2008-08-10 06:47:33

by Grant Coady

Subject: Query: should 'Marvell SATA support' depend on PCI?

Hi Alan,

I was reworking the ATA driver menu patch to shrink it (merge 'depends on'
lines) and noticed that the:

config SATA_MV
tristate "Marvell SATA support (HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL)"
depends on EXPERIMENTAL
help
This option enables support for the Marvell Serial ATA family.
Currently supports 88SX[56]0[48][01] chips.

doesn't have 'depends on PCI && EXPERIMENTAL' like other drivers around
it, this is okay or should it also depend on PCI?

Grant.

2008-08-10 12:05:41

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Sunday, 10 of August 2008, Grant Coady wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I was reworking the ATA driver menu patch to shrink it (merge 'depends on'
> lines) and noticed that the:
>
> config SATA_MV
> tristate "Marvell SATA support (HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL)"
> depends on EXPERIMENTAL
> help
> This option enables support for the Marvell Serial ATA family.
> Currently supports 88SX[56]0[48][01] chips.
>
> doesn't have 'depends on PCI && EXPERIMENTAL' like other drivers around
> it, this is okay or should it also depend on PCI?

Well, I think so. It obviously depends on PCI.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-08-10 12:13:36

by Alan

> > doesn't have 'depends on PCI && EXPERIMENTAL' like other drivers around
> > it, this is okay or should it also depend on PCI?
>
> Well, I think so. It obviously depends on PCI.

Obviously ? Try looking a bit harder

/**
* mv_platform_probe - handle a positive probe of an soc Marvell
* host
* @pdev: platform device found
*
* LOCKING:
* Inherited from caller.
*/
static int mv_platform_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)

Alan

2008-08-10 12:24:23

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Sunday, 10 of August 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > doesn't have 'depends on PCI && EXPERIMENTAL' like other drivers around
> > > it, this is okay or should it also depend on PCI?
> >
> > Well, I think so. It obviously depends on PCI.
>
> Obviously ? Try looking a bit harder
>
> /**
> * mv_platform_probe - handle a positive probe of an soc Marvell
> * host
> * @pdev: platform device found
> *
> * LOCKING:
> * Inherited from caller.
> */
> static int mv_platform_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)

Sorry, I didn't notice the '#ifdef CONFIG_PCI' in there.

Rafael

2008-08-10 12:25:25

by Frans Pop

Grant Coady wrote:
> I was reworking the ATA driver menu patch to shrink it (merge 'depends
> on' lines) and noticed that the:
>
> config SATA_MV
> tristate "Marvell SATA support (HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL)"
> depends on EXPERIMENTAL
> help
> This option enables support for the Marvell Serial ATA family.
> Currently supports 88SX[56]0[48][01] chips.
>
> doesn't have 'depends on PCI && EXPERIMENTAL' like other drivers around
> it, this is okay or should it also depend on PCI?

AFAICT it should not as it can also be implemented as a platform device.

I have SATA_MV on a QNAP TS-109 NAS dervice (arm) and lspci on that gives me:
$ lspci
00:00.0 Memory controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 5182 (rev 02)
01:00.0 Memory controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 5182 (rev 02)

So the disk controller is not on the PCI bus.
And in /sys/ I see sata_mv listed under devices/platform/.

Cheers,
FJP