2011-09-29 16:52:55

by Jim Rees

Subject: Block layout status

Since the call doesn't seem to be happening, here's my status.

On 16 Sep I sent these bug fixes to Trond for 3.1:

Jim Rees (2):
pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
Peng Tao (3):
pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put

These are the ones I think are important enough, and low enough risk to
anyone else, that they should be considered for 3.1 even though it's late in
the release cycle. They have not shown up upstream. Trond?

On 22 Sep I sent these to Trond for 3.2. I believe these are all in Benny's
tree now (sorry about that, Benny):

Jim Rees (2):
pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
Peng Tao (8):
SUNRPC/NFS: make rpc pipe upcall generic
pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
pnfs: make _set_lo_fail generic
- pnfsblock: init pg_bsize properly
pnfs: recoalesce when ld write pagelist fails
pnfs: recoalesce when ld read pagelist fails
pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock

This includes all the bug fixes for 3.1 plus some others that are less
important or higher risk. Notice that "init pg_bsize properly" is wrong and
should not be used. Benny, you may want to remove this from your tree, or I
can send a revert patch.

Missing from these is one more, "nfs4: serialize layoutcommit" that's
important but I somehow missed it.

The recent automount changes really screwed us up but I just built a kernel
from Linus's latest, which includes the patches from Trond, and it passes
all tests so I think we're still ok for 3.1.

2011-10-06 12:52:49

by Benny Halevy

Subject: Re: Block layout status

On 2011-09-29 19:52, Jim Rees wrote:
> Since the call doesn't seem to be happening, here's my status.
>
> On 16 Sep I sent these bug fixes to Trond for 3.1:
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> Peng Tao (3):
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
>
> These are the ones I think are important enough, and low enough risk to
> anyone else, that they should be considered for 3.1 even though it's late in
> the release cycle. They have not shown up upstream. Trond?
>
> On 22 Sep I sent these to Trond for 3.2. I believe these are all in Benny's
> tree now (sorry about that, Benny):
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> Peng Tao (8):
> SUNRPC/NFS: make rpc pipe upcall generic
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
> pnfs: make _set_lo_fail generic
> - pnfsblock: init pg_bsize properly
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld write pagelist fails
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld read pagelist fails
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
>
> This includes all the bug fixes for 3.1 plus some others that are less
> important or higher risk. Notice that "init pg_bsize properly" is wrong and
> should not be used. Benny, you may want to remove this from your tree, or I
> can send a revert patch.

Done. Released under pnfs-all-3.1-rc8-2011-10-06

Thanks,

Benny

Boaz Harrosh wrote:

On 09/29/2011 07:52 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
> Since the call doesn't seem to be happening, here's my status.
>
> On 16 Sep I sent these bug fixes to Trond for 3.1:
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> Peng Tao (3):
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
>
> These are the ones I think are important enough, and low enough risk to
> anyone else, that they should be considered for 3.1 even though it's late in
> the release cycle. They have not shown up upstream. Trond?
>
> On 22 Sep I sent these to Trond for 3.2. I believe these are all in Benny's
> tree now (sorry about that, Benny):
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> Peng Tao (8):
> SUNRPC/NFS: make rpc pipe upcall generic
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
> pnfs: make _set_lo_fail generic
> - pnfsblock: init pg_bsize properly
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld write pagelist fails
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld read pagelist fails
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock

Hi Jim I think this "writeback deadlock" should be sent for
current 3.1 since surly it renders pnfsblock unusable. If you
feel it has not been tested enough consider submitting it with
CC: stable@. Because it should hit 3.1.x eventually. No?
(While at it maybe some of the other clear FIXs above as well
these that make it unusable)

I did send it to Trond (see the first list above). If the patches from the
first list don't show up in 3.1 I will send them again with cc: stable.

2011-10-03 09:20:35

by Boaz Harrosh

On 09/29/2011 07:52 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
> Since the call doesn't seem to be happening, here's my status.
>
> On 16 Sep I sent these bug fixes to Trond for 3.1:
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> Peng Tao (3):
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
>
> These are the ones I think are important enough, and low enough risk to
> anyone else, that they should be considered for 3.1 even though it's late in
> the release cycle. They have not shown up upstream. Trond?
>
> On 22 Sep I sent these to Trond for 3.2. I believe these are all in Benny's
> tree now (sorry about that, Benny):
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> Peng Tao (8):
> SUNRPC/NFS: make rpc pipe upcall generic
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
> pnfs: make _set_lo_fail generic
> - pnfsblock: init pg_bsize properly
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld write pagelist fails
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld read pagelist fails
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock

Hi Jim I think this "writeback deadlock" should be sent for
current 3.1 since surly it renders pnfsblock unusable. If you
feel it has not been tested enough consider submitting it with
CC: stable@. Because it should hit 3.1.x eventually. No?
(While at it maybe some of the other clear FIXs above as well
these that make it unusable)

Thanks
Boaz

On 2011-09-29 19:52, Jim Rees wrote:
> Since the call doesn't seem to be happening, here's my status.
>
> On 16 Sep I sent these bug fixes to Trond for 3.1:
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> Peng Tao (3):
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
>
> These are the ones I think are important enough, and low enough risk to
> anyone else, that they should be considered for 3.1 even though it's late in
> the release cycle. They have not shown up upstream. Trond?
>
> On 22 Sep I sent these to Trond for 3.2. I believe these are all in Benny's
> tree now (sorry about that, Benny):
>
> Jim Rees (2):
> pnfsblock: fix return code confusion
> pnfsblock: fix size of upcall message
> Peng Tao (8):
> SUNRPC/NFS: make rpc pipe upcall generic
> pnfsblock: add missing rpc_put_mount and path_put
> pnfs: make _set_lo_fail generic
> - pnfsblock: init pg_bsize properly
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld write pagelist fails
> pnfs: recoalesce when ld read pagelist fails
> pnfsblock: fix NULL pointer dereference
> pnfsblock: fix writeback deadlock
>
> This includes all the bug fixes for 3.1 plus some others that are less
> important or higher risk. Notice that "init pg_bsize properly" is wrong and
> should not be used. Benny, you may want to remove this from your tree, or I
> can send a revert patch.

No need. I'll just remove it from my tree.

> Missing from these is one more, "nfs4: serialize layoutcommit" that's
> important but I somehow missed it.
>
> The recent automount changes really screwed us up but I just built a kernel
> from Linus's latest, which includes the patches from Trond, and it passes
> all tests so I think we're still ok for 3.1.

Great. I'll rebase and release accordingly.

Benny