2004-01-18 11:11:22

by Edd Dumbill

Subject: [Bluez-devel] libtool and autoconf versions

The BlueZ packages still use libtool1.4 and autoconf2.13, which are
outdated.

Debian wants to remove support for libtool1.4. The reasons for the
dropping of libtool1.4 are here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200401/msg00968.html

What do you think to the idea of updating to libtool1.5 and autoconf2.5
(and a newer automake too)?

It's not actually critical right now, as I am not likely to need to
re-run autoconf or libtool to package BlueZ, but it seems likely that
it's a good idea to move to more updated versions of these tools.

-- Edd

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] libtool and autoconf versions

Hi Edd,

> > what version of libtool and autoconf is used for Debian Woody?
>
> libtool1.4, autoconf2.53
>
> > Do Debian
> > Sarge already uses the new versions?
>
> sarge (and unstable) have autoconf2.59, libtool1.5

ok, I see. Sarge is on its way becoming stable so it is indeed a good
idea to ship new autoconf and libtool versions with the next tarballs.

Regards

Marcel

by Edd Dumbill

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 01:53, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Edd,
>
> > > I'm talking about what's shipped in the tarballs, which uses
> > > libtool1.4. Packagers for distros rely on the tarball releases. In the
> > > (admittedly) unlikely event that changes need to be made and autoconf
> > > re-run for the purposes of packaging, the old ac and libtool would be
> > > needed.
> > I see. Yeah, I think we should release our tarballs with new autoconf.
> > Marcel, it's time for you to upgrade ;-).
>
> what version of libtool and autoconf is used for Debian Woody?

libtool1.4, autoconf2.53

> Do Debian
> Sarge already uses the new versions?

sarge (and unstable) have autoconf2.59, libtool1.5

-- Edd

2004-01-21 01:53:26

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Edd,

> > I'm talking about what's shipped in the tarballs, which uses
> > libtool1.4. Packagers for distros rely on the tarball releases. In the
> > (admittedly) unlikely event that changes need to be made and autoconf
> > re-run for the purposes of packaging, the old ac and libtool would be
> > needed.
> I see. Yeah, I think we should release our tarballs with new autoconf.
> Marcel, it's time for you to upgrade ;-).

what version of libtool and autoconf is used for Debian Woody? Do Debian
Sarge already uses the new versions?

Regards

Marcel

by Max Krasnyansky

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 13:05, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 21:02, Max Krasnyansky wrote:
> > I'd say lets update.
> > btw What exactly depends on the old autoconf ? I mean if you just run
> > ./bootstrap on the machine that has new version it just works right.
> > At least it does on Fedora with the latest au
>
> I'm talking about what's shipped in the tarballs, which uses
> libtool1.4. Packagers for distros rely on the tarball releases. In the
> (admittedly) unlikely event that changes need to be made and autoconf
> re-run for the purposes of packaging, the old ac and libtool would be
> needed.
I see. Yeah, I think we should release our tarballs with new autoconf.
Marcel, it's time for you to upgrade ;-).

Max

by Edd Dumbill

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 21:02, Max Krasnyansky wrote:
> I'd say lets update.
> btw What exactly depends on the old autoconf ? I mean if you just run
> ./bootstrap on the machine that has new version it just works right.
> At least it does on Fedora with the latest au

I'm talking about what's shipped in the tarballs, which uses
libtool1.4. Packagers for distros rely on the tarball releases. In the
(admittedly) unlikely event that changes need to be made and autoconf
re-run for the purposes of packaging, the old ac and libtool would be
needed.

-- Edd

by Max Krasnyansky

I'd say lets update.
btw What exactly depends on the old autoconf ? I mean if you just run
./bootstrap on the machine that has new version it just works right.
At least it does on Fedora with the latest autoconf.

Max