2021-08-24 18:13:33

by Raul Piper

Subject: Which tool to use for Mesh Testing

Hello ,
Which tool I can use for Ble Mesh testing, meshctl or gatt-mesh or any
other ? I followed few mails and came to know meshctl is not fit for
use. Please advice.
I want to test both PB-ADV and PB-GATT.
Thanks in advance !
Regards,
Rp

2021-08-27 06:35:35

by Stotland, Inga

Subject: Re: Which tool to use for Mesh Testing

Hi Raul,

On Tue, 2021-08-24 at 23:40 +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> Hello ,
> Which tool I can use for Ble Mesh testing, meshctl or gatt-mesh or
> any
> other ? I followed few mails and came to know meshctl is not fit for
> use. Please advice.
> I want to test both PB-ADV and PB-GATT.
> Thanks in advance !
> Regards,
> Rp

Please use tools/mesh-cfgclient to test with PB-ADV. You can use it to
provision and configure mesh nodes.
There is also a python-based tool: test/test-mesh that implements
on/off model and could be provisioned as a mesh node using mesh-
cfgclient.

As for PB-GATT, meshctl would be the tool for that, BUT it hasn't been
updated in a long while, and I don't expect it to be functional.

Regards,
Inga

2021-08-27 07:52:00

by Raul Piper

OK , Thanks Inga,
I will not use meshctl as of now based on this information.
So currently there is no PB-GATT support in mesh-cfg client?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 12:03 PM Stotland, Inga <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Raul,
>
> On Tue, 2021-08-24 at 23:40 +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> > Hello ,
> > Which tool I can use for Ble Mesh testing, meshctl or gatt-mesh or
> > any
> > other ? I followed few mails and came to know meshctl is not fit for
> > use. Please advice.
> > I want to test both PB-ADV and PB-GATT.
> > Thanks in advance !
> > Regards,
> > Rp
>
> Please use tools/mesh-cfgclient to test with PB-ADV. You can use it to
> provision and configure mesh nodes.
> There is also a python-based tool: test/test-mesh that implements
> on/off model and could be provisioned as a mesh node using mesh-
> cfgclient.
>
> As for PB-GATT, meshctl would be the tool for that, BUT it hasn't been
> updated in a long while, and I don't expect it to be functional.
>
> Regards,
> Inga

2021-09-12 18:19:53

by Gix, Brian

On Fri, 2021-08-27 at 13:20 +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> OK , Thanks Inga,
> I will not use meshctl as of now based on this information.
> So currently there is no  PB-GATT support in mesh-cfg client?

This is correct, but we are always looking for volunteers to implement GATT support.

We eventually want to add Proxy Server support in the daemon, but we will probably never implement Proxy
Client, because it does not have a practical purpose in a mesh system. Proxy is consdered a method to support
advertising incapable legacy devices (like an older mobile phone) so providing a Server a legacy device can
connect to is desirable, but a Client would be pointless except as a test tool.