2013-08-08 19:04:29

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit in New Orleans -- 19-20 September (6 weeks from today!)

Sorry, forgot to copy linux-bluetooth and linux-nfc...

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 02:54:11PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> This is a reminder that we will have a Linux Wireless Mini-Summit in
> New Orleans this year on 19-20 September. This will immediately follow
> LinuxCon and will run concurrently with Linux Plumber's Conference.
> This event includes Linux developers for wireless LAN (802.11),
> Bluetooth, and NFC technologies. Both kernel and userland developers
> are welcomed and heartily encouraged to attend!
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/New-Orleans-2013
>
> The link above is a Wiki. We are using it to collect discussion
> topics and to negotiate agenda/scheduling options for the event.
> Please go there to record your intent to attend the event and to
> propopse topics for discussion.
>
> Please be aware that in order to attend the event above one must
> register for either LinuxCon or for Linux Plumbers Conference.
> Act now, before those events fill-up and close their registrations!
>
> We are allotted one "large" room (up to ~80 people "theater style"), and
> two "small" rooms (up to ~25 people) for this event. Based on history
> and the numbers of contributors, the larger room will primarily be
> for the 802.11 discussions and any "plenary" topics while the smaller
> rooms will be for Bluetooth, NFC, and any "breakout" topics.
>
> So...thoughts? Topics to discuss?
>
> John
> --
> John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
> [email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-09-12 19:31:20

by Daniel Wagner

Subject: Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit in New Orleans -- 19-20 September

On 09/12/2013 08:48 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On 09/09/2013 09:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
>>> Dan Williams, Daniel Wagner, etc -- anyone got some user stories
>>> to share?
>>
>> Not much news from the user front, though I could give a short
>> update what's happening on ConnMan if you like.
>
> I think that Patrik Flykt is going to handle that...

Great.

> Surely there is some infotainment angle to be discussed?? :-)

Sure, if that is of any interest. There is also the automotive
uconf during the LPC which wireless (BT and Wifi) is shortly
discussed. Repeating/summarizing wouldn't be a problem, I guess.

cheers,
daniel

2013-09-12 19:26:06

by Dan Williams

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 14:48 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 08:38:26PM +0200, Daniel Wagner wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On 09/09/2013 09:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > >Dan Williams, Daniel Wagner, etc -- anyone got some user stories
> > >to share?
> >
> > Not much news from the user front, though I could give a short
> > update what's happening on ConnMan if you like.
>
> I think that Patrik Flykt is going to handle that...
>
> Surely there is some infotainment angle to be discussed?? :-)

I can do a short update on NetworkManager too, but there's no
infotainment angle to it at all :)

Dan

2013-09-12 18:48:35

by John W. Linville

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 08:38:26PM +0200, Daniel Wagner wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 09/09/2013 09:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:

> >Dan Williams, Daniel Wagner, etc -- anyone got some user stories
> >to share?
>
> Not much news from the user front, though I could give a short
> update what's happening on ConnMan if you like.

I think that Patrik Flykt is going to handle that...

Surely there is some infotainment angle to be discussed?? :-)

--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-09-12 18:38:26

by Daniel Wagner

Hi John,

On 09/09/2013 09:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:04:52AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> Ping? We're now just 2 weeks away!
>>>
>>> Is our topic list complete? It looks a bit light...
>>>
>>> Anyone have any input on scheduling the topics? Are there any
>>> overlapping LPC sessions that it would make sense to work around?
>>
>> I'm attending though I haven't put my name on the wiki yet.
>>
>> Random thoughts; it doesn't look like any of these are covered in the
>> regular LinuxConf or LPC sessions.
>>
>> 1) State of the Union (maybe by multiple people in the same session per
>> their expertise), since perhaps not everyone doing eg 802.11 stuff knows
>> what's happening in BT or NFC land, or not everyone working on a
>> specific driver may know what new stuff their driver might need to be
>> fixed up for. Maybe 5 minutes or less for things like:
>>
>> * what's under the most active development right now?
>> * upcoming new driver, hardware, and new capabilities
>> * new 802.11 standards
>> * and what's coming up in the next year from the standards orgs
>> * what people will start working on soon
>> * what will 3.13 or 3.14 look like from a wireless perspective?
>> * 11s mesh status?
>> * anything interesting in wpa_supplicant land?
>> * anything new/interesting on the Android front?
>>
>> 2) Bluetooth - update about what's new and what's coming up in Bluez
>> land, and interaction with kernel 802.11 if any,
>>
>> 3) NFC - update about what's new and what's coming up in NFC land, where
>> it's getting used, what the stack looks like
>>
>> 4) What are users having the most problems with and how these problems
>> be fixed better/more quickly? Are they driver bugs? Are they stack
>> bugs? Supplicant bugs? NM/GUI/etc bugs? Is there anything in our
>> development processes that's not working as smoothly as it could be?
>
> Thanks, Dan -- those all look like decent discussion points.
> I've added most of the points above to the topic list:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/New-Orleans-2013
>
> Now, we need a few volunteers...
>
> Gustavo, can you do a session on Bluetooth developments?
>
> Samuel, can you cover NFC?
>
> Jouni, would you mind doing your usual update on the standards
> activities? Also, is there anything new/interesting to report on
> wpa_suppliant and/or hostapd?
>
> Johannes, would you cover your vision for mac80211 for the next year
> or so? Anything in progress now that needs to be discussed?
>
> Who should cover any Android topics?
>
> Arend, Kalle, Johannes, Luca, etc -- anyone want to talk about driver
> developments and/or issues between drivers and mac80211 or other
> parts of the stack?
>
> Seth, Stanislaw, etc -- anyone want to cover issues dealing with
> supporting wireless in distributions?
>
> Dan Williams, Daniel Wagner, etc -- anyone got some user stories
> to share?

Not much news from the user front, though I could give a short
update what's happening on ConnMan if you like.

> [...]

2013-09-10 09:46:55

by Samuel Ortiz

Hi Marcel, John,

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 13:48 -0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi John,

> >> I'm attending though I haven't put my name on the wiki yet.
> >>
> >> Random thoughts; it doesn't look like any of these are covered in the
> >> regular LinuxConf or LPC sessions.
> >>
> >> 1) State of the Union (maybe by multiple people in the same session per
> >> their expertise), since perhaps not everyone doing eg 802.11 stuff knows
> >> what's happening in BT or NFC land, or not everyone working on a
> >> specific driver may know what new stuff their driver might need to be
> >> fixed up for. Maybe 5 minutes or less for things like:
> >>
> >> * what's under the most active development right now?
> >> * upcoming new driver, hardware, and new capabilities
> >> * new 802.11 standards
> >> * and what's coming up in the next year from the standards orgs
> >> * what people will start working on soon
> >> * what will 3.13 or 3.14 look like from a wireless perspective?
> >> * 11s mesh status?
> >> * anything interesting in wpa_supplicant land?
> >> * anything new/interesting on the Android front?
> >>
> >> 2) Bluetooth - update about what's new and what's coming up in Bluez
> >> land, and interaction with kernel 802.11 if any,
> >>
> >> 3) NFC - update about what's new and what's coming up in NFC land, where
> >> it's getting used, what the stack looks like
> >>
> >> 4) What are users having the most problems with and how these problems
> >> be fixed better/more quickly? Are they driver bugs? Are they stack
> >> bugs? Supplicant bugs? NM/GUI/etc bugs? Is there anything in our
> >> development processes that's not working as smoothly as it could be?
> >
> > Thanks, Dan -- those all look like decent discussion points.
> > I've added most of the points above to the topic list:
> >
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/New-Orleans-2013
> >
> > Now, we need a few volunteers...
> >
> > Gustavo, can you do a session on Bluetooth developments?
> >
> > Samuel, can you cover NFC?
>
> I can do the Bluetooth part and I am just volunteering Samuel for NFC ;)
Thanks Marcel for the initiative ;)
John, I'll do the NFC part, sorry for not being able to reply earlier.

Cheers,
Samuel.

2013-09-10 07:59:34

by Arend van Spriel

On 09/09/2013 09:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> Arend, Kalle, Johannes, Luca, etc -- anyone want to talk about driver
> developments and/or issues between drivers and mac80211 or other
> parts of the stack?

Hi John

Because of personal reasons I am not attending this year. I would have
loved to celebrate my birthday in New Orleans and have a couple of beers
with you guys. Oh well. Guess I owe you.

Regards,
Arend

2013-09-10 06:28:28

by Luca Coelho

Hi John,

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 15:23 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> Arend, Kalle, Johannes, Luca, etc -- anyone want to talk about driver
> developments and/or issues between drivers and mac80211 or other
> parts of the stack?

Unfortunately I didn't get "sponsorship" to join the summit this year.
Second one (for different reasons) that I'll miss in a row. Hopefully
next time I'll be there.

Have fun! :)

Luca.

2013-09-09 21:50:50

by Seth Forshee

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 03:23:46PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> Seth, Stanislaw, etc -- anyone want to cover issues dealing with
> supporting wireless in distributions?

Probably best if we can get input from all those present representing
distros. I'm happy to share about what our biggest pain points are in
Ubuntu.

Seth

2013-09-09 20:48:42

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi John,

>>> Ping? We're now just 2 weeks away!
>>>
>>> Is our topic list complete? It looks a bit light...
>>>
>>> Anyone have any input on scheduling the topics? Are there any
>>> overlapping LPC sessions that it would make sense to work around?
>>
>> I'm attending though I haven't put my name on the wiki yet.
>>
>> Random thoughts; it doesn't look like any of these are covered in the
>> regular LinuxConf or LPC sessions.
>>
>> 1) State of the Union (maybe by multiple people in the same session per
>> their expertise), since perhaps not everyone doing eg 802.11 stuff knows
>> what's happening in BT or NFC land, or not everyone working on a
>> specific driver may know what new stuff their driver might need to be
>> fixed up for. Maybe 5 minutes or less for things like:
>>
>> * what's under the most active development right now?
>> * upcoming new driver, hardware, and new capabilities
>> * new 802.11 standards
>> * and what's coming up in the next year from the standards orgs
>> * what people will start working on soon
>> * what will 3.13 or 3.14 look like from a wireless perspective?
>> * 11s mesh status?
>> * anything interesting in wpa_supplicant land?
>> * anything new/interesting on the Android front?
>>
>> 2) Bluetooth - update about what's new and what's coming up in Bluez
>> land, and interaction with kernel 802.11 if any,
>>
>> 3) NFC - update about what's new and what's coming up in NFC land, where
>> it's getting used, what the stack looks like
>>
>> 4) What are users having the most problems with and how these problems
>> be fixed better/more quickly? Are they driver bugs? Are they stack
>> bugs? Supplicant bugs? NM/GUI/etc bugs? Is there anything in our
>> development processes that's not working as smoothly as it could be?
>
> Thanks, Dan -- those all look like decent discussion points.
> I've added most of the points above to the topic list:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/New-Orleans-2013
>
> Now, we need a few volunteers...
>
> Gustavo, can you do a session on Bluetooth developments?
>
> Samuel, can you cover NFC?

I can do the Bluetooth part and I am just volunteering Samuel for NFC ;)

Regards

Marcel

by John W. Linville

> [...]

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/New-Orleans-2013

Now, we need a few volunteers...

Gustavo, can you do a session on Bluetooth developments?

Samuel, can you cover NFC?

Jouni, would you mind doing your usual update on the standards
activities? Also, is there anything new/interesting to report on
wpa_suppliant and/or hostapd?

Johannes, would you cover your vision for mac80211 for the next year
or so? Anything in progress now that needs to be discussed?

Who should cover any Android topics?

Arend, Kalle, Johannes, Luca, etc -- anyone want to talk about driver
developments and/or issues between drivers and mac80211 or other
parts of the stack?

Seth, Stanislaw, etc -- anyone want to cover issues dealing with
supporting wireless in distributions?

Dan Williams, Daniel Wagner, etc -- anyone got some user stories

Dan Williams, Marcel Holtmann -- how about a NM vs. ConnMan death
match?? :-)

Let's get this stuff fleshed-out!

John

P.S. Has everyone added themselves to the attendee list? It looks
a little short...
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-09-05 16:04:52

by Dan Williams

> [...]

* new 802.11 standards
* and what's coming up in the next year from the standards orgs
* what people will start working on soon
* what will 3.13 or 3.14 look like from a wireless perspective?
* 11s mesh status?
* anything interesting in wpa_supplicant land?
* anything new/interesting on the Android front?

2) Bluetooth - update about what's new and what's coming up in Bluez
land, and interaction with kernel 802.11 if any,

3) NFC - update about what's new and what's coming up in NFC land, where
it's getting used, what the stack looks like

4) What are users having the most problems with and how these problems
be fixed better/more quickly? Are they driver bugs? Are they stack
bugs? Supplicant bugs? NM/GUI/etc bugs? Is there anything in our
development processes that's not working as smoothly as it could be?

2013-09-05 13:39:07

by John W. Linville