2008-01-04 17:21:48

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: A new NFSv4 server...

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:28:10AM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Plus, surely in this day and age, we can figure out something better
> > than waiting for face-to-face events to test something. Maybe somebody
> > could arrange a donation of some slice of a grid (Amazon EC2?), make
> > various OS images available, and give engineers some way to request a
> > selection of tests, with a selection of OS images?
>
> I tried putting a server up accessible over the internet and only ever
> got one person testing on it once (or maybe it was just a hacker:-). I
> did test my client against a server at CITI once, after signing a
> bakeathon NDA. But, I agree, and I don't really think it even needs
> a central site. I don't see why vendors couldn't put up servers
> (production software or whatever they are comfortable having internet
> accessible) that clients can test against. I'll be happy to put my
> server up and I'd be happy to test against internet accessible servers
> with my client.

Ditto. I think it'd be great to have a variety of client and server
implementations available over the net, but I've had no luck talking
anybody else into it.

--b.

2008-01-04 18:03:54

by Tom Haynes

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> Ditto. I think it'd be great to have a variety of client and server
> implementations available over the net, but I've had no luck talking
> anybody else into it.
>
> --b.

I suspect that the explosion of virtual servers has
probably killed this type of effort. It appears much
easier for me to give you an image than to expose
a machine on the network.

Sun actually has a set of test machines the public can
use to regression test OpenSolaris fixes. I'm not sure
if it can accommodate foreign OSes just yet.

And to add to Rick's story, we've got the pNFS enabled
bits available for download. We've only gotten feedback
from one person. So either our code is really great and
we are not getting feedback, or people are just waiting
for the pNFS implementations to mature.

We did get a request to make the bits available as a
VMware image. :->

2008-01-04 19:51:00

by Jeff Garzik

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:28:10AM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:
>>> Plus, surely in this day and age, we can figure out something better
>>> than waiting for face-to-face events to test something. Maybe somebody
>>> could arrange a donation of some slice of a grid (Amazon EC2?), make
>>> various OS images available, and give engineers some way to request a
>>> selection of tests, with a selection of OS images?
>> I tried putting a server up accessible over the internet and only ever
>> got one person testing on it once (or maybe it was just a hacker:-). I
>> did test my client against a server at CITI once, after signing a
>> bakeathon NDA. But, I agree, and I don't really think it even needs
>> a central site. I don't see why vendors couldn't put up servers
>> (production software or whatever they are comfortable having internet
>> accessible) that clients can test against. I'll be happy to put my
>> server up and I'd be happy to test against internet accessible servers
>> with my client.
>
> Ditto. I think it'd be great to have a variety of client and server
> implementations available over the net, but I've had no luck talking
> anybody else into it.

I think blanket public access wouldn't be as effective as passworded
access to a cluster, much like how people get accounts on kernel.org
(which is an excellent model for shared-interest services).

On the test cluster, I would want to be able to really stress my
software, which to any normal firewall or casual observer would look
like a DoS attempt.

Jeff

2008-01-04 19:57:35

by Peter Åstrand

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > Ditto. I think it'd be great to have a variety of client and server
> > implementations available over the net, but I've had no luck talking
> > anybody else into it.
>
> I think blanket public access wouldn't be as effective as passworded access to
> a cluster, much like how people get accounts on kernel.org (which is an
> excellent model for shared-interest services).
>
> On the test cluster, I would want to be able to really stress my software,
> which to any normal firewall or casual observer would look like a DoS attempt.

I'm not afraid of stress-tests that looks like DoS attempts. What worries
me is that a writable export will be used for sharing warez or something
like that.

Rgds,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer