2004-03-08 00:12:11

by John Covici

Subject: shuttle an50r Motherboard and Linux

Hi. I have had a couple of problems trying to get this Motherboard
to work correctly under Linux.

The Ethernet 10/100 is supposed to be an RC82540m, but the e100
module does not recognize it. If you do an lspci it doesn't say
Intel at all, but just Nvidia and Shuttle. Am I doing something
wrong, or is there a better driver in 2.6 than 2.4 or what?

Also, I am using the amd74xx driver for the chip set, but it does not
seem to activate dma or announce udma and a number as the via one
does -- is this the correct driver?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

--
John Covici
[email protected]

Subject: Re: shuttle an50r Motherboard and Linux

Hi,

On Monday 08 of March 2004 01:11, John Covici wrote:
> Hi. I have had a couple of problems trying to get this Motherboard
> to work correctly under Linux.
>
> The Ethernet 10/100 is supposed to be an RC82540m, but the e100
> module does not recognize it. If you do an lspci it doesn't say
> Intel at all, but just Nvidia and Shuttle. Am I doing something
> wrong, or is there a better driver in 2.6 than 2.4 or what?
>
> Also, I am using the amd74xx driver for the chip set, but it does not
> seem to activate dma or announce udma and a number as the via one
> does -- is this the correct driver?

What kernel version(s) are you using?
What are the boot messages ('dmesg' command output)?
What is the output of 'lspci' command?

Regards,
Bartlomiej

2004-03-08 15:13:19

by John Covici

OK, here are the relevant parts of the lspci -v -- I have been using
2.4.22, but if it will make a difference I will try newer ones.

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 Host Bridge (rev a4)
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device a550
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [44] #08 [0180]
Capabilities: [c0] AGP version 3.0

00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 LPC Bridge (rev a6)
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device a550
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0

00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce3 SMBus (rev a4)
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device a550
Flags: 66Mhz, fast devsel, IRQ 5
I/O ports at 4c00 [size=64]
I/O ports at 4c40 [size=64]
00:05.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 Ethernet (rev a5)
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device a550
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at d000 [size=8]

on Monday 03/08/2004 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz([email protected]) wrote

--
John Covici
[email protected]

On Monday 08 of March 2004 16:13, John covici wrote:
> OK, here are the relevant parts of the lspci -v -- I have been using

IDE interface is missed.

> 2.4.22, but if it will make a difference I will try newer ones.

2.4.x needs update of amd74xx.c driver. 2.6.x should be okay.

Bartlomiej

2004-03-08 15:38:02

by John Covici

Sorry, here it is.

00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce3 IDE (rev a5) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device a550
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0
I/O ports at f000 [size=16]

--
John Covici

by John Covici

OK, I have just tried 2.6.2 and although it recognizes the chip, it
sets all the disks to udma33 whereas I know at least two of them will
work at 133.

Any ideas?