you look at the git tree I have for the driver, it is totally
rewritten to not use a structure, and instead, use offsets properly.
But it removed support for your laptop, which is not what you probably
want :(

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-10-07 23:33:25

by Mike Lothian

2009/10/7 Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:31:44PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:

>> > You seem to have lost the original authorship of this patch, and not
>> > included your signed-off-by for it.
>> >
>> > Which means it can't be applied :(
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > greg k-h
>> >

>> It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
>> <[email protected]>"); at the bottom
>>
>> I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work
>
> I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
> ? ? ? ?From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>
>
> as the first line.
>
>> Who should sign it off?
>
> As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
> would like my authorship to remain. ?Someone needs to sign off on it...
>
>> I think there's a few other models that can be added to this patch too
>
> I do too.
>
> Note, if you look at the git tree I have for the driver, it is totally
> rewritten to not use a structure, and instead, use offsets properly.
> But it removed support for your laptop, which is not what you probably
> want :(
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

What git tree?

2009-10-07 23:39:56

by Greg KH

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:31:51AM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
> 2009/10/7 Greg KH <[email protected]>:

> >> It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
> >> <[email protected]>"); at the bottom
> >>
> >> I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work
> >
> > I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
> > ? ? ? ?From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>
> >
> > as the first line.
> >
> >> Who should sign it off?
> >
> > As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
> > would like my authorship to remain. ?Someone needs to sign off on it...
> >
> >> I think there's a few other models that can be added to this patch too
> >
> > I do too.
> >
> > Note, if you look at the git tree I have for the driver, it is totally
> > rewritten to not use a structure, and instead, use offsets properly.
> > But it removed support for your laptop, which is not what you probably
> > want :(
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> >

> What git tree?

http://github.com/gregkh/samsung-backlight

Look at the "laptop" branch for the latest stuff.

Also supports rfkill and "silent" mode for the N130/N128 machines.

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-10-07 23:53:48

by Mike Lothian

2009/10/8 Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:31:51AM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:

>> > I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
>> > ? ? ? ?From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>
>> >
>> > as the first line.

>> > As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
>> > would like my authorship to remain. ?Someone needs to sign off on it...

>> > I do too.
>> >
>> > Note, if you look at the git tree I have for the driver, it is totally
>> > rewritten to not use a structure, and instead, use offsets properly.
>> > But it removed support for your laptop, which is not what you probably
>> > want :(
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > greg k-h
>> >

>> What git tree?
>
> http://github.com/gregkh/samsung-backlight
>
> Look at the "laptop" branch for the latest stuff.
>
> Also supports rfkill and "silent" mode for the N130/N128 machines.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Tomorrow I'll try this updated patch with my laptop added and see if it works

2009-10-08 02:53:34

by Greg KH

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:52:50AM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:

> Tomorrow I'll try this updated patch with my laptop added and see if it works

Unless you have a custom BIOS from Samsung, I can almost guarantee it
will not, sorry.

greg k-h

2009-10-11 09:04:50

by Pavel Machek

On Wed 2009-10-07 15:58:28, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:31:44PM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:

> > > You seem to have lost the original authorship of this patch, and not
> > > included your signed-off-by for it.
> > >
> > > Which means it can't be applied :(
> > It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > <[email protected]>"); at the bottom
> >
> > I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work
>
> I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
> From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>
>
> as the first line.
>
> > Who should sign it off?
>
> As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
> would like my authorship to remain. Someone needs to sign off on it...

That's quite crazy, no?

DCO, a). You say you created the patch. Do you want to say you did
not have right to submit it? Or do you want to say it is not under
GPL?

What is going on?
Pavel

by Greg KH

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:04:03AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2009-10-07 15:58:28, Greg KH wrote:

> > > It definitely has +MODULE_AUTHOR("Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > > <[email protected]>"); at the bottom
> > >
> > > I certainly wasn't trying to steal credit for your work
> >
> > I mean on the patch, when submitting it, you need a:
> > From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>
> >
> > as the first line.
> >
> > > Who should sign it off?
> >
> > As I stated before, I can not sign off on this patch anymore, but I
> > would like my authorship to remain. Someone needs to sign off on it...
>
> That's quite crazy, no?

Yes it is.

> DCO, a). You say you created the patch. Do you want to say you did
> not have right to submit it? Or do you want to say it is not under
> GPL?
>
> What is going on?

I can not say, sorry.

greg k-h