2001-11-26 13:47:53

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Linux 2.4.16

Hi,

Due to the corruption problems on 2.4.15, I'm releasing 2.4.16.

Changelog:

final:

- Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)

pre1:
- Correctly sync inodes in iput() (Alexander Viro)
- Make pagecache readahead size tunable via /proc (was in -ac tree)
- Fix PPC kernel compilation problems (Paul Mackerras)

2001-11-26 14:32:28

by Samuel Maftoul

Subject: Firewire hotplug

I have some Firewire disk at work, and need to integrate this to the
standart local distribution ( Some scientist come in the institute I'm
working in , do their experiences, and must retrieve about 50Gigs, fast
,easly ... back to their home institute).

I would like to know the actual Firewire, Hotplug ... status.

Can someone help me with it ? Give me some pointers ?
Sam

2001-11-26 16:31:30

by William Stearns

Subject: Re: Firewire hotplug

Good day, Samuel,

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Samuel Maftoul wrote:

> I have some Firewire disk at work, and need to integrate this to the
> standart local distribution ( Some scientist come in the institute I'm
> working in , do their experiences, and must retrieve about 50Gigs, fast
> ,easly ... back to their home institute).
>
> I would like to know the actual Firewire, Hotplug ... status.
>
> Can someone help me with it ? Give me some pointers ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux1394
Cheers,
- Bill

"'The Linux port resulted from a strong user demand', said John
Lenyo, director of marketing at Model Technology. 'To gauge general
demand, we mentioned it casually in our quarterly newsletter,' he said.
'You would have thought we were giving away free money. About two days
after that newsletter went out we were bombarded with requests from
customers.'"
William Stearns ([email protected]). Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns
LinuxMonth; articles for Linux Enthusiasts! http://www.linuxmonth.com

by Dominik Kubla

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.16

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Due to the corruption problems on 2.4.15, I'm releasing 2.4.16.

Excellent!

Dominik Kubla
--
ScioByte GmbH Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2 55127 Mainz (Germany)
Phone: +49 700 724 629 83 Fax: +49 700 724 629 84

2001-11-27 02:36:30

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> final:
> - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)

Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

If dolphins are so smart, why did Flipper work for television?

2001-11-27 02:44:31

by Jeff Garzik

Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >
> > final:
> > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
>
> Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?

No. There is absolutely no reason not to fix this oops.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

2001-11-27 02:57:33

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:44:04PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > >
> > > final:
> > > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
> >
> > Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?
>
> No. There is absolutely no reason not to fix this oops.

I wasn't refering to 8139 driver, but the kernel release policy.

Well, there was another thread on LKML which discusses this issue in detail.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

2001-11-27 07:52:35

by Rik van Riel

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >
> > final:
> > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
>
> Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?

That's basically what happened. This 8139too fix is
ONE LINE, in a self-contained piece of code.

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 05:51:59AM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > >
> > > final:
> > > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
> >
> > Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?
>
> That's basically what happened. This 8139too fix is
> ONE LINE, in a self-contained piece of code.

It is still not okey to include even _small_ changes, because it is hard to
define what small is. Although we are sure that is is going to break,
Murphey's laws may get in ...;)

So better have a _policy_ of not doing so.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

If you've done six impossible things before breakfast, why not round it
off with dinner at Milliway's, the restaurant at the end of the universe?
-- Douglas Adams, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

2001-11-27 08:09:45

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Anuradha Ratnaweera <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> It is still not okey to include even _small_ changes, because it is hard to
> define what small is. Although we are sure that is is going to break,
> Murphey's laws may get in ...;)
>
> So better have a _policy_ of not doing so.

Sorry, but you have just crossed the line of what is reasonable to
demand of other people. If you don't trust the maintainers and want
to maintain such a policy, fork the kernel and start maintaining it
yourself.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2001-11-27 08:26:45

by Andreas Jaeger

Anuradha Ratnaweera <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 05:51:59AM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

>> > Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?
>>
>> That's basically what happened. This 8139too fix is
>> ONE LINE, in a self-contained piece of code.
>
> It is still not okey to include even _small_ changes, because it is hard to
> define what small is. Although we are sure that is is going to break,
> Murphey's laws may get in ...;)

It's Marcelo deciding what it's ok and what not. He's the one
responsible for it. If you like to give him a friendly advise - fine
with me but I don't think you've got the right to *define* what's ok
and what not for Marcelo.

I've got the impression from these threads about maintaince on lkml
that a number of people try to force something on Marcelo without
giving him a chance to find his own way of doing it. I trust Marcelo
that he'll do the right thing.

Could we get back to coding and testing?

Andreas

P.S. I trimmed the CC list to only include lkml.
--
Andreas Jaeger
SuSE Labs [email protected]

2001-11-27 08:49:05

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 09:26:20AM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Anuradha Ratnaweera <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > It is still not okey to include even _small_ changes, because it is hard to
> > define what small is. Although we are sure that is is going to break,
> > Murphey's laws may get in ...;)
>
> It's Marcelo deciding what it's ok and what not.

I wrote about what is ok to _me_...;) There is no such thing called an
absolute "ok".

> I've got the impression from these threads about maintaince on lkml that a
> number of people try to force something on Marcelo without giving him a
> chance to find his own way of doing it. I trust Marcelo that he'll do the
> right thing.

So do I, and probably many others who have posted on this topic.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.
-- Oscar Wilde

2001-11-27 09:53:55

by Alan

> > final:
> > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
>
> Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?

When the patch is totally obvious and there is a need to get a release out -
not really.

2001-11-27 09:59:55

by Helge Hafting

Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:44:04PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> > > Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?
> >
> > No. There is absolutely no reason not to fix this oops.
>
> I wasn't refering to 8139 driver, but the kernel release policy.

A "policy" is a simplification that isn't needed.

This fix could trivially be proved not to make things worse, so
no reason at all to omit it. Policies, rules-of-thumb etc.
is for management and others without detail knowledge.
Those who know better shouldn't be limited by such rules.
And they aren't. :-)

Of course it is possible to write down a detailed policy
that even expert coders could agree to - but why bother?
You wouldn't get it into a few lines...

Helge Hafting

2001-11-28 14:56:05

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >
> > final:
> > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
>
> Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?

I don't see why: the 8139 fix has been tested and it _fixes_ and oops: Its
not an enhancement.

2001-11-29 02:45:37

by Anuradha Ratnaweera

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:38:23AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:30:08AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > >
> > > final:
> > > - Fix 8139too oops (Philipp Matthias Hahn)
> >
> > Won't that be a good idea to keep the -final the same as the last -pre?
>
> I don't see why: the 8139 fix has been tested and it _fixes_ and oops: Its
> not an enhancement.

Seen, believed and agreed (who cares if I don't ...;))

Thanks for all who replied to my postings on this issue on and off the list.

Some of my postings may not have meant what I really wanted to mean, but those
were my humble openion towards a more stable (huh, to increase the value of
infinity ...;)) kernel. Just few cents, though.

Cheers,

Anruadha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.16)

#define FALSE 0 /* This is the naked Truth */
#define TRUE 1 /* and this is the Light */
-- mailto.c

2001-11-29 03:08:39

by Rik van Riel

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> Just few cents, though.

If everybody contributing their few cents would pay up,
we kernel hackers would be rich by now ;)

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl

by Mike Fedyk

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:08:02AM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
>
> > Just few cents, though.
>
> If everybody contributing their few cents would pay up,
> we kernel hackers would be rich by now ;)
>
> Rik

Hey, there's always paypal ;)

2001-11-29 12:39:38

by Horst H. von Brand

Rik van Riel <[email protected]> said:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
>
> > Just few cents, though.
>
> If everybody contributing their few cents would pay up,
> we kernel hackers would be rich by now ;)

I doubt it. There are way too many of them around for this to work out ;->

by Rik van Riel

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Rik van Riel <[email protected]> said:
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> > > Just few cents, though.
> >
> > If everybody contributing their few cents would pay up,
> > we kernel hackers would be rich by now ;)
>
> I doubt it. There are way too many of them around for this to work out ;->

Yeah, but look at the opinion vs. contribution ratio ;)

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl